• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

SwedeLundin77

Andreas Athanasiou Officially Signed 2 yrs. $3M AAV

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

That's only a 22-man roster (with Franzen on LTIR), which isn't ideal, but manageable, at least to start the season if we're against the cap. But with Frk being waived, who is your other healthy scratch along with Witkowski (who I assume is moved back to D in your scenario)?... None of the guys you'd want to scratch (Glendening, Helm, Abdelkader) will be scratched. In that scenario I think the healthy scratch would come down to Athanasiou or Bertuzzi, which would be terrible. Either a trade (or injury) needs to happen, or there's no room for Zadina...

The inevitable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, e_prime said:

The inevitable

Happens every training camp...

I just hope Zetterberg has one last year in him... I also hope Zadina gets a full year on Hanks wing... I also also hope Z senior helps Z junior win the Calder Trophy that he got robbed of 16 years ago, while Z junior helps Z senior hit the 1000 point milestone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, krsmith17 said:

Happens every training camp...

I just hope Zetterberg has one last year in him... I also hope Zadina gets a full year on Hanks wing... I also also hope Z senior helps Z junior win the Calder Trophy that he got robbed of 16 years ago, while Z junior helps Z senior hit the 1000 point milestone.

Not that I wish injury upon any of our players, but a training camp injury to the right one certainly would help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

When has he ever done that to be compared to a peak Franzen in his 2008 to 2010 playoff form?  

Who compared him to that Franzen?  That was a freak of nature run that he went on, one that Franzen himself couldn't duplicate.  What I said was Franzen had that certain skill level that allowed him every now and then to just take over a game, AA has done this too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, 13dangledangle said:

Who compared him to that Franzen?  That was a freak of nature run that he went on, one that Franzen himself couldn't duplicate.  What I said was Franzen had that certain skill level that allowed him every now and then to just take over a game, AA has done this too

Take over games?? Franzen took over entire playoff series, one after the other, for multiple consecutive seaons.

Last year AA had only 7 multi-point games total. Only one of which was a game with more than 2 points (3), and only two of which with more than 1 goal (2 for each).

AA is exciting to watch, but he does not by any means take over games. At this point in time he isn't even good enough to hold non-prime Franzen's jock strap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not saying AA is Franzen, but ease up, Franzen took over ONE series in ONE playoff year, Colorado 2008. He had 9 goals in 4 games that series. But he only had 4 more goals in the other 3 series. Then in 2009, he had 12 goals in 23 games. The other playoffs he was totally invisible. So no, he never took over entire playoff series, one after another for multiple consecutive seasons.

He played ONE four game series where he took over. Much like his entire career. 10 goals in 4 games, disappear for 25 games after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Not saying AA is Franzen, but ease up, Franzen took over ONE series in ONE playoff year, Colorado 2008. He had 9 goals in 4 games that series. But he only had 4 more goals in the other 3 series. Then in 2009, he had 12 goals in 23 games. The other playoffs he was totally invisible. So no, he never took over entire playoff series, one after another for multiple consecutive seasons.

He played ONE four game series where he took over. Much like his entire career. 10 goals in 4 games, disappear for 25 games after.

2007-2008 playoffs: 4 multi-point games, 5 games without a point, for a total of 18 points in 16 games, 13 of which were goals.
He also finished with the most game-winning goals of the playoffs.
Absolutely dominant playoff run, even for a superstar caliber player.

2008-2009 playoffs: 6 multi-point games, 7 games without a point, for a total of 23 points in 23 games, 12 of which were goals.
He also finished tied for the most game-winning goals in the playoffs.
Absolutely dominant playoff run, even for a superstar caliber player.

2009-2010 playoffs: 2 multi-point games, 0 games without a point, for a total of 18 points in 12 games, 6 of which were goals.
Absolutely dominant playoff run, even for a superstar caliber player.

