• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Doc Holliday

Columbus GM Reveals Nash Demanded Trade

Rate this topic

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/scott-howson-tosses-rick-nash-under-c-bus-223153998.html#more-26433

On Monday afternoon, Columbus Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson called Rick Nash and told him he wouldn't be dealt before the NHL Trade Deadline passed. That he made an honest effort to move Nash and get the proper return for the star winger.

But the honesty wouldn't end there — no sir, it would not.

Howson also informed Nash that he would be revealing publicly for the first time that it was Nash, rather than team management, that sought a trade. That the Jackets' team captain requested a trade in "mid- or late January," and set the wheels in motion for his departure.

"It's the right thing to do. It's the truthful thing to do," said Howson of the revelation.

It was also the deliciously spiteful thing to do.

"With respect to Rick Nash, he approached us and asked us to consider trading him. We agreed to accommodate his request as long as we could get a deal that would provide us with cornerstone pieces to help us to compete for a Stanley Cup championship in the coming years. It did not happen by 3 o'clock today. This is too important to our franchise and our fans to do a deal that is not in our best interests."

Pretty crazy how things are turning out in Columbus right now.

No idea why I put Nashville in there. Can a mod change the thread title for me?

Edited by Doc Holliday

Gee, I wonder how Wisniewski feels now about signing in Columbus...drama, drama, drama

He deserves it, that arrogant prick. Hope he has fun with his "market value" money losing in Columbus for the next 5 years :thumbup:

Having to wait until the off-season should certainly open up the number of teams that might be interested in Nash. Wonder who will be willing to give up the farm to get him given what the free agent market will look like. I don't think Kenny will bite & instead lock in on Parise...I hope...

Can't blame Nash for wanting out of Columbus. I guess you can only stand losing consistently for so long, especially with his talent.

I’m wondering if any of the GMs who were having discussions on acquiring Nash will ever reveal what Columbus was asking.

For what it was worth: when the idea of Nash being dealt to the Leafs was talked about on Sportsnet (one of their radio/television "simulcasts") last week, Doug MacLean said that if Nash went to Toronto, he would immediately become the leader in the dressing room. I guess they're still looking for one.

At least we are sure that we can never finish worse than 4th in the division...that team is doomed for a long time without Nash. They didn't have much to draw talent in the first place, and with Nash packing his bags at the end of the season (likely) they are really going to have nothing to build a team around.

What an absolutely large mistake in revealing that he asked to be traded. What good could it possibly do? Nash, who seems to be a classy guy, is going to play like he always does, but now he probably gets boo'ed in his own barn. Talk about a guy that is going to be counting down the games til the end of this season and chapter in his career.

I look forward to the day Howson loses his job.

A day, maybe two days after Scott Arniel was let go, he was on the nhl xm channel. He was bummed he was out of a job. But he sounded almost relieved to be out from under the stress of that organization. He almost sounded baffled to the degree that, that organization was that poorly managed and ran.

Instead of getting rid of Hitch or Arniel, they should of gotten rid of Howson!

What an absolutely large mistake in revealing that he asked to be traded. What good could it possibly do? Nash, who seems to be a classy guy, is going to play like he always does, but now he probably gets boo'ed in his own barn. Talk about a guy that is going to be counting down the games til the end of this season and chapter in his career.

I look forward to the day Howson loses his job.

A day, maybe two days after Scott Arniel was let go, he was on the nhl xm channel. He was bummed he was out of a job. But he sounded almost relieved to be out from under the stress of that organization. He almost sounded baffled to the degree that, that organization was that poorly managed and ran.

Instead of getting rid of Hitch or Arniel, they should of gotten rid of Howson!

I agree but demanding trade then giving a short list of teams that you would accept a trade to and expecting the GM to take all the heat from the fans and media because they think it was his idea is a bit much to ask for.

I like Nash but come on. Do I blame him? No but CBJ need to get a boat load for him and he is handcuffing them. Bad situation

If ever you're feeling down about our Wings, turn thy head and look to southward, and instead be eternally grateful.

I'll add to the rivalry between Michigan and Ohio and say, "If ever you're feeling down about the state of Michigan with the current slow economy, turn thy head and look to southward, and instead be eternally grateful". :cool:

I agree but demanding trade then giving a short list of teams that you would accept a trade to and expecting the GM to take all the heat from the fans and media because they think it was his idea is a bit much to ask for.

I like Nash but come on. Do I blame him? No but CBJ need to get a boat load for him and he is handcuffing them. Bad situation

I have always believed if you agree and sign a contract, you need abide by the terms.

I do agree that demanding a trade during the season with a short list of teams is a little excessive, and quite frankly would seem a little out of character for him. I have to figure this is all a direct result of poor management.

Thats fine, in that case he could have revealed Nash's desire only IF he swung a deal, the fact that he couldn't and Nash will be a CBJ for the rest of the season betrays what tool Howson is.