• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:58 AM

What happened to this kid during the last few weeks?  I realize you're not going to score a goal every game, but to completely fall apart offensively was shocking and disconcerting.

Is it because as someone mentioned, Datsyuk returned, and Nyquist somehow let up?  Maybe, but if anything, he should have had less attention on him after Datsyuk returned.  But the two events do seem to coincide.        

Was it the line combos changing?  I thought Nyquist had good chemistry with Legwand and Franzen, but Babcock decided to play each one on a different line (all of which didn't work).  I think that contributed heavily to all three players struggling in the playoffs (thanks Mike).    

Is it because we played a big, physical team like Boston?  Very likely, but that's not going to change.  We have to play in the same division as them now.  Also, his drop off started before the playoffs, so it wasn't just Boston.         

Or is it because he was hurt (the typical LGW playoff disappearing excuse)  Always tough to know who is or isn't hurt because of how much secrecy teams keep, but that's a possibility as well.   

It does remind me of Datsyuk disappearing in the playoffs in 2004 and 2006.  Albeit, Pavel was a better player at that time than Nyquist is now.      

Of course, I realize few very players played well for Detroit during the playoffs, so it's not just Nyquist.  All the young players struggled in the postseason. But still, with the kind of play he showed us after the Olympics, his drop off was the most surprising of all.    

I hope he can put this behind him and step up in the future.    

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#2 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

The Bruins' D gave him very little space and shut him down pretty well.  I think it had less to with him struggling effort-wise than it did having a lack of size and experience in the playoffs.  Not even the kid line was able to generate anything offensively.  It sucks to admit it, but Boston were just a superior team that was too big and firing on all cylinders. 

#3 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

Several things happened.

1. Less ice time.

2. Other teams adjusted to him.

3. he was shooting at a rate that nobody can maintain. Finished at 18.3%. Crosby and Ovie were around 13% just for comparison. He had to drop back to normal at some point.

4. Lines changed up again.

5. Keep in mind he isn't very big. Down the stretch play gets tougher and harder every game. I am sure he was a bit worn out. 

#4 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

What happened to this kid during the last few weeks?  I realize you're not going to score a goal every game, but to completely fall apart offensively was shocking and disconcerting.

Is it because as someone mentioned, Datsyuk returned, and Nyquist somehow let up?  Maybe, but if anything, he should have had less attention on him after Datsyuk returned.  But the two events do seem to coincide.        

Was it the line combos changing?  I thought Nyquist had good chemistry with Legwand and Franzen, but Babcock decided to play each one on a different line (all of which didn't work).  I think that contributed heavily to all three players struggling in the playoffs (thanks Mike).    

Is it because we played a big, physical team like Boston?  Very likely, but that's not going to change.  We have to play in the same division as them now.  Also, his drop off started before the playoffs, so it wasn't just Boston.         

Or is it because he was hurt (the typical LGW playoff disappearing excuse)  Always tough to know who is or isn't hurt because of how much secrecy teams keep, but that's a possibility as well.   

It does remind me of Datsyuk disappearing in the playoffs in 2004 and 2006.  Albeit, Pavel was a better player at that time than Nyquist is now.      

Of course, I realize few very players played well for Detroit during the playoffs, so it's not just Nyquist.  All the young players struggled in the postseason. But still, with the kind of play he showed us after the Olympics, his drop off was the most surprising of all.    

I hope he can put this behind him and step up in the future.    

He carried the team for 2 months is what happened. Not to mention he was given no space in the playoffs, and the line when he was scoring those goals was Franzen - Legwand - Nyquist which never played once together from the last 3 games of the year, and all into the playoffs. Babcock f***ed up.

#5 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

The Bruins shut him down. The Bruins shut down all the kids tbh. 

#6 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

Several things happened.

1. Less ice time.

3. he was shooting at a rate that nobody can maintain. Finished at 18.3%. Crosby and Ovie were around 13% just for comparison. He had to drop back to normal at some point.

5. Keep in mind he isn't very big. Down the stretch play gets tougher and harder every game. I am sure he was a bit worn out. 

