• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Shaman

Was Legwand worth it?

Rate this topic

Guest DeGraa55

The playoff streak was more valuable than a taking a risk at the future. I personally think thats bad strategy but who am i..

My god who cares about a streak. It's cool don't get me wrong but what's better.

Braves winning the division like 20 straight years AND INE CHAMPIONSHIP or the Yankees who have like 27.

You don't play sports to JUST make the playoffs. It's all about the championships. Now if your Columbus and you make playoffs...ya you can be excited cause you haven't experienced it before.

I'm a wings steelers tigers and michigan fan. It's championship or bust every year. I watched michigan lose their streak. Ya it sucked...but who cares EVERYONE experiences a transition at some point. CHAMPIONSHIP OR BUST.

I think adding Legwand helped get us into the playoffs. So right now, I'll say yes.

Talk to me in a couple years for a more complete and confident answer...

One of the first things we actually agree upon. Jarnkrok had no real future here, too much depth at C already and he was getting impatient

My god who cares about a streak. It's cool don't get me wrong but what's better.

Braves winning the division like 20 straight years AND INE CHAMPIONSHIP or the Yankees who have like 27.

You don't play sports to JUST make the playoffs. It's all about the championships. Now if your Columbus and you make playoffs...ya you can be excited cause you haven't experienced it before.

I'm a wings steelers tigers and michigan fan. It's championship or bust every year. I watched michigan lose their streak. Ya it sucked...but who cares EVERYONE experiences a transition at some point. CHAMPIONSHIP OR BUST.

You act like trying to make the playoffs and trying to build a championship team are mutually exclusive goals. They're not. Nor, I think, was our intent this season to just make the playoffs. Getting into the playoffs means you have a chance to do something more. Maybe not a good chance, or even a realistic chance, but a chance nonetheless.

And it's not like we traded away Crosby either. Jarnkrok was a good prospect, may yet turn out to be a great player, but thus far there's nothing that looks particularly special about him. He's out of waiver exemptions after next year. Sheahan, Jurco, Pulkkinen, Mantha, and Athanasiou are all on a similar timetable, and all look to have similar or better potential. Add that to Tatar and Nyquist, plus all the vets, grinder types, and possible UFA additions... there wasn't room for everyone anyway. Still isn't really. Jarnkrok was not our future, just a possible piece of it.

Regardless how Jarnkrok turns out, or what happens with Legwand, the move made sense given our situation at the time. Giving up a good prospect for a temp isn't ideal, but neither was our situation. Maybe we overpaid, maybe we could have gotten the same results calling up Jarnkrok, maybe he'll turn out to be a star... but none of that really matters.

Hind site is 20/20 right? He helped us make the playoffs, granted he then disappeared, most likely because he's just another declining 30+ year old.

I think he was worth it, but Holland should have been able to get a better player for the price he paid, or gotten Legwand for less. But really I'm just done crying over a minor leaguer. If Jarnkrok becomes great-I'll tip my hat to him, but until then he's just another prospect and we all know they don't always work out.

Am I the only one who remembers when everyone said the reason we didn't have success was because Babs changed the lines too much? Now y'all think he doesn't change them enough.

Ugh.

Related to the Legwand trade, yea I still think it was worth it.

Yes, without him we may not have got into the playoffs. We were ravaged by injuries and desperately needed a C. We only just squeeked in as the 8th seed as it was.

That we would get ROFLstomped by the Bruins, and Legwand would end up as the 4th line RW could not have been forseen. The most important thing is to make it to the dance - you can't win the raffle if you won't buy a ticket.

Plus, there's the rumours of pressure from the Ilitch's to make the playoffs for $$$ reasons. Even a first round exit is worth about $4M.

I think it was worth it. If he re-signs and Weiss gets healthy then the roster looks a bit better. I think Holland should take a VERY hard look at using the 2nd compliance buyout on Franzen. No reason to buy-out Tootoo to save $1.9 mil for one season when you could save $3.9 mil for the next hundred years.

