• Please log in to reply
1081 replies to this topic

#721 turbowhistle86

turbowhistle86

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

Maybe the money had little to do with it and he just wanted a team that would give him top line minutes.

#722 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

I dunno, just seems weird that he'd leave for Jersey of all places for comparable $

Holland didn't want to go that high. Lets say he did sign him right now for 3 million, the Wings would be over the cap by 1 million. Plus three must sign RFA's need to get raises. And we would have 17 forwards signed counting Gustav and Andersson.

He should trade Sammy for a 7th round pick. It's Hollands fault Brunner isn't a Wing, the guy loved playing here.

Edited by TheOwl, 14 July 2013 - 10:03 PM.

#723 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

A Lannister always pays his debts.

Then I'll take your bet Joffrey...

#724 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

Holland didn't want to go that high. Lets say he did sign him right now for 3 million, the Wings would be over the cap by 1 million. Plus three must sign RFA's need to get raises. And we would have 17 forwards signed counting Gustav and Andersson.

He should trade Sammy for a 7th round pick. It's Hollands fault Brunner isn't a Wing, the guy loved playing here.

1. No one knows what Holland offered but it's believed to be in the 2.5 range
2. Sammy has a NTC
3. Of course Brunner said he loved playing here. You know who loves playing here? Datsyuk. He could have gotten extra money out of Jersey or 28 other teams next year too. Except he re-upped with the Wings for less than he would have got as a UFA in 2014. I don't buy all the "OMG I looooove Detroit" talk from Brunner.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#725 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,669 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:47 PM

It's entirely possible that Holland offered him the money Jersey is rumoured to be offering but Brunner thought he could get more and now, with the additional signings this summer, the original offer is no longer on the table.

I don't know if this is the case, but if it is, I am terribly disappointed in Brunner's agent.  I really wanted that boy back here.

Money on the board:  Current total: 0

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#726 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

Gosh I keep reading were over right now as is by about 1m. Pretty sure it doesn't include rfas or potential ltir guys.

#727 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

No, it's Brunner's fault that he's not a Wing. His demands for a lot of money and a top-six spot, which he had last season but played himself out of, are why he did not re-sign.

#728 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:33 PM

No, it's Brunner's fault that he's not a Wing. His demands for a lot of money and a top-six spot, which he had last season but played himself out of, are why he did not re-sign.

Quoted for truth.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#729 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

Brunner is gone. I wont miss him.

#730 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

He probably thought that he could get more and by now he knows better. Purely speculating, I think he went to NJ in part because he didn't want to go back to Holland and eat crow about how much he really is worth, being more or less guaranteed a bigger role and potentially more points, which means more money next contract, and possibly proximity to a bigger city.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#731 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:44 AM

I dunno, just seems weird that he'd leave for Jersey of all places for comparable $

How many forwards do the Wings have? I count 14 signed and 2 RFA guys.

You have no idea how high Holland wanted to go. If he really wanted to keep Brunner and Brunner really wanted to stay I don't think $500k would have been the deal breaker.

Samuelsson has a NTC so he has some control over where he plays and he still hasn't been cleared to play. Plus it's early in the offseason, no need to be rushing to make moves right now

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#732 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

For those of you acting as if Brunner to NJ is a done deal:

Just talked to Damien Brunner's agent, Neil Sheehy. Wouldn't say which teams he's talked to. Says "nothing imminent" as far as signing.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#733 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,251 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

I still believe Brunner will be back...of course I am just hoping that they decide to agree on a contract, but until he signs elsewhere, I am in the believe section of him returning to Detroit.

One way or another, Detroit will rid itself of Samuelsson.  Cleary will be gone and there will be a trade for a future consideration...

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 0.00 PPG

#734 RedWingCraig

RedWingCraig

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

He won't be back at the price he's asking but I'd rather pay him that for a few years than sign Cleary for 3

#735 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

I still believe Brunner will be back...of course I am just hoping that they decide to agree on a contract, but until he signs elsewhere, I am in the believe section of him returning to Detroit.

One way or another, Detroit will rid itself of Samuelsson.  Cleary will be gone and there will be a trade for a future consideration...

Your lips to The Hockey God's ears. I really would like him back...

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#736 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

Your lips to The Hockey God's ears. I really would like him back...

From everything I've read, it comes down to wanting a guaranteed spot in the top 6.  He's not going to get that in Detroit so I seriously doubt he'll be back.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#737 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

From everything I've read, it comes down to wanting a guaranteed spot in the top 6.  He's not going to get that in Detroit so I seriously doubt he'll be back.

The more I read about this, I truly believe this is the biggest issue with him.

That is why NJD look so intriguing to him, with Kovy leaving they have a large gap in their top 6.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#738 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

I totally agree. I'm hoping no one else gives it to him, and he realizes that EARNING that top spot should be the way it is done, and where best to do that then on the best team in the world? ;)

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#739 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

The more I read about this, I truly believe this is the biggest issue with him.
That is why NJD look so intriguing to him, with Kovy leaving they have a large gap in their top 6.

Nothing wrong with that, it shows he is a fierce competitor and wants to proof himself in the NHL. Helping New Jersey out is not an easy task, so they'll need a guy like him.

Good luck

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#740 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

He'll be back after his next contract.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."