• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

(Rasmussen) "He uses long, graceful, smooth strides to fly down the ice (often having to wait up for his line mates). Several of the other players on the ice looked choppy in comparison, but Rasmussen was smooth and fluid. His skating style and stride were beautiful to watch. I wasn’t able to see a lot from this big kid yet, but what I did see was good. He also looks like he has a bomb of a shot!"

A graceful skater leaving teammates behind with a bomb of a shot...This description should be encouraging to those who were wary of this pick - and latched on to the Holmstrom comparison in the draft discussion. This guy does seem to have a lot more to offer than just size and skill as a net-front presence.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

A graceful skater leaving teammates behind with a bomb of a shot...This description should be encouraging to those who were wary of this pick - and latched on to the Holmstrom comparison in the draft discussion. This guy does seem to have a lot more to offer than just size and skill as a net-front presence.

Right. Because no one has actually watched him play and people just assumed.

Bomb of a shot is very encouraging. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Analysis on Rasmussen in the camp from one of the bloggers. There's some clips of Rasmussen doing the ice drills as well. Apparently he's still recovering from his fractured wrist and not 100%

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2017/7/8/15942224/meeting-michael-skating-not-a-worry-for-detroit-red-wings-rasmussen

Edited by kickazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

(Rasmussen) "He uses long, graceful, smooth strides to fly down the ice (often having to wait up for his line mates). Several of the other players on the ice looked choppy in comparison, but Rasmussen was smooth and fluid. His skating style and stride were beautiful to watch. I wasn’t able to see a lot from this big kid yet, but what I did see was good. He also looks like he has a bomb of a shot!"

A graceful skater leaving teammates behind with a bomb of a shot...This description should be encouraging to those who were wary of this pick - and latched on to the Holmstrom comparison in the draft discussion. This guy does seem to have a lot more to offer than just size and skill as a net-front presence.

You realize that article was written by a fangirl who didn't even know what to call the drill they were doing, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

You realize that article was written by a fangirl who didn't even know what to call the drill they were doing, right?

Yeah, I'd take anything Michelle says with a grain of salt. I've never really heard her say anything bad about any Red Wings prospect. She does tend to pump their tires quite a bit. Regardless, it is encouraging to hear that Rasmussen's skating may not be a weakness like a lot of draft analysts had suggested. I'm hopeful that Rasmussen can become a legit number one center, and Cholowski can become a legit number one defenseman. It's a bit of a long shot for both, but not out of reach. With proper development and all the tools to reach their ceilings, they could get there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I said before the draft (or just after) that Rasmussen was somewhere between Daze and Primeau. Either one in their prime would make us a much better team. Is he one of our top 9 F's right now? Find out in September....

Edited by Richdg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were several different analysis done at the camp that I read regarding Rasmussen.  All were pretty solid takes on his skating, puck handling, and shot.  I think/hope we might have gotten a solid player with leadership ability and strong character.  Time will tell.  

Also saw that Hronek, Saarijarvi, and Cholowski were impressing on Friday and Saturday. 

And I think we got a winner in Petruzzelli, hoping he's ready in 2 years to jump up and be our starter.  Again, time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

There were several different analysis done at the camp that I read regarding Rasmussen.  All were pretty solid takes on his skating, puck handling, and shot.  I think/hope we might have gotten a solid player with leadership ability and strong character.  Time will tell.  

Also saw that Hronek, Saarijarvi, and Cholowski were impressing on Friday and Saturday. 

And I think we got a winner in Petruzzelli, hoping he's ready in 2 years to jump up and be our starter.  Again, time will tell.

Petruzzelli will need more than 2 years to become our starter. But to be on the roster in 2 years is very possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Richdg said:

Petruzzelli will need more than 2 years to become our starter. But to be on the roster in 2 years is very possible.

Sorry, I meant on our roster.  Much depends on whether he goes pro or stays through college.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

You realize that article was written by a fangirl who didn't even know what to call the drill they were doing, right?

Well, they were just making a joke about how convoluted the drills with the Power Edge Pros were. Don't know why that's worth criticism.

But, yeah, they do always give glowing reviews. It's someone who does it for fun. The articles may accentuate the positives, but they don't tell you the sky is red. Anyway, there's videos included, if you don't trust their perspective. You can see others struggling in that specific drill.

Here's another arguing that skating is actually a strength for him.

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2017/7/8/15942224/meeting-michael-skating-not-a-worry-for-detroit-red-wings-rasmussen

Also, not just about Rasmussen, but a comment from Horcoff and Nelson on all the new big draft picks: "Horcoff and Nelson both said they liked seeing not only some of the size out on the ice, but how well that size could move, too."

http://mihockeynow.com/2017/07/red-wings-kick-off-educational-development-camp-in-traverse-city/

Anyway, you can't really tell until we see him in a full game situation. He sat out from the scrimmage since he's still recovering from his broken wrist last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Dennis Cholowski was 6'0, 170 pounds last year.

He is now 6'1, 185 pounds in just one years time. And he's not even a pro yet. 

Just saying.

He went to College. I guess even hockey players get the freshman 15.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol.

I think his height is done. Maybe if he's lucky another inch.

But I bet he's looking to hit 200 lbs. 

He looks a lot more physically fit in the go-pro/snapchat video Givani Smith did of their mini golf outting yesterday. 

Edited by kickazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, kickazz said:

Lol.

I think his height is done. Maybe if he's lucky another inch.

But I bet he's looking to hit 200 lbs. 

He looks a lot more physically fit in the go-pro/snapchat video Givani Smith did of their mini golf outting yesterday. 

 

I like everything about that sentence :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now