2008-2010 totals: 12 multi-point games, 12 games without a point, for a total of 59 points in 51 games, 31 of which were goals

I'll let the numbers speak for themselves. They're better than Datsyuk's during the same time frame.

Before you begin your hateful tirade about Franzen, I'd like to swing back to the original point...

AA has never taken over a road trip, he's never taken over a home series's, he doesn't score multi-point games on a consistent basis, hell he hardly scores at all. Not playing defense to get a breakaway is not "taking over a game". Franzen and AA are hardly comparable at all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya, again, only dominated 1 four game series.

First two full years of Franzen...36 points. 22 goals.

First two full years of AA...62 points. 34 goals. Give AA linemates like prime Z and Dats, we will see if he can score 30 goals...which Franzen has only done once btw.

Anyway, nobody said he was Franzen, but he can take over a game with his explosiveness.

Btw, when you're wining 5-0 and barely hold on to win 5-4, that 5th goal is hardly a game winning goal.

Edited by LeftWinger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Take over games?? Franzen took over entire playoff series, one after the other, for multiple consecutive seaons.

Last year AA had only 7 multi-point games total. Only one of which was a game with more than 2 points (3), and only two of which with more than 1 goal (2 for each).

AA is exciting to watch, but he does not by any means take over games. At this point in time he isn't even good enough to hold non-prime Franzen's jock strap

               2007, 2008 & 2009 Franzens playoff performance was amazing, he scored 31 goals in 51 games  He was one of the best playoff performers of any team in any recent years...However in his career he had 187 goals in 602 games, so riddle me why you guys are so focused of his 3 good playoff appearances?  AA has one playoff under his belt and it was 1 goal in 5 games played and I hope he gets to play in more soooooon.

                AA has most certainly taken over at certain parts of games, his speed and skill lead to many tie ups as well as games winners.  He could be quiet all game then score the tying goal at the end of the period and the game winner 6 seconds into overtime.  

                I not once compared anything to franzens playoff performances because-as his stats point out were pretty fluky to how he performed overall.  My point was comparing skillsets-Franzens was great hands, great shot and big size as AA doesn't have great size but makes up for it with his great speed, and also has great hands and a great shot.  This was my only comparison and I believe it  is more important during our transition then the likes of Helm, Abby or Glendening.   That was my point.

 

Edited by 13dangledangle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'll let the numbers speak for themselves. They're better than Datsyuk's during the same time frame.

AA has never taken over a road trip, he's never taken over a home series's, he doesn't score multi-point games on a consistent basis, hell he hardly scores at all. Not playing defense to get a breakaway is not "taking over a game". Franzen and AA are hardly comparable at all.

 

So Datsyuk isn't as good as Franzen?      

 

Until AA gets a chance at the playoffs lets keep it real.  In skill level they are 100% comparable, both skilled players one difference being size which the other makes up in speed.  AA and Franzen are waaaaayyyyyy more comparable to Dats and Mule.   That's a can a worms I don't even want to have trolled into

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I would take a healthy Franzen over a healthy AA 7 days a week and twice on Tuesday. AA stands for Apolo Anton (Ohno). Just because he's fast doesn't make him a good hockey player.

I'm not down on AA or anything and absolutely like his ceiling, but yes give me a healthy Franzen. I miss that guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see how Athanasiou and Franzen are remotely similar in their style of game. Athanasiou is one of the fastest skaters in the league, has great hands, and a decent shot. Franzen was an average skater, decent hands for a big man, great net-front guy, and a lethal shot. Not very similar at all. In saying that, I don't think it's really fair to compare them at all. Franzen was streaky (most goal scorers are) but when he was on, he was one of, if not the most dominant players in the entire league. Athanasiou can break a game open with his lethal speed, but he hasn't yet been able to dominate a single game, let alone a stretch of games.

