• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Targets for the Wings

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Seriously? You think Zetterberg should be our number 3 center? After the season he just had, ranking 11th in the league in points? Zetterberg proved, not that he can just keep up, but that he's still an elite level player. He's putting up great numbers, while still being one of the better two-way centers in the game. Z is still far and away our best center (and our best player), and he will be our top center until he inevitably slows down. Maybe that's this year, maybe next year, but until then, he is our best option down the middle, and it's not even close.

Nowhere did I not acknowledge his other worldly performance from last season.  I didn't say that he is no better than a #3 center, I simply said, he cannot be expected to keep preforming that way, and it would be wrong of Blashill to keep putting that on him.  Will he carry the team if he had to? Of course, he is the captain and he bleeds for the Wings.  But at some point we have to be fair to this guy and let his body relax and stop putting all that #1 center stuff on his shoulders. Much like Steve in the 2000's. If I recall, about 100% of you guys last summer ALL said he'd be a better fit at #3, with less work load, when we were in the imaginary world of landing Stamkos.  I simply said, if we got a legit #1 center, it would benefit Z and the team to slot him in #3C to prolong his career...in not so many words.  You guys are always looking to turn anything I say into a slam.  Re-read the first post, nowhere did I say he wasn't worthy of his spot last season or he didn't blow everyone out of the water with his performance.

4 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Ya well, remember, most people believe that Z is still a #1 center in this league.  When in reality, because we have no better choices or because Blashill has no clue how to ice a team, he is forced to be our #1 guy still.  When in reality he would be a great #3.  His body would thank you for itHe is a warrior and most definitely did a great job last year in trying to get this team into the playoffs, but he cannot be expected to continue that.  We do need a center to be top 6, if not #1.  Jarnkrok (yes, most of us saw the sarcasm) if he was reacquired, would be a nice addition back to the team.  But, I think CRL#9 was also being a bit sarcastic, because if we acquired Jarnkrok, Balshill would have him playing bottom 6, because, well, Blashill...

He was our #1 center last season, and will probably be it again, barring a miracle from Holland, but look at the teams that are in the Final, and even the 4 teams in the CF's, he would not be #1C on any of those teams, but he would be an awesome #2C and an unstoppable #3C. That is all I meant by saying that most people believe he is a #1C, because of what he does here.  We don't have any better choices right now, except for putting Larkin there and letting him go, but is he ready? Plus we all know, Blashill thinks that Larkin and AA are both bottom 6, while Helm and Abby get more top 6 time than they do. That is all. Not a slam for being European, not a slam on his style, because he is an awesome 2-way player and I'd take 12 Z's over Crosby and his one-way play all day long.

FWIW, you guys asked me to stop being anti-Euro-Style against players, you asked me to stop being so one-way thinking towards those type of players, so I am.  Except you guys continue to just read what you want in my post's and interpret it the way you want.  If you can find where my post was anti-Z and anti-Euro-Style and anti-Swedish anywhere, let me know. It was, on the other hand, anti-Blashill for his utilization of players last season, if you read that, you are correct.

Zetterberg IS still a number one center in this league, would be on many teams and is on THIS team. THAT is the reality, not whatever you're trying to spin. I'd like to see Zetterberg's minutes reduced and Larkin's (as well as the other kids') minutes increased, but as long as Zetterberg demands the minutes (with his elite play), you don't take it away from him. You don't sit your best player when you're trying to win hockey games. You get him out there as often as you can, as often as his body will allow it. I'll admit, I was one of the many that said Zetterberg may be better suited in a 3rd line role before last season. I'll also admit that I couldn't have been more wrong about that. Z had an awful season the year before (to his standards), and it looked like he was slowing down at rapid pace. He proved this past season that that is not the case, and he still has a lot left in the tank. So I'll say it again, until he shows fatigue, you keep playing your best player, the work horse, Hank the Tank, Zetterberg as your number one center...