Even with the potential of Jarnkrok, I think it's still too early to tell on this deal. It's probably best to reserve judgement until Legwand plays a full season with the Wings (assuming he comes back).

So according to NHL.com Legwand only played more than 15 minutes twice in 5 games. The other 3 games his minutes were 11, 12, and 13 minutes.

Nope, not worth the trade. You gave up a good prospect, 2nd round pick, and a early round 1st round pick if we missed the playoffs.

Legwand will not be back... and we gave them Zetterberg 2.0 for a rental...

Kenny is saying one thing and doing opposite...

I am still trying to figure out why some people here think that he was Zetterberg 2.0 with just 12 games of NHL experience under his belt. Are people that dilluted to think that he is an elite NHL player at this stage in his career? There are many players who started off great in the first 20 games and then turned out to be average NHL players or not around the league after that.

I am still trying to figure out why some people here think that he was Zetterberg 2.0 with just 12 games of NHL experience under his belt. Are people that dilluted to think that he is an elite NHL player at this stage in his career? There are many players who started off great in the first 20 games and then turned out to be average NHL players or not around the league after that.

No one's saying he's Zetterberg. They're saying he could ultimately rise to that level. That's his projection, and I don't think it's very far off. The issue, of course, is that the Wings' prospect development is second to none, so I'm not sure he's going to reach his full potential in Nashville's system. Then everyone will say SEE. HE'S NOT ZETTERBERG. YOU FOOLS.

No one's saying he's Zetterberg. They're saying he could ultimately rise to that level. That's his projection, and I don't think it's very far off. The issue, of course, is that the Wings' prospect development is second to none, so I'm not sure he's going to reach his full potential in Nashville's system. Then everyone will say SEE. HE'S NOT ZETTERBERG. YOU FOOLS.

On the contrary, there are people here saying he is Zetterberg 2.0. I could quote about 8 posts easily in this thread from users who geniunely believe he is and are saying so. There is a big difference in the wording, which is key. You put it very accurately in that he has the potential. To say without a doubt that he is an elite player is really a desperate assumption at this stage.

As you so elequantly pointed out though, the farm systems are entirely different. That does have a factor in his development.

From my standpoint, there are players that do well in one organization and then do poorly. Look at Jonathan Cheechoo who won the goal scoring race back in the day. Now he is mired in the AHL probably for good. Its tough to tell who is going to pan out. He isn't Zetterberg 2.0. He may develop into that, but it won't be established for a couple years at least.

Edited by Nightfall

It's hard for me to remain objective on this one, because I was opposed to the trade from the very beginning. There is no way to know, with any certainty, whether we would have made the playoffs without him. However, based on Legwand and Ironhook's production after the trade, I think it is very likely that we would have made the playoffs either way.

I'm going to say it wasn't worth it. Everytime a new player has a slow start, we always hear how he's adjusting to the system. Irhonhook was already familiar with our system, because he played it, under Blashill. I don't think the outcome in the playoffs would have been any different. But, it's just bad strategy, at this stage of rebuilding, to trade players with potential for players on the decline. With the way we use centers, we could find a place for him. If he does go to Sweden, we will probably get sanctioned for negotiating in bad faith.

This does not mean it was the wrong move, at the time (even though I think it was). None of us know what information the front-office was privy to when the trade was made. That being said, I think kenny was just too scared to put another rookie in that position. Ever since LA won, Kenny's mantra has been "we just need to get in." He probably felt we had a legitimate chance to make a run, and he trusted a vet more than a young guy.

To those of you saying "get over it"; don't read the thread. If we should get over something just because it's done, that would eliminate the whole purpose of a forum. If you want to defend the trade, please do.

Negotiating in bad faith? Huh? How would you prove we knew about some secret desire jarnkrok had to go to Sweden and we prevented the Preds from hearing about it when it was discussed in the news at the time of the trade?