• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2021 Off-Season (Too Soon?)

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Leddy's reaction when hearing about the trade ...

Infant Crying Child PNG, Clipart, Baby, Cheek, Child, Chin, Cry Free PNG  Download

But I agree with others - why trade for a guy with 1 year left on his contract when we could've signed Martinez ?

2 hours ago, arag said:

On the positive side. Leddy can be flipped at trade deadline for another second pick for supposedly better 2022 draft. Martinez is still a possibility after we loose LD at expansion.

If he protects Leddy and Stecher, he can flip both for picks by the TDL. That also means he leaves both Cholowski and Lindstrom exposed.

And I would expect that Martinez would still be a possibility if one of those are lost to Seattle.

Martinez-Seider

Leddy-Hronek

DeKeyser-Stecher

Cholowski/Lindstrom

Probably the best D corp this team has had since Lidstrom retired.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

5 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I admit, this one confuses me. Why such a high draft pick for a 30 year old that won't be here at most one season? I thought we were the ones getting assets to acquire salaries? Plus 50% retained salary for 2 more seasons? I don't see the win in this trade. 

7 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I admit, this one confuses me. Why such a high draft pick for a 30 year old that won't be here at most one season? I thought we were the ones getting assets to acquire salaries? Plus 50% retained salary for 2 more seasons? I don't see the win in this trade. 

I was thinking the same initially...As others pointed out - we really improved our LD - moved a 3rd/4th line forward to give some of the kids more playing time -  Leddy can mentor Seider - and Leddy could be moved at the deadline to recoup the 2nd round pick.

His cap hit and retaining 50% of Panik's cap hit is no issue for the Wings...Both teams appear for the better at this point.

And once the dust settles from the expansion draft and 2021 draft weekend - Yzerman can still potentially make moves either via trade, or UFA to bolster the club.

My only concern might be with some of our RFAs who are in need of a contract, but I'm, sure that'll get sorted out as well.

Edited by F.Michael

1 hour ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Left handed, check
Offensive skill to pair with Seider, check
Not an emaciated old vet, check

Great move. This is exactly what our PP needed, and exactly what we needed for Seider. I'm really surprised Lou felt forced to give up Leddy and couldn't find a work around to keep him. Yzerman exploited a tough situation for another team again.

To all those moping about Martinez, you're jumping the gun.

1. You have no clue if Martinez is even a realistic option for us. The extent of rumors connecting him to Detroit is one Tigers reporter tweeting "hey he's from Michigan, that could be an option for the Wings". For all we know Martinez still has cup fever and no intention of spending his last good years on a rebuilder.
  2. Yzerman still likely has every intention of pursuing Martinez and/or someone else. We subtracted Nemeth and Merrill at the TDL this year. DK and Cholo both don't look like top4 Dmen anymore. We need two LHD. Leddy is just the first domino to fall.

With Leddy there is a very exciting chance that he and Seider will make the best D pair we have seen in 10 seasons. I'm not throwing out the idea that Leddy might want to stay for 4+ seaons once he realizes he has a young Chris Pronger/Chelios as his new D partner. If he doesn't, no big deal, he's prime to be flipped at the deadline with 50% retained for another 1st rounder. Meaning that Mantha trade tree turns into Mantha for Vrana and two 1st round picks.

This is A+ quality work by Yzerman. I can't imagine why anyone would be disappointed.

I'm not disappointed, I guess I just don't know enough about Leddy. If he's a legit top 4 D in the NHL, then I'm excited about it. 

I read somewhere that Panik was going to possibly bought out if not selected by Seattle. So 2 years retained salary is better than 4 years buyout. If this is true, Super Yzerman does it again. 

I like moves and signings, etc... so this is nice to see!

1 hour ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Left handed, check
Offensive skill to pair with Seider, check
Not an emaciated old vet, check

Great move. This is exactly what our PP needed, and exactly what we needed for Seider. I'm really surprised Lou felt forced to give up Leddy and couldn't find a work around to keep him. Yzerman exploited a tough situation for another team again.

To all those moping about Martinez, you're jumping the gun.

1. You have no clue if Martinez is even a realistic option for us. The extent of rumors connecting him to Detroit is one Tigers reporter tweeting "hey he's from Michigan, that could be an option for the Wings". For all we know Martinez still has cup fever and no intention of spending his last good years on a rebuilder.
  2. Yzerman still likely has every intention of pursuing Martinez and/or someone else. We subtracted Nemeth and Merrill at the TDL this year. DK and Cholo both don't look like top4 Dmen anymore. We need two LHD. Leddy is just the first domino to fall.

With Leddy there is a very exciting chance that he and Seider will make the best D pair we have seen in 10 seasons. I'm not throwing out the idea that Leddy might want to stay for 4+ seaons once he realizes he has a young Chris Pronger/Chelios as his new D partner. If he doesn't, no big deal, he's prime to be flipped at the deadline with 50% retained for another 1st rounder. Meaning that Mantha trade tree turns into Mantha for Vrana and two 1st round picks.

This is A+ quality work by Yzerman. I can't imagine why anyone would be disappointed.

I know that it might not look like a win for Detroit when you factor in that we had to give up a 2nd. I also agree that Stevie is not done yet so people need to trust him.  It is ironic though that Detroit got Leddy because I am also an Islander fan, not as much as Detroit but they are my 2nd team and I know their players.  During the series against Tampa, I was noticed Leddy made a good play in his zone and led the rush out and I kept thinking "man, this guy can skate and make things happen, I wish we had him on Detroit". Leddy may not score much but he will move the puck fast and the less time we spend in our own zone, the better.  I remember a presser with SY where he said that part of rebuilding means accumulating as many picks as possible and not only to draft with but to make deals with and this is a case where dealing a pick was a benefit because seriously our defense needs help.  I have a gut feeling though that we are going to take on another player to give a team cap relief and we are going to get that 2nd pick back.  Bottom line is that Leddy is a legit defenseman, far from elite but who would you rather have as a top line left D, Leddy or DK?

