• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

hankzet40

Mrazek traded to Philly for Conditional 3rd and 4th Picks

Rate this topic

Essentially Mrazek re-found his game just a little too late. 

By the time he returned to some semblance of form, Howard had dropped off, and as such was going to be very hard to trade.

i prefer Mrazek, and wish we'd kept him, but in Detroit's situation if you can't trade Jimmy I guess you have to trade Mrazek because you can't have $9m invested in two goalies who have both got significant consistency issues.

DRW's big problem has been that they have never really been good at the same time. Both seem to need to feel safe as number 1 to perform, and neither is to date consistent enough to justify it. So it was always going to be a case of trading which you could. 

I think that wrong choice was made, but equally I can see why it was the choice taken, particularly with Holland's current MO of trying to simultaneously stock up on picks AND sneak into the playoffs..

Mrszek and Tatar were both great draft picks, who in a different era would have been bigger successes for us. But both have already returned more than it took to get them, even if Philly somehow miss the playoffs, so I guess we csnt be too angry.

Obviously the ideal is for Mrazek to take Philly to the ECFabf either get re-signed or have a meltdown in that series (to Tampa ideally!) and somehow be coaxed to come back as a UFA if we shift Jimmy in the summer. Which is incredibly unlikely!

14 hours ago, Jacksoni said:

Let's turn the argument around. We can't trade both. We should trade one, for two reasons (at the least):

* Their total salary sum is excessive with no basis in regards to our current situation.

* Given our progress curve on how likely we are to make the finals, one should be traded. In short, we need a prospect up. Or a bad backup.

Mrazek was the easiest to trade. He is younger, has shown flashes of brilliance and was on the incline.

Do I like it? Slightly no. Does it matter, judging from our team, in a snapshot of the present? Not a bit.

Opinion: trade both, I'd say. But I do understand if that seems harsh.

You just explained why he should have been kept. 

On 2/27/2018 at 8:39 PM, kickazz said:

"Loyalty to the veterans and not the kids."

f*** the kids. What the hell have they done to earn anything? Build your track record first, then we'll talk about giving you loyalty.

Godam millennials acting like they're owed something. 

New things are fun and exciting.

8 hours ago, joesuffP said:

Rough game for Mrazek against the Hurricanes. He’s got a tough schedule coming up to try and get those 5 wins

Just needs two more in potentially up to 18 games. I don’t know the health status of their other goalies but I like his chances. 

15 hours ago, joesuffP said:

Rough game for Mrazek against the Hurricanes. He’s got a tough schedule coming up to try and get those 5 wins

Spoke to some Flyers fans, saying that game was awful from their side overall. 

2 hours ago, Juklitz said:

Spoke to some Flyers fans, saying that game was awful from their side overall. 

Yeah I seen they were out shot by a wide margin and as soon as I flicked on the game Mrazek got scored on so I think it’s best I don’t watch

5 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

...Would be cool if Phily got to the CF.

As weak as the Metro is this year, that's not too unlikely.

But even if all we end up with is one third, it's arguably as good as or better than what Yzerman got for Bishop. Something for those complaining to think about.

Edited by Buppy

34 minutes ago, Buppy said:

As weak as the Metro is this year, that's not too unlikely.

But even if all we end up with is one third, it's arguably as good as or better than what Yzerman got for Bishop. Something for those complaining to think about.

I don't think anyone is too upset with the return on Mrazek. Those that are upset with the trade are because they feel he shouldn't have been traded at all. A team trying to rebuild should have kept the much younger, higher potential goaltender. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Yzerman traded the 30 year old Bishop because he wanted to go with the much younger Vasilevskiy. Smart move that payed off.

I think both Mrazek and Howard are worth more than a 3rd round pick, but I would have been okay with selling low on Howard if it meant sticking with the youth movement. Oh Well, Howard is our guy going forward, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him re-up again after this contract...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't think anyone is too upset with the return on Mrazek. Those that are upset with the trade are because they feel he shouldn't have been traded at all. A team trying to rebuild should have kept the much younger, higher potential goaltender. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Yzerman traded the 30 year old Bishop because he wanted to go with the much younger Vasilevskiy. Smart move that payed off.

I think both Mrazek and Howard are worth more than a 3rd round pick, but I would have been okay with selling low on Howard if it meant sticking with the youth movement. Oh Well, Howard is our guy going forward, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him re-up again after this contract...

Well, there were at least a couple people pretty vocal about trading Mrazek for "peanuts". 