I believe AA does have the potential to get there. He has all the skill in the world, it's just a matter of putting it all together, and putting in the work to get there. People seem to forget that he's just 23 years old (24 to start this season). Franzen didn't play his first NHL game until he was 26! Let's see where Athanasiou is in a couple years once he matures a little as a player, and (hopefully) develops more of a two-way game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im good with the term. maybe first time since datsyuk zetterberg franzen contract

guy can skate and score...dare i say one of our best goal scorer on the team thus far

Edited by brett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Let's see where Athanasiou is in a couple years once he matures a little as a player, and (hopefully) develops more of a two-way game.

I don't really follow too many other teams, so you'll have to keep me updated after he's traded.  :ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to see AA win more board battles and get better at holding the puck under pressure. Way too easily separated from the puck.

I'd also like to see him take a cue from Larkin and really work on his playmaking. Less "I'ma cheat high and you hit me with a stretch pass," more forechecking and cycling and give-and-going. Do something other than trying to get a breakaway or trying to deke around a defender in a one-on-one situation (never works for him).

I do think there's something to the argument that playing him on the wing encourages laziness and bad habits in his game. I'd be down with giving him a long look at center. It'd have to be on the fourth line, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I want to see AA win more board battles and get better at holding the puck under pressure. Way too easily separated from the puck.

I'd also like to see him take a cue from Larkin and really work on his playmaking. Less "I'ma cheat high and you hit me with a stretch pass," more forechecking and cycling and give-and-going. Do something other than trying to get a breakaway or trying to deke around a defender in a one-on-one situation (never works for him).

I do think there's something to the argument that playing him on the wing encourages laziness and bad habits in his game. I'd be down with giving him a long look at center. It'd have to be on the fourth line, though.

Which would be fine if we went with 4 somewhat balanced scoring lines...

Abdelkader - Larkin - Mantha

Bertuzzi - Zetterberg - Zadina

Rasmussen - Nielsen - Vanek

Svechnikov - Athanasiou - Nyquist

There's no way Glendening and Helm aren't in the lineup every night, unless they're injured though. I just don't want to see Athanasiou with Helm and Glendening all season, which is likely what we'd see if he were centering the 4th line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

Which would be fine if we went with 4 somewhat balanced scoring lines...

Abdelkader - Larkin - Mantha

Bertuzzi - Zetterberg - Zadina

Rasmussen - Nielsen - Vanek

Svechnikov - Athanasiou - Nyquist

There's no way Glendening and Helm aren't in the lineup every night, unless they're injured though. I just don't want to see Athanasiou with Helm and Glendening all season, which is likely what we'd see if he were centering the 4th line.

Helm and Abby will never be healthy-scratched, but I'm starting to wonder if Glendening isn't as safe as we assume he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, e_prime said:

Not that I wish injury upon any of our players, but a training camp injury to the right one certainly would help.

I am imagining you with about 5 voodoo dolls poking pins into ankles and knees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Which would be fine if we went with 4 somewhat balanced scoring lines...

Abdelkader - Larkin - Mantha

Bertuzzi - Zetterberg - Zadina

Rasmussen - Nielsen - Vanek

Svechnikov - Athanasiou - Nyquist

There's no way Glendening and Helm aren't in the lineup every night, unless they're injured though. I just don't want to see Athanasiou with Helm and Glendening all season, which is likely what we'd see if he were centering the 4th line.

Kessel-Larkin-Bertuzzi

Vanek-Athanasiou-Mantha

Veleno-Helm-Zadina

Glendening-Rasmussen-Svetchnikov

 

Zetterberg retires.

Nielsen, Abdelkader, and Nyquist are traded.

Edited by Jonas Mahonas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I am imagining you with about 5 voodoo dolls poking pins into ankles and knees.

There are only three at this point and yes, keeping the pins below the neck... for now.

 

You can just call me Big Bad Voodoo Daddy from now on.

Edited by e_prime

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, e_prime said:

There are only three at this point and yes, keeping the pins below the neck... for now.

 

You can just call me Big Bad Voodoo Daddy from now on.

OK, biggie large!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now