15 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, this is where I'm at as well. I don't hate the addition of Leddy, but there were cheaper options going to be available in free agency. If we were adding assets, great, otherwise should have waited until after the expansion draft / free agency. This also puts another wrinkle in the protection list for D. Two of Stecher, Cholowski and Lindstrom will be exposed. Also retaining salary on Panik.

I can't help but think Yzerman may have lost this trade. The only way to get back in the win column is if Leddy is flipped for a 2nd (or 1st) round pick at the deadline...

Why dont you like this trade if you wanted to send Svech and the same pick to the Avs for Ryan Graves?

Leddy is a lot better than Graves. 

1 hour ago, ely s said:

Leddy is the isles icetime leader the last 6 seasons, over 120 playoff games, one cup. Looks like a 2022 first rounder to me, prime target at the deadline I would think

spot on.  odds are he's not re-signing with us in UFA.  He will command 7-8 million, so Detroits going to be a pit stop more than likely.  Ive always liked Leddy tho, so wont be unhappy if he does re-sign with us.

A lot of hype for not much done. I know we got a D, but am I the only one underwhelmed? Where are all the moves from teams that "had" to be done? So many names, none moved. I'm even underwhelmed by our day. Guess I was hoping for more usage of our available cap.

14 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

A lot of hype for not much done. I know we got a D, but am I the only one underwhelmed? Where are all the moves from teams that "had" to be done? So many names, none moved. I'm even underwhelmed by our day. Guess I was hoping for more usage of our available cap.

there´s still the draft coming up, free agency. Plenty of time till training camp starts

Edited by ely s

8 minutes ago, ely s said:

there´s still the draft coming up, free agency. Plenty of time till training camp starts

I just meant all the "Team A needs to trade Player X to avoid losing him to Seattle for nothing, Detroit is in the mix..."

also, I fully expect the draft and UFA to be just as underwhelming in regards to all the "talk" that will be out there about Detroit ready to accept contracts.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

53 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I just meant all the "Team A needs to trade Player X to avoid losing him to Seattle for nothing, Detroit is in the mix..."

also, I fully expect the draft and UFA to be just as underwhelming in regards to all the "talk" that will be out there about Detroit ready to accept contracts.

tenor.gif?itemid=9172732

4 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

When you look at it this way...

I still can't get over the fact we added a sweetener to solve someone else's cap problem. 

We should have gotten 2nd not given one.  I was hoping for something along the lines of the Ladd trade... I don't know why we didn't take him and that haul. 

4 minutes ago, mackel said:

I still can't get over the fact we added a sweetener to solve someone else's cap problem. 

Leddy's not a "cap problem" player . He's a very good legit top 4 D-man on the slightly grey side of his prime that just happened to be a cap problem for Lou. This isn't a Mark Stall scenario.

Poor Yzerman. If he's not seriously fleecing GMs, fanbase depression ensues. 

10 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Leddy is a really good player for $5.5. Lou was gonna lose him to Seattle for nothing.

Didn't Tampa pay a first to get Goodrow?

Yup and they won 2 cups... #worthit

17 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

Why dont you like this trade if you wanted to send Svech and the same pick to the Avs for Ryan Graves?

Leddy is a lot better than Graves. 

Yeah, Graves isn't great. Leddy is much better, but also older, and more expensiveI in terms of cap hit and cost to acquire (albeit not by much). I don't love the Leddy trade, but really, I probably wouldn't have been overly thrilled with that Graves trade either. The biggest reason being the affect both trades would / will have on the expansion draft. I wanted to protect both Stecher and Cholowski. I still would have if we traded for Graves, which would have made that trade really dumb. I still want to protect both over Leddy as well, but that won't happen, and I get it because of the asset(s) we should get at next year's trade deadline.

I think if either Stecher or Cholowski are exposed, either would be the Seattle pick. I guess at this point I'd like to see Hronek, Cholowski and Leddy protected, and hope they take Namestnikov over Stecher...

48 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Protecting a failing prospect and a 27 year old bottom pairing Dman, over a 30 yeard old top pairing Dman. Makes sense.

I literally said that I would protect Leddy over Stecher. But yes, I would consider leaving Leddy exposed if I thought Seattle would pass on him. Unlikely, but Stecher may be more attractive, being three years younger, and nearly $4M cheaper. Do you think Montreal leaving Price exposed "makes sense"?

It all depends how the rest of that team is constructed. Will they prefer the higher cap hit to get to the floor, or lower cap hit to stay under the cap? Will they have mostly left-handed defensemen and prefer the righty? Maybe they already have a ton of defensemen and take a forward from Detroit regardless who's available on D...

A lot of teams will leave some better players exposed for various reasons, be it age, contract, etc...

56 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

You were clearly disappointed we didn't get Graves... why back pedal now?

Oh yeah, clearly disappointed...

"Basically Svechnikov and 52nd overall... Would have been a nice addition to the blueline... Oh well..."

People should be allowed to change their mind, without idiots like yourself getting on them about it. But that's you...

Truth is, that was my initial reaction to the trade, thinking Graves was quite a bit younger. I thought he was more in the 23-24 range, not 26. Regardless, after thinking about it some more, I wouldn't have been too happy with the Graves trade. 

I'm not thrilled with the Leddy trade either, but it at least makes some sense.