• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

6/22 GDT - 2018 Entry Draft

Rate this topic

17 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

So what Dmen are left for us later this morning?

Wilde Bode and Samuelsson Mattias both could of been 1st mid-late round picks. We have great chance at one at least. Decent chance at both in my opinion. I like Wilde slightly more from what I've been reading.

Edited by xault

2 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Mantha scored 50 goals in juniors though and Zadina didn't (both from QMJHL)

Mantha was raised on NA rinks, that 44 goal season was Zadina’s first on the smaller rink and I think he’s got even more skill than Mantha.

18 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Nazy-ism. 

Sure

I'm watching Zadina highlights (first time watching him). This kids release and accuracy is pretty ridiculously good. Definitely a shooter, easy. Has decent dangles, and I like how confident he is aggressively moving the puck towards the net. My only knock is I see a lot of goals on the one-timer. 

Of course I only watched offensive highlights. No clue what he's like in the other 2 zones.

In his exit interview though I definitely got the impression he felt disappointed he wasn't drafted by Montreal.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

9 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Sure

I'm watching Zadina highlights (first time watching him). This kids release and accuracy is pretty ridiculously good. Definitely a shooter, easy. Has decent dangles, and I like how confident he is aggressively moving the puck towards the net. My only knock is I see a lot of goals on the one-timer. 

Of course I only watched offensive highlights. No clue what he's like in the other 2 zones.

In his exit interview though I definitely got the impression he felt disappointed he wasn't drafted by Montreal.

Your impressioN was wrong. He wanted to be higher on the draft and got passed up; I.E he wAnted to be selected at the level he thought he was worth (top 3/4). Since he wasn't he is aggravated and now Zadina is going to play lights out against those two teams each tIme probably. 

He didn't just mention Montreal. 

Edited by kickazz

2 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Your impression was wrong. He wanted to be higher on the draft and got passed which aggravated him and now he's going to play lights out against those two teams each time probably. 

I know you're playing but,

"You talked a lot about Montreal, did you expect them to pick you? How did you feel when they passed on you?"

"Ummmm ahhhhh uhhhhh It's, it's, it's, hard to say, cause, uh, ya know, uh, because everyone was probably expecting, uh, I'm gonna be here in Montreal."

That's as an accurate dictation as I can do.

I have no doubt he probably wants to score many goals on Bergevin's team now, but I got the strong impression he was excited to be a Hab before this.

I think the biggest challenge for Zadina is gonna be, can he get the same space in the NHL for his one-timer game? He's gonna be against much better trained Dmen who won't let him slide into those scoring zones unfettered. However, even if he can't, I wanna point out that this kids release and accuracy looks good enough that he's gonna get a lot of goals in coverage too.

Great pick, IMO he's a rich man's Cammalleri or a poor mans Kucherov, probably somewhere in between.

Joe Veleno. Same thing (first time watching). Looks like David Krecji. Probably could end up a solid 2nd line center one day.

Zadina - Larkin - Mantha
Rasmussen - Veleno - Svechnikov

I'm prettty confident in the future of our top six now. Let's get some Dmen now.

Zadina definitely looks like a poor man's Kucherov. I hope he exceeds expectations though. But yes, for now I agree. 

15 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Zadina - Larkin - Mantha
Rasmussen - Veleno - Svechnikov

I'm prettty confident in the future of our top six now. Let's get some Dmen now.

I don't see Rasmussen and Veleno on the same line. They are both pure centers. One of them will be the third line center. (which could be a good thing to have a balanced top 9 like that).

I'm penciling Svech as a 3rd line Winger for now. Unless he has a bounce back year this upcoming year. 

Hopefully we suck another year and get another badass draft in 2019. Either that or somehow Zadina is the miraculous difference maker for our "goals for" which helps us into the playoffs and we make a run in 2019. I just don't want us to be a bubble team though. 

Edited by kickazz

Been looking at a ton of pre-draft mock drafts this morning. Almost none had Zadina slipping past 4, with the vast majority having him going at 3 to Montreal (or to a team that traded up). Don't know how or why he fell to us at 6, but, wow!

Almost all had Veleno going somewhere between 15-19, with one having him going as high as 11, calling him "the best center in the draft". So it seems like a windfall for him to fall into our laps at 30. 

Bode Wilde, our potential 1st pick of the 2nd round (depending on what Buffalo does), was also consistently in that 15-19 range in most of these mock drafts, with one having him picked as high as 13. I was actually hoping to trade up for him in the mid-20 range, but, well, there he may be for us to take at 33? If he is, seems like a no-brainer pick. 

Feels like a 1st round coup (well, more luck, but Holland still had to not screw it up, so good for him) for Detroit, could be some steals in round 2 as well. 

14 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

2 forwards that all other GMs didn't want.  That's what scares me.

There was just so much to choose from. Some teams drafted for need, even in the top 10.

