• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andy Pred 48

Targets for the Wings

Rate this topic

159 posts in this topic

I feel like Hronek, Saarijarvi, and possibly Cholowski could each vie for a top 2 spot... I'd be surprised if they all don't at least pan out to be top 4 d-men.  I'm especially excited about Hronek.

4 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

I feel like Hronek, Saarijarvi, and possibly Cholowski could each vie for a top 2 spot... I'd be surprised if they all don't at least pan out to be top 4 d-men.  I'm especially excited about Hronek.

Most people thought the same about Sproul, Marchenko, XO, and Jensen.

4 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Most people thought the same about Sproul, Marchenko, XO, and Jensen.

I don't know about that... For me anyway, and I know some others as well, seen it more as Sproul being the only guy with top pair potential. Ouellet and Jensen as bottom 4 guys and Marchenko as a bottom pair guy. And honestly, not much has changed for me, except for Sproul, unless he can get out of Detroit...

9 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

I see all as middle pairing guys at the NHL level. Maybe one might surprise and become and solid number two, but I highly doubt any develop into the stud number one we so badly need. 

I don't think anyone thought of late round picks like Jensen and Marchenko as being top tier guys...I think Jensen is a 2nd pair guy on a decent team based solely on his skating.  On a Cup team he's a 3rd pairing guy who can play with the second unit when injuries hit. Given his draft position..he's a steal.  Given his offensive instincts...I' love to see him on the wing for a bit

Sproul was the OHL dman of the year and Oullett is smart...his skating never developed much so that hamstrings him.  He's another bad team 2nd/ good team 3rd pairing guy who could have been more with better wheels.  Sproul has been slow to develop...but the potential is there. He's big, has a cannon for a shot (RH) and he can skate.  At 23 yrs old..he's at the crossroads.  the tools for a top pairing ...or at the very least a really good second pairing ..are there.

I've seen a fair amount of Vili...he's a top pairing guy potentially.  Sambrook is another guy who has a future.  Haven't seen enough of Hronek, Cholo or anyone else to say. I want to see how Holway develops in college.   

krsmith17 likes this

If we could get rid of the always injured guys back there, we could see how good these kids may be sooner rather than later...

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

If we could get rid of the always injured guys back there, we could see how good these kids may be sooner rather than later...

Should have started happening 2 or 3 years ago instead of waiting until they had to clear waivers.  

LeftWinger likes this

Havent watched enough of Sambrook, but he sounds good

Cholo had a rough first year in the NCAA numbers wise, but from what I hear he was relied upon heavily for a freshmen

Hronek and Saarijarvi are very exciting players. Both potential Rafalski/Krug types. Hicketts should be in the conversation with them too. Issue with these 3 is the size obviously. Choosing the right complimentary partners to play with them should mitigate that though. Im thinking Stuart/Methot types. XO/Jensen could be our answer already.

krsmith17 likes this

I've been impressed with Sambrook in the few games I've seen. I've only seen one game of Cholowski with the Griffins a few weeks ago, and he looked decent for his first game pro. I've seen a few of both Hronek and Saarijarvi and I like what I see with both. I agree that Hicketts should be in the discussion as well. He's probably the defenseman I'm highest on in the system. Kid comes to play every night, and is an absolute warrior. No one tell him he's only 5'8", because I'm sure he has no idea. Plays like he's 6'4", and hits like a ton of bricks. I thought that might come to a halt once he turned pro, but if anything I think he's become even more aggressive and uses his body more. It will be interesting to see if he's able to play the same game in the NHL though... Again though, I'd be surprised if any become top pair at the NHL level, and completely shocked if any become a legit number one...

13 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I've been impressed with Sambrook in the few games I've seen. I've only seen one game of Cholowski with the Griffins a few weeks ago, and he looked decent for his first game pro. I've seen a few of both Hronek and Saarijarvi and I like what I see with both. I agree that Hicketts should be in the discussion as well. He's probably the defenseman I'm highest on in the system. Kid comes to play every night, and is an absolute warrior. No one tell him he's only 5'8", because I'm sure he has no idea. Plays like he's 6'4", and hits like a ton of bricks. I thought that might come to a halt once he turned pro, but if anything I think he's become even more aggressive and uses his body more. It will be interesting to see if he's able to play the same game in the NHL though... Again though, I'd be surprised if any become top pair at the NHL level, and completely shocked if any become a legit number one...

Saarijarvi plays chippy for an undersized guy as well. I'm a big fan of Jeff Mareks, and he's super high on Joe Hicketts. Hoping that's a good sign. I doubt any of them are the next Erik Karlsson, but hopefully at best one is a guy who can compliment a legit #1 or hold down the 2nd pair.

Just gotta find the #1, somehow, someway 

krsmith17 likes this