23 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Zetterberg IS still a number one center in this league, would be on many teams and is on THIS team. THAT is the reality, not whatever you're trying to spin. I'd like to see Zetterberg's minutes reduced and Larkin's (as well as the other kids') minutes increased, but as long as Zetterberg demands the minutes (with his elite play), you don't take it away from him. You don't sit your best player when you're trying to win hockey games. You get him out there as often as you can, as often as his body will allow it. I'll admit, I was one of the many that said Zetterberg may be better suited in a 3rd line role before last season. I'll also admit that I couldn't have been more wrong about that. Z had an awful season the year before (to his standards), and it looked like he was slowing down at rapid pace. He proved this past season that that is not the case, and he still has a lot left in the tank. So I'll say it again, until he shows fatigue, you keep playing your best player, the work horse, Hank the Tank, Zetterberg as your number one center...

Yesh but Jarnkrok is in the SCF and he used to be ours

11 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Yesh but Jarnkrok is in the SCF and he used to be ours

I know you're being sarcastic, but I'd take Jarnkrok back in a heartbeat. I get why we made that trade at the time, but we definitely lost the trade.

I think David Poile is one of the better (probably most underrated) GM's in the league (maybe not after this season)... The Forsberg trade may be one of the most lop-sided trades in recent memory. The Jarnkrok trade has worked out great for them. The Johansen for Jones trade was a great one considering their insane depth at defense. The Subban for Weber trade is up there as another one of the more lop-sided trades. I think he's been doing a great job there for quite some time, and it's all finally paying off. Good to see.

42 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I know you're being sarcastic, but I'd take Jarnkrok back in a heartbeat. I get why we made that trade at the time, but we definitely lost the trade.

I think David Poile is one of the better (probably most underrated) GM's in the league (maybe not after this season)... The Forsberg trade may be one of the most lop-sided trades in recent memory. The Jarnkrok trade has worked out great for them. The Johansen for Jones trade was a great one considering their insane depth at defense. The Subban for Weber trade is up there as another one of the more lop-sided trades. I think he's been doing a great job there for quite some time, and it's all finally paying off. Good to see.

I agree, and yeah they won the trade value-wise. We were looking for short-term gain at the sacrifice of the future.

I wouldn't be mad if somehow Jarnkrok came back, but I see him as a career 3rd line center, not exactly something we are in need of. There are lots of other players I would look at first.

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Nowhere did I not acknowledge his other worldly performance from last season.  I didn't say that he is no better than a #3 center, I simply said, he cannot be expected to keep preforming that way, and it would be wrong of Blashill to keep putting that on him.  Will he carry the team if he had to? Of course, he is the captain and he bleeds for the Wings.  But at some point we have to be fair to this guy and let his body relax and stop putting all that #1 center stuff on his shoulders. Much like Steve in the 2000's. If I recall, about 100% of you guys last summer ALL said he'd be a better fit at #3, with less work load, when we were in the imaginary world of landing Stamkos.  I simply said, if we got a legit #1 center, it would benefit Z and the team to slot him in #3C to prolong his career...in not so many words.  You guys are always looking to turn anything I say into a slam.  Re-read the first post, nowhere did I say he wasn't worthy of his spot last season or he didn't blow everyone out of the water with his performance.

He was our #1 center last season, and will probably be it again, barring a miracle from Holland, but look at the teams that are in the Final, and even the 4 teams in the CF's, he would not be #1C on any of those teams, but he would be an awesome #2C and an unstoppable #3C. That is all I meant by saying that most people believe he is a #1C, because of what he does here.  We don't have any better choices right now, except for putting Larkin there and letting him go, but is he ready? Plus we all know, Blashill thinks that Larkin and AA are both bottom 6, while Helm and Abby get more top 6 time than they do. That is all. Not a slam for being European, not a slam on his style, because he is an awesome 2-way player and I'd take 12 Z's over Crosby and his one-way play all day long.

FWIW, you guys asked me to stop being anti-Euro-Style against players, you asked me to stop being so one-way thinking towards those type of players, so I am.  Except you guys continue to just read what you want in my post's and interpret it the way you want.  If you can find where my post was anti-Z and anti-Euro-Style and anti-Swedish anywhere, let me know. It was, on the other hand, anti-Blashill for his utilization of players last season, if you read that, you are correct.

Yeah but you implied that he's not good enough to play #1. When in reality he was actually of of the better centers in the league last year. Zetterberg is like Yzerman that he plays through injuries but he's also unlike Yzerman because his body is actually pretty healthy. Probably healthier than most of the players on our team to be honest. He was the only forward to play 82 games two seasons in a row on our team. 

