• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jersey Wing

Henrik Zetterberg has Retired

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Close to what? What we get for Tatar? I agree. A first round pick? I disagree.

Yeah, to what we got for Tatar.  A first rounder would be nice... but I'm somewhat skeptical.

Guess it depends on his season - which will be a question mark w/ Z gone.

2 hours ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

Looks pretty good for a baby beard.

Z is staying in Detroit until the full transplant surgery is complete and Larkin has the Zetterbeard. The transplant will be fully complete just in time for  Larkin's Conn Symthe winning penalty kill ...too much to ask for?

Well fine I will just take Larkin becoming a leader in the mode of Stevie, Nick and Hank...

On 9/27/2018 at 4:12 AM, krsmith17 said:

Weird... I could have sworn I wanted to see him play one more season...

Sure, his game hasn't been quite at the level it once was, but he was still a very effective player the past few seasons. There's no real reason to believe if he had played, his game would have dropped off much more from this past season. I think he would have still put up around 50 points. That along with his leadership on and off the ice would have been invaluable to the young players.

He was also only 40 points away from the 1000 point plateau. It would have been pretty special to see him hit that mark.

To say that you didn't want to see him play one more season is very confusing to me...

Just wondering if you still feel the same after this season's start and a preview of what's to come.  Do you think Zett would want to play on a team that is heading for a 20-62 season?

46 minutes ago, RedWingsRox said:

Just wondering if you still feel the same after this season's start and a preview of what's to come.  Do you think Zett would want to play...?

Yes.

47 minutes ago, RedWingsRox said:

...on a team that is heading for a 20-62 season?

No.

Not sure what you mean ... yes or no.  I am 99.9% sure that Zett would not want to play on this team and in a season like this.  And I don't want to see him play or further injure his back ... what for?  This?  Another few million?  Go and enjoy life with your hot wife.  

8 hours ago, kylee said:

Why would you want to subject him to this dumpster fire? He already had to put up with it the last few years of his career

Maybe so he can achieve the career milestone of 1000 points and cement his legacy?

Spittin' Chiclets: Sean Avery

Listening to Sean Avery talk about his career on the SC podcast, and he had a good story about Zetterberg. It's about 39 min if you wanna listen and he talks a lot about his early days with the Wings.

Basically Avery took Zetterberg to MSU during Z's first training camp as a kid. The last thing Avery remembers of the night is Z at a fraternity underneath an ice luge with his shirt off doing vodka luge shots lol next training camp rolls around and Z tells Sean that Holland sat him down and told him that he's not to spend anymore time with Sean off the ice lol theyre not freinds anymore.

Says he loved Babs as a coach, but that Babs was a ******* lunatic and played mad mind games with everyone.

Avery loves Yzerman too. Says Stevie was just better than everyone at literally everything on and off the ice. Tells a story where 11/10 smoke show chick approaches Stevie at a restaurant theyre at... she whispers in his ear... And Stevie just responds "I appreciate the offer, but you're not worth $42 million"... For reference Stevie was worth $84 million at the time and married.

Sean confirms the infamous Sakic story.

Says Datsyuk was incredibly strong and had some of the hardest body checks you've ever felt

He also talks about his first training camp in Traverse City where he came in as a free agent and needed to earn a contract so he just went after everybody and turned the whole place upside down. Was jumping into the opposing teams benches going after guys etc etc all the while closing the bar every single night with Chelly lol and he got that contract

Super good listen. The SC podcast is really good in general if you've never listened.

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

What did I miss?

You call it a comeback, I call it charity. 

Avery is on the bench and starts chirpin the Avs hard. He starts going after Sakic and Hull responds by grabbing Avery and saying "you dont talk to Mr. Sakic like that".

Hull got mad class

Zetterberg Adjusting to Retirement

For 10 years, he also endured an occasionally fractious relationship with Mike Babcock.

“Maybe people think that we hated each other, sometimes,” Zetterberg said. “I won’t say we did that. But, there were times when we weren’t that friendly, maybe.

“We always had an honest relationship.”

Asked how difficult it was to play for Babcock, Zetterberg said, “He is difficult. And, especially if you had him for 10 years, you know?”

“Any coach for 10 years would be hard,” Zetterberg said. “But then you add Mike into it. He puts a lot of pressure on guys. He wants you involved. He wants you to buy in.”

Babcock pushed players’ buttons.

“He found a way to push me into an 'I’m going to show you’ kind of thing. Not everyone, I think, can handle it,” Zetterberg said.

“He found a way to push the team in a way that we were always ready. But it took a lot from us, too, to always be ready.

“He put a lot into it, too. The preparation and how to approach the game was something that you see more now, in teams.

“My relationship with him has always been good. We butted heads a lot of times.

“I think he knew he could tell me whatever he wanted. And, I knew I could tell him whatever I wanted.

“And, somehow, it worked.”

His said his playing days came to an end when a degenerating disc eventually caused a nerve problem and a malfunction of a muscle that controls movement of the ankle.

The back spasms he began experiencing in 2006, a few seasons into his NHL career, resulted from his muscles accommodating the weakening disc.

“That’s when we noticed the nerve that had shut down the small muscle down there, and that it couldn’t control the ankle,” Zetterberg said.

He said he played two 2014 playoff games against the Bruins with the ankle taped to prevent almost any movement. The Wings lost the series, 4-1.