We had 6 great players to choose from  at #6 and, we need(ed) everything, so we chose, in their minds, BPA. 2 of Noel, Wilde, Samuelsson this morning and it'll be a great draft, on paper, no matter who we find 3-7.

Forgive me here, I'm usually not up to speed when it comes to prospects, and I know very little about both Zadina and Veleno. 

For those that know more about these guys, how far would you say they are from stepping into lineup?

Edited by Jasper84

8 minutes ago, Jasper84 said:

Forgive me here, I'm usually not up to speed when it comes to prospects, and I know very little about both Zadina and Veleno. 

For those that know more about these guys, how far would you say they are from stepping into lineup?

Zadina as soon as next year. Veleno will be a bit yet

9 hours ago, Dabura said:

I hope @krsmith17 is drinking responsibly. :lol:

Drink responsibly? What does that mean? :lol:

Late to the party, but I was partying hard after both of our first round picks. What a first round for the Wings (and Islanders). 

I've been saying for weeks that we shouldn't trade up, because as unlikely as it may be (have been), Zadina could slip to the Wings... and he did. Some people were even suggesting we trade Mantha to move up. Thank f*** that was never a thing.

Veleno is a player I was saying we should trade up into the top 15-20 for (if he was available). I still can't believe he slipped all the way to 30. Amazing. Something I didn't see mentioned and is underrated about this pick, is that he was granted exceptional status when drafted to the Q (CHL). That list consists of 5 players (John Tavares, Aaron Ekblad, Connor McDavid, Sean Day and Joe Veleno). His game has fallen off a little since then, but the elite skill is there. He'll never again be in the same conversation as the first three guys, but he could develop into a very good player for us.

We just got an elite sniper, and potential 2nd line center. The only thing that could have made this draft any more of a success is if we somehow traded up to 10 and taken Bouchard. Oh well... There are still some nice defensemen available in the 2nd round. I'm really hoping we take one of Wilde or McIsaac (might as well stay in the Q and go back to Halifax...) at 33. And as crazy as it might be, I'd probably go back to forward with the 36th pick, if one of McLeod, Thomas or Noel are still on the board.

Who would have thought we'd all be so happy with two forwards in the first round, and possibly one or two more in the second, the way forwards are falling to us. Best. Player. Available.

I still can't believe our luck so far in this draft. Let's keep it going today!

love the zadina pick , not crazy about veleno 

hopefully we get wilde or samuelsson now and although we need d seeing berggren up there still and maybe marchenko with high upside im very tempted to take them ... gotta figure hakan anderssen will wanna pick a swede soon 

also got tychonick,denim,bahl,harris and regula who might be available for us in the next few rounds at d to take .... gotta make these next 5 picks count

I think it will go Serron Noel, BODE WILDE, Jared McIsaac, Ryan McLeod, MATTIAS SAMUELSSON.  This draft has gone completely different than what I had wanted but I we get these two guys today I couldn't be happier.  I'm confident we will ind a couple of players in the third round.  ( Curtis Douglas please )

really think we'll get wilde ... sabres picking first and just got dahlin and have ristolainen im sure theyll wanna pick some player to help with eichel , hopefully stay away from berggren and take noel 

florida and habs would then pick before wings again and i expect the habs to take a center like mcleod

so wings should have a chance at berggren/marchenko/lauko upfront or mcisaac/samuelsson/tychonick at d with our second pick

would anyone consider getitng the 38th and a later second from the habs ? or 41 and 43 from islanders for one of our seconds ???

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I think the biggest challenge for Zadina is gonna be, can he get the same space in the NHL for his one-timer game? He's gonna be against much better trained Dmen who won't let him slide into those scoring zones unfettered. However, even if he can't, I wanna point out that this kids release and accuracy looks good enough that he's gonna get a lot of goals in coverage too.

I'm not at all concerned. Kid is an unequivocally "elite, elite" goal-scorer. A goal-scorer's goal-scorer. What makes him that good isn't just the shot, it's his ability to put himself in positions to use the shot. And it's not just a wonderful knack for shaking loose from coverage and finding open space (as all natural born snipers have), it's his ability to take the opposite approach: hounding the puck, mucking around in the corners and in the slot. He's a dangerous, determined forechecker, not unlike Brendan Gallagher. All of that, plus his surprisingly mature two-way game (he models his game after Kucherov and Hossa), makes him truly dynamic. When he's low in the other team's zone, he inspires that sense of dread in the other team('s fans) that we as Wings fans have grown to associate with Kucherov. He can singlehandedly dictate the course of play in the o-zone, whether he has the puck or not -- because you have to respect that he can, at any time, decide he's gonna try to disappear-and-re-appear a la Brett Hull...or get right in the middle of the action and throw his weight around (at 6'0-195ish, he's a tank) and get his nose dirty. He's also a great playmaker.

In terms of goal-scorer prospects, Zadina's about as good as it gets. Top-three talent in any draft, IMO.