I think a lot of us have this narrative that Zetterberg's body is all bad and beaten up and somehow he's close to done. I don't think so, I think he's slowed down with age, I think he's had plenty of injuries that probably hurt but I think his brain is genius enough to adapt. That's what seperates guys like Zetterberg from guys like Lecavelier, Heatley, Richards, Dustin Brown. I believe that's the reason why he did so well last year, he knows his weakness is his speed, yet somehow his brain is smart enough to control the pace of the game around him. There's guys usually speeding past him but he's still two steps ahead of them mentally. 

I do agree that we need another Center. But I would rather have a 36 year old Zetterberg putting up 70 ish points and doing smart things out on ice for the other kids to watch and see than having someone like Kreiji, Bozak or one of the other non-top 10 centers out on ice. I think Blashill is right to have him as #1  because the more he plays the better Wingers guys like Mantha, Tatar, Nyquist become. Rather than having some chump be their center. And honestly if Z is willing to be the top center, and he's able to do it then I don't see what the problem is. Have Larkin be #2C and AA #3C and trade Nielsen somehow

Edited by kickazz

Larkin was playing big in minutes at the world's, I think he'll be stepping up this year as will AA and thus helping to reducing the Capts mins, which will pay dividends for the Wings next year.

Edited by Andy Pred 48

23 minutes ago, brett said:

rumor has it wild is going to trade one of dumba or brodin....

Yeah, but would cost our 1st most likely, and maybe more depending on how desperate. I don't like that idea, but it's not the worst thing that could happen for sure. Dumba is pretty much looking like Kronwall 2.0.

Personally, I think Dallas will give up the 3rd for one of them (or maybe for Trouba or Hamonic) and this board will go bats***.

Avs could make a bid as well, but I'd think it'd be more likely for them to use Duchene/Landeskog to help their D.

Arizona might go after one as well, but they're a mess everywhere, so they might not want to give up a high pick.

4 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Yeah, but would cost our 1st most likely, and maybe more depending on how desperate. I don't like that idea, but it's not the worst thing that could happen for sure. Dumba is pretty much looking like Kronwall 2.0.

Personally, I think Dallas will give up the 3rd for one of them (or maybe for Trouba or Hamonic) and this board will go bats***.

Avs could make a bid as well, but I'd think it'd be more likely for them to use Duchene/Landeskog to help their D.

Arizona might go after one as well, but they're a mess everywhere, so they might not want to give up a high pick.

That's not a bad thing if you're talking about Kronwall from 2013-15. Considered him a decent #1D - not Doughty or Karlsson or Keith type but a slight tier below that. 

Edited by kickazz

26 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

At #9 you're doing good to get a guy as good as Brodin or Dumba. Making that swap eliminates the chance of a Suter, but it also eliminates a chance of getting a McIlrath.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Big D Dylan is gonna carry our young ones to the Calder Cup

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

That's not a bad thing if you're talking about Kronwall from 2013-15. Considered him a decent #1D - not Doughty or Karlsson or Keith type but a slight tier below that. 

Not a bad thing at all. I meant the comparison in a good way, in case it wasn't clear.

11 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

At #9 you're doing good to get a guy as good as Brodin or Dumba. Making that swap eliminates the chance of a Suter, but it also eliminates a chance of getting a McIlrath.

Yeah, there's a good case for making a move like that. For me it's just that with all the questions about the rest of the roster, he might not have any impact. And it could easily be 5+ years before we get back into contention. He could be pushing 30 and starting to decline by the time we really need him. Or even gone via UFA.

If I'm giving up top picks, I want a real star. I think we could get something close to Dumba/Brodin for less. Haydn Fleury would be my prime target. Probably won't be as good a scorer as Dumba, but maybe better defensively, and I'd expect to get him a lot cheaper.

6 hours ago, kliq said:

I think Big Dylan is going to get a chance on the Wings this year, not as a top 6, but as a call up at some point.

IF we re-sign him. I wouldn't be opposed to giving him another contract, but I wouldn't be surprised either way if we re-sign him or let him walk.

10 hours ago, Buppy said:

Nah, that'll only happen if Trouba gets trade for the 10th pick or lower. Can't really compete with the #3.