This is why I believe the Wings will eventually trade either Gus or Tatar. The team has to get bigger up front. To do that, the Wings will probably have to trade someone of value. Mantha should help, yes, but from what I've heard, he's not a domininant physical force. He's a big kid that can score. There's a difference. The Wings need an Abdelkader who doesn't have hands of stone.

#7 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:23 PM

Several things happened.

1. Less ice time.

Pretty much this.  I have a feeling the expectations are going to be way too high for him next year, and even if he scores 25 goals and 50 points, people will be disappointed.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#8 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:24 PM

I'd like to see Nyquist try to put on a little upper body strength. I think it could go a long way in battles in the corners. I also want to see him playing with Z because I think if he gets to first hand see how Z plays it'll go a long way in his development.

#9 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

He will. Zetrerberg was the same way of I remember right. He sacrificed speed for bulk and Nyquist will have to do the same. Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#10 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:34 PM

The Bruins' D gave him very little space and shut him down pretty well.  I think it had less to with him struggling effort-wise than it did having a lack of size and experience in the playoffs.  Not even the kid line was able to generate anything offensively.  It sucks to admit it, but Boston were just a superior team that was too big and firing on all cylinders. 

Pretty much this.  So much of his game is based on his speed, and he had no space to use it.  The Bruins are disciplined defensively, and at no point in the series where they chasing a game.

Its also I think that his style of play doesn't translate very well to the PP where you're stationary a lot.

I will say this though - if he'd been paired with a healthy Zetterberg things would have been very different for him.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#11 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

Man, that shooting %. Shooting what he was shooting meant he was inevitably going to crash equally hard and it wasn't going to be pretty.

Granted, that's not really a reason or an explanation.

Rich's list pretty much covers it, I think. IMHO, the biggest thing he's very small and non-physical and he doesn't have nearly enough postseason experience to know how to make that work for him in a tight-checking series, let alone against Team Zdeno. The Bruins - arguably the best defensive team in the league - knew they had to contain him, and they did it. And you also have to consider other factors like our ugly blue line and the time we spent hemmed in our end (I'm gonna beat this horse all summer long). Take away 4-5 offensive zone faceoffs and you're taking away good ice time from the kid line.

I think he's going to be a legitimate top-six scoring winger in this league. I think he is a legitimate top-six scoring winger in this league. This was a learning experience. He'll be better for it.

Edited by Dabura, 27 April 2014 - 02:39 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#12 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

As good as he is, the luck he was getting to score that many goals was a sight in itself. 

Everything just caught up to him, hes not as good as that goal scoring streak says he is

Having said that, I still think hes going to be a 50-60 point player next season.

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing.  The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#13 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

he got on a hot streak and people decided he was the second coming.

he's simply not as good as everyone was saying.

#14 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:15 PM

he got on a hot streak and people decided he was the second coming.

he's simply not as good as everyone was saying.

Your cynicism is always such a ray of desperation around here

#15 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

What happened to him? A guy like Chara and a certain far superior team named Bruins

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#16 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

Pretty much this.  I have a feeling the expectations are going to be way too high for him next year, and even if he scores 25 goals and 50 points, people will be disappointed.

Id' be pretty happy if he does that.

U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

This was so funny I had to set it as my sig.

#17 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

Our lineup was too small for Bruins. Nedds to get bigger and tougher.
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#18 LAWings

LAWings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

I think he lineup change was bad, broke up chemistry, but the kids and mule had their chances.  They led in shots (click on pic, it enlarges):

Attached File  http-redwings.nhl.com-club-statsprint.htm?season=20132014&gameType=3&srt=s.jpg   119.92KB   6 downloads

Edited by LAWings, 27 April 2014 - 04:58 PM.

#19 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:48 PM

The whole team was cold. Bruins just shut us down.

#20 wings7

wings7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

If everyone is saying that Nyquist met up with a far superior team, like the Bruins, then is it time to finally say this quick, small Euros need to go? Because Boston isn't going anywhere. We need to be more like them to win a cup. Aside from 02, the Wings have always had grittiness in their lineup. And even in 02, they had some...