• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2019-20 Prospects Thread

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Buppy said:

Well, duh. No one is ever a reach from the perspective of the person making the pick.

Right. It's a flawed POV in that way.

5 minutes ago, Buppy said:

You can respect Yzerman's opinion and still acknowledge that it was significantly different than the norm.

You're right. It was significantly different than the norm. I should be clear I do agree there.

The way I'm twisting this is: the norm doesn't hold much value to me. Yzerman could've taken Soderblom at #6 and I would've been PUMPED.

12 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Also, in the final rankings from the popular lists, Seider's average ranking was 17th. 10 out of 14 (not counting NHLCS due to lack of combined list) had him between 9 and 18.

Nice. Sorry I just assumed he was still in the 20-30 range leading right into the draft.

16 minutes ago, Buppy said:

I know you're having fun thinking you were one of the few believers in Seider, but the fact is you were right in line with the prevailing opinion. Yzerman didn't validate your opinion, he said you were wrong.

Lol very happy to be wrong on this occasion my friend. Yzerman is a smarter hockey brain than me.

The only other fans of Seider prior to the draft among Wings fans I found was like a handful of guys on the HFboards. So yeah basically I'm a genius and you're all bozos who think Zegras and Cozens are actually good HA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Right. It's a flawed POV in that way.

Nothing flawed about it at all. Literally all it means is that he went against expectations. Whatever negative connotations you want to attach to that is your issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Interracial marriage is a sin

I reckon I can take tiny nips here

But - he's got a belly tatt.

13 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Remember the show "Chips"?

How could one forget the allure of Ponch, and John?

Image result for ponch and john gifs

13 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

No

Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://theathletic.com/1186105/2019/09/12/pronman-top-123-nhl-prospects-entering-the-2019-20-season/

For those of you who like Pronman and think he knows what he's talking about he has just ranked the top 123 prospects (outside the NHL)

For non-subscribers, here's the D-boys:

23. Zadina (down from 6th)

30. Seider (previously unranked)

66. Veleno (down from 43)

80. Berggren (down from 66)

95. Kaski (previously unranked)

110. Mastrosimone (previously unranked)

122. McIsaac (previously unranked)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

https://theathletic.com/1186105/2019/09/12/pronman-top-123-nhl-prospects-entering-the-2019-20-season/

For those of you who like Pronman and think he knows what he's talking about he has just ranked the top 123 prospects (outside the NHL)

For non-subscribers, here's the D-boys:

23. Zadina (down from 6th)

30. Seider (previously unranked)

66. Veleno (down from 43)

80. Berggren (down from 66)

95. Kaski (previously unranked)

110. Mastrosimone (previously unranked)

122. McIsaac (previously unranked)

Pronman has no idea what he's talking about. The Red Wings should have at least 3 prospects in the top 5... #elite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Someone send this to Veleno.

No s*** eh?

Not to rip the guy because I respect his work and he's generally in the ball park with his assessments but IMO, Pronman is waaaaaay to focused on offensive skill. Specifically, point production. 

For examle, Cole Caufield is not the 6th best prospect in any universe but his. Which, in fairness, he's acknowledged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Seider and Veleno should both be higher than Zadina.

I'm assuming Zadina gets the edge largely because he played in the AHL last season. Veleno tore apart the QMJHL, but that isn't necessarily as impressive as doing "just ok" in the AHL. Same with Seider in the DEL, I guess. Then again, Berggren missed all of last season and he's ahead of Kaski, who tore up the Liiga last season. But Kaski's 24. I dunno.

I will say this about Zadina: I was disappointed with his Prospect Tournament showing. I really didn't want to come away from it saying Post-Lidstrom Era Red Wings Fan Things like "Kid is so close. No, this is not the same as Jurco and Frk and Sheahan and Kindl and Smith and Pulkkinen and Mrazek and Almqvist. This is totally different. No, I am not copeposting."

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Can't believe how high Kaski is.

Kinda surprises me and kinda doesn't. Like I said above, he's coming off a huge season in the Liiga, which is a respectable pro league. Word on the street was every NHL team was making calls on him.