Mrazek was 26, and had played over 160 games. Not exactly a prospect. Most likely he's nothing more than what we've seen already, and looking at the more recent half of his play, it would seem far more reasonable to suspect that he'd be below average rather than anything we'd miss. But yeah, opinion.

Yzerman traded Bishop because he couldn't afford to keep both, and Vasilevskiy was playing better at the time. Looks good for now, probably not so much if Vas returns to the more pedestrian numbers he had prior years. But that's kind of beside the point.

Bishop was a two time Vezina finalist, widely regarded as one of the best goalies in the league, having a sub-standard year, and a pending UFA.

Mrazek was just a guy who had a pretty good overall 1st full year, a train wreck of a 2nd, slightly below average this year, and due a hefty QO making him fairly likely to be just a rental.

We really did not sell low.

If for you it's just all about that we should have kept Mrazek regardless, fine. I even said earlier that I wouldn't have been opposed to keeping him. My comment was intended for people complaining about the return. 

3 hours ago, joesuffP said:

Trade Mrazek or be stuck with both Jimmy and Mraz or let Mrazek walk for nothing. No brainer 

This.

One could say "walk for nothing? we should've kept him", but he was making 4M, which he did not back up with his play since signing that deal. So chances for re-signing him where almost non-existent, and what else than trading could you do in that situation? And the return is very good, given the circumstances.

Getting lit up, 6 goals on 21 shots against Tampa right now. We can go back and forth like this to the point that this is the new Howard = Average thread. Mrazek's inconsistency is going to hurt the Flyers in the playoffs and our pick value when it comes down to it. 

Philly so far, good game, okay game, shutout, and now 10 goals against in his last two games. This is why i'm glad we got something for him. 

32 minutes ago, joesuffP said:

If Philly’s backup plays well tomorrow I wouldn’t be surprised if Mrazek gets benched going forward

I highly doubt they go with Alex Lyon as their starter unless Mrazek has a few bad games.

7 hours ago, MabusIncarnate said:

Getting lit up, 6 goals on 21 shots against Tampa right now. We can go back and forth like this to the point that this is the new Howard = Average thread. Mrazek's inconsistency is going to hurt the Flyers in the playoffs and our pick value when it comes down to it. 

Philly so far, good game, okay game, shutout, and now 10 goals against in his last two games. This is why i'm glad we got something for him. 

1 hour ago, joesuffP said:

If Philly’s backup plays well tomorrow I wouldn’t be surprised if Mrazek gets benched going forward

5 hours ago, kickazz said:

I think that was the most goals Flyers allowed in a game this season 

#petrmrazek

No it's not. Flyers aren't the best defensive team. They've also let in 6 against ANA and NSH earlier in the season as well (7-6 in this game, but last 1 is just SO pt.). And also 5 to NYI, OTT, SJS, PIT (twice), WSH(twice). VAN, NYR, NJD and TB in their previous meeting (obviously with a different goalie). They're kind of the high powered offence with young D still learning. It's why I don't think they're going far in the playoffs.

I feel like this is a bit of us having Mrazek under the microscope. I mean, It was a 6 to 6 shoutout game so Vasilevisky did just as badly. And he also has 10 goals in the past 2 games. And he's probably among the best goalies in the league right now? (Rinne probably) Are Tampa going to bench him for the rest of the season? Some off games or high scoring games just happen. I watched the 2nd half of this one and he wasn't really bad, but his rebound control remains one of his big shortcomings.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

27 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

No it's not. 

According to the scoreboard it's the most goals allowed against them this year. You know I'm correct on this.

28 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

I feel like this is a bit of us having Mrazek under the microscope. I mean, It was a 6 to 6 shoutout game so Vasilevisky did just as badly. And he also has 10 goals in the past 2 games. And he's probably among the best goalies in the league right now? (Rinne probably) Are Tampa going to bench him for the rest of the season? Some off games or high scoring games just happen. I watched the 2nd half of this one and he wasn't really bad, but his rebound control remains one of his big shortcomings.

16 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Dang, even the best goalies let in 7 or 9 goals once in awhile... :lol:

...Except Mrazek isn't any of the best goalies in the league... At all.... The point we were making was Mrazek is inconsistent. As usual. Great goalies do have bad games but Mrazek has far too many bad ones on his plate. Making him average or below average. 

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

According to the scoreboard it's the most goals allowed against them this year. You know I'm correct on this.

But you know that the goal added to the shootout winner isn't the same as a goal against. The difference between this game and those other 2 games is that they tied it up and got through OT. Should that really be thought of as a worse game than when they simply got blown out in regulation? That seemed to be your point.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk