• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Bertuzzi's continuing back problems

Rate this topic

The Detroit Free Press reported earlier tonight that Bertuzzi had been admitted to the hospital with extreme back pain.

Bertuzzi has missed Detroit’s last three games with his chronically-injured back and, following a 5-3 win over St. Louis last Thursday, “could barely walk” according to the Detroit Free Press.

Todd Bertuzzi, 38, has a history of back problems. In 2006 he had a herniated disk that required surgery, he was subsequently traded from Florida to Detroit in March 2007. He missed five games in January 2009, then with Calgary, because of back pain.

Holland said surgery “is a last resort. No one is rushing into surgery.” Surgery would mean Bertuzzi is done for the season.

Bertuzzi, 38, has a history of back problems, dating to a herniated disk in 2006 that required surgery, sidelining him as he was traded from Florida to Detroit in March 2007. He missed five games in January 2009, then with Calgary, because of back pain.1

Bertuzzi is in the first of a two-year, $4.15 million extension signed with Detroit in February. He has an average annual cap hit of $2.075 million. 2

read more at http://detroitsportsnation.com/blog/bertuzzi-hospitalized-with-back-pain/

Not good.

Sucks mostly because we have other injuries right now. We could have used another body back in the lineup.

But we know he wasn't part of the plan for the future, so it had to end soon anyway.

Surprisingly, he missed very few games for the Wings his first couple of seasons back in Detroit. Was kind of an ironman for a while.

Guest irishock

If this becomes a career altering injury, he should hang em up this offseason. Would open up a spot for a Tatar or Nyquist + more cap flex

If this becomes a career altering injury, he should hang em up this offseason. Would open up a spot for a Tatar or Nyquist + more cap flex

We're on the hook for his salary next year even if he does retire.

He has a 35+ deal.

By "hang them up" you mean "take the Ian Laperriere, spend two years on LTIR so we don't get screwed by the 35+ clause, retirement plan". Yes, I agree.

That said, I hope he gets better. Always better if you can retire on your own terms, and few enough get to do it. Plus, chronic back pain sucks.

Guest The Axe

We're on the hook for his salary next year even if he does retire.

He has a 35+ deal.

Holland. Again. Can someone tell me that they expected something different than our old guys getting injured all the time? So ridiculous.

Hopefully, a little bit of manipulation and some epidural steroid treatments can get him going again. Most important though, is rest. I'd rather have him sit for a month or two, and heal up, than have him rushed back, only to deal with lingering back problems. Of course, I say this knowing that back pain never goes away, you just learn to tolerate it better than others.

Get well soon, Bert. We need your big body and your shootout prowess.

Holland. Again. Can someone tell me that they expected something different than our old guys getting injured all the time? So ridiculous.

Zeterberg has back problems too. We should dump him. He's old and sucks. No one under 30 EVER gets hurt.

Guest The Axe

Hopefully, a little bit of manipulation and some epidural steroid treatments can get him going again. Most important though, is rest. I'd rather have him sit for a month or two, and heal up, than have him rushed back, only to deal with lingering back problems. Of course, I say this knowing that back pain never goes away, you just learn to tolerate it better than others.

Get well soon, Bert. We need your big body and your shootout prowess.

Zeterberg has back problems too. We should dump him. He's old and sucks. No one under 30 EVER gets hurt.

Zetterberg has the most points on the team and is showing no signs of wear or of not playing to his contract. Your analogy stinks, bud.

Zetterberg has the most points on the team and is showing no signs of wear or of not playing to his contract. Your analogy stinks, bud.

Two years ago, you would have been throwing bags of shat at Kenny, because Z was nursing a bad back all season long. My analogy smells of roses.

Seriously, the Free Press wrote the story two days ago and not a single other news source around the state ran with the story. I'm not saying that it didn't happen, I'm saying that it's probably less serious than they made it sound, which is probably why nobody else paid attention to it.

Plus, Bert is a mad mo fo, so he'll tough it out.

I have high hopes for Bert's return to the line up -- healthy and happy. (Well, not too happy, I still want him to play mean.)

Get well Bert!

but...

If worse comes to worse, and Bert is done. I mean, retirement done. We could have a conversation with the man and use one of our new CBA buyouts to get out of the rest of his contract, no? Or would that be too much of obvious cap circumvention?

Oh wow, this is bad news. Hopefully its a correctable problem. In any case, it seems like he won't be back soon. If he chooses to hang em up, thats fine...I'd choose walking over hockey any day. Best of luck to him.

And yeah, Wings have two buyouts...there is nothing in the CBA about using them in this situation, afaik.