I dunno if he's ever gonna find any level of success in the NHL, but if his shooting is as good as advertised, he might be able to carve out a role for himself on an underpowered NHL PP unit as early as this season. Put him in the Frk role and have Green feed him. Better yet, run Kaski and Hronek on the same unit. Hronek has a low-key wicked shot, so you've got two constant shooting threats on one unit (and that's saying nothing of Mantha and AA). The forward on the right wall could set up a Hronek shot or he could set up a Kaski shot or he could set up a shot-fake-set-up from Hronek/Kaski to Kaski/Hronek. Or he could do any number of other things. Point is, options.

Edited by Dabura

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

No s*** eh?

Not to rip the guy because I respect his work and he's generally in the ball park with his assessments but IMO, Pronman is waaaaaay to focused on offensive skill. Specifically, point production. 

For examle, Cole Caufield is not the 6th best prospect in any universe but his. Which, in fairness, he's acknowledged.

I mean, I won't fault him for having his own personal preferences and biases and weighting system. Just means he's human. I can even understand why someone would believe Veleno's nothing more than an unremarkable middle-six centerman.

But, to Veleno's credit, he's done nothing but impress since he was drafted and I do think dropping him 20 spots is kind of a bruh move.

Edited by Dabura

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.facebook.com/DETROITREDWINGS/videos/471147763484347/

@kipwinger although I think that you don´t give a damn what Art Regner is saying, I really recommend to watch that video from minute 22:40, just as a little teaser. Friday and Saturday there will be training camp coverage at noon and the red and white game at 12:30 on sunday. Afterwards I would like to get an assessment of yours, regarding #53.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dabura said:

I mean, I won't fault him for having his own personal preferences and biases and weighting system. Just means he's human. I can even understand why someone would believe Veleno's nothing more than an unremarkable middle-six centerman.

But, to Veleno's credit, he's done nothing but impress since he was drafted and I do think dropping him 20 spots is kind of a bruh move.

Yea I'm not sure what more he was supposed to do. As far as I'm concerned, he improved on the one thing I was worried about with him, which was his shot. 

I like reading Pronman's stuff, but I think lists like this where we're comparing all types of prospects from various years/leagues is basically throwing darts at a board, with a lot of recency bias sprinkled in. 

3 hours ago, Dabura said:

I'm assuming Zadina gets the edge largely because he played in the AHL last season. Veleno tore apart the QMJHL, but that isn't necessarily as impressive as doing "just ok" in the AHL. Same with Seider in the DEL, I guess. Then again, Berggren missed all of last season and he's ahead of Kaski, who tore up the Liiga last season. But Kaski's 24. I dunno.

I will say this about Zadina: I was disappointed with his Prospect Tournament showing. I really didn't want to come away from it saying Post-Lidstrom Era Red Wings Fan Things like "Kid is so close. No, this is not the same as Jurco and Frk and Sheahan and Kindl and Smith and Pulkkinen and Mrazek and Almqvist. This is totally different. No, I am not copeposting."

Kinda surprises me and kinda doesn't. Like I said above, he's coming off a huge season in the Liiga, which is a respectable pro league. Word on the street was every NHL team was making calls on him.

I dunno if he's ever gonna find any level of success in the NHL, but if his shooting is as good as advertised, he might be able to carve out a role for himself on an underpowered NHL PP unit as early as this season. Put him in the Frk role and have Green feed him. Better yet, run Kaski and Hronek on the same unit. Hronek has a low-key wicked shot, so you've got two constant shooting threats on one unit (and that's saying nothing of Mantha and AA). The forward on the right wall could set up a Hronek shot or he could set up a Kaski shot or he could set up a shot-fake-set-up from Hronek/Kaski to Kaski/Hronek. Or he could do any number of other things. Point is, options.

Same. I'm still excited about his upside, but I think It's going to take a bit longer than I'd hoped. The fact that he seemed to generate so many good looks every game lessened the blow for me though, I don't know about the actual stats but he looks like a quality scoring chance magnet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Soderblom played his first game with Frolunda of the SuperElit yesterday, and scored 4 goals. The 3rd goal was really nice. Crazy reach and silky mitts for such a big kid.

 

really nice, he looked good during PT and seems to not miss a beat at home. thumbs up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now