• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GMRwings1983

What Happened to Nyquist?

Rate this topic

What happened to this kid during the last few weeks? I realize you're not going to score a goal every game, but to completely fall apart offensively was shocking and disconcerting.

Is it because as someone mentioned, Datsyuk returned, and Nyquist somehow let up? Maybe, but if anything, he should have had less attention on him after Datsyuk returned. But the two events do seem to coincide.

Was it the line combos changing? I thought Nyquist had good chemistry with Legwand and Franzen, but Babcock decided to play each one on a different line (all of which didn't work). I think that contributed heavily to all three players struggling in the playoffs (thanks Mike).

Is it because we played a big, physical team like Boston? Very likely, but that's not going to change. We have to play in the same division as them now. Also, his drop off started before the playoffs, so it wasn't just Boston.

Or is it because he was hurt (the typical LGW playoff disappearing excuse) Always tough to know who is or isn't hurt because of how much secrecy teams keep, but that's a possibility as well.

It does remind me of Datsyuk disappearing in the playoffs in 2004 and 2006. Albeit, Pavel was a better player at that time than Nyquist is now.

Of course, I realize few very players played well for Detroit during the playoffs, so it's not just Nyquist. All the young players struggled in the postseason. But still, with the kind of play he showed us after the Olympics, his drop off was the most surprising of all.

I hope he can put this behind him and step up in the future.

The Bruins' D gave him very little space and shut him down pretty well. I think it had less to with him struggling effort-wise than it did having a lack of size and experience in the playoffs. Not even the kid line was able to generate anything offensively. It sucks to admit it, but Boston were just a superior team that was too big and firing on all cylinders.

Several things happened.

1. Less ice time.

2. Other teams adjusted to him.

3. he was shooting at a rate that nobody can maintain. Finished at 18.3%. Crosby and Ovie were around 13% just for comparison. He had to drop back to normal at some point.

4. Lines changed up again.

5. Keep in mind he isn't very big. Down the stretch play gets tougher and harder every game. I am sure he was a bit worn out.

What happened to this kid during the last few weeks? I realize you're not going to score a goal every game, but to completely fall apart offensively was shocking and disconcerting.

Is it because as someone mentioned, Datsyuk returned, and Nyquist somehow let up? Maybe, but if anything, he should have had less attention on him after Datsyuk returned. But the two events do seem to coincide.

Was it the line combos changing? I thought Nyquist had good chemistry with Legwand and Franzen, but Babcock decided to play each one on a different line (all of which didn't work). I think that contributed heavily to all three players struggling in the playoffs (thanks Mike).

Is it because we played a big, physical team like Boston? Very likely, but that's not going to change. We have to play in the same division as them now. Also, his drop off started before the playoffs, so it wasn't just Boston.

Or is it because he was hurt (the typical LGW playoff disappearing excuse) Always tough to know who is or isn't hurt because of how much secrecy teams keep, but that's a possibility as well.

It does remind me of Datsyuk disappearing in the playoffs in 2004 and 2006. Albeit, Pavel was a better player at that time than Nyquist is now.

Of course, I realize few very players played well for Detroit during the playoffs, so it's not just Nyquist. All the young players struggled in the postseason. But still, with the kind of play he showed us after the Olympics, his drop off was the most surprising of all.

I hope he can put this behind him and step up in the future.

He carried the team for 2 months is what happened. Not to mention he was given no space in the playoffs, and the line when he was scoring those goals was Franzen - Legwand - Nyquist which never played once together from the last 3 games of the year, and all into the playoffs. Babcock f***ed up.

Several things happened.

1. Less ice time.

3. he was shooting at a rate that nobody can maintain. Finished at 18.3%. Crosby and Ovie were around 13% just for comparison. He had to drop back to normal at some point.

5. Keep in mind he isn't very big. Down the stretch play gets tougher and harder every game. I am sure he was a bit worn out.

This is why I believe the Wings will eventually trade either Gus or Tatar. The team has to get bigger up front. To do that, the Wings will probably have to trade someone of value. Mantha should help, yes, but from what I've heard, he's not a domininant physical force. He's a big kid that can score. There's a difference. The Wings need an Abdelkader who doesn't have hands of stone.

Several things happened.

1. Less ice time.

Pretty much this. I have a feeling the expectations are going to be way too high for him next year, and even if he scores 25 goals and 50 points, people will be disappointed.

I'd like to see Nyquist try to put on a little upper body strength. I think it could go a long way in battles in the corners. I also want to see him playing with Z because I think if he gets to first hand see how Z plays it'll go a long way in his development.

The Bruins' D gave him very little space and shut him down pretty well. I think it had less to with him struggling effort-wise than it did having a lack of size and experience in the playoffs. Not even the kid line was able to generate anything offensively. It sucks to admit it, but Boston were just a superior team that was too big and firing on all cylinders.

Pretty much this. So much of his game is based on his speed, and he had no space to use it. The Bruins are disciplined defensively, and at no point in the series where they chasing a game.

Its also I think that his style of play doesn't translate very well to the PP where you're stationary a lot.

I will say this though - if he'd been paired with a healthy Zetterberg things would have been very different for him.

Man, that shooting %. Shooting what he was shooting meant he was inevitably going to crash equally hard and it wasn't going to be pretty.

Granted, that's not really a reason or an explanation.

Rich's list pretty much covers it, I think. IMHO, the biggest thing he's very small and non-physical and he doesn't have nearly enough postseason experience to know how to make that work for him in a tight-checking series, let alone against Team Zdeno. The Bruins - arguably the best defensive team in the league - knew they had to contain him, and they did it. And you also have to consider other factors like our ugly blue line and the time we spent hemmed in our end (I'm gonna beat this horse all summer long). Take away 4-5 offensive zone faceoffs and you're taking away good ice time from the kid line.

I think he's going to be a legitimate top-six scoring winger in this league. I think he is a legitimate top-six scoring winger in this league. This was a learning experience. He'll be better for it.

Edited by Dabura

As good as he is, the luck he was getting to score that many goals was a sight in itself.

Everything just caught up to him, hes not as good as that goal scoring streak says he is

Having said that, I still think hes going to be a 50-60 point player next season.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

he got on a hot streak and people decided he was the second coming.

he's simply not as good as everyone was saying.

Pretty much this. I have a feeling the expectations are going to be way too high for him next year, and even if he scores 25 goals and 50 points, people will be disappointed.

Id' be pretty happy if he does that.

If everyone is saying that Nyquist met up with a far superior team, like the Bruins, then is it time to finally say this quick, small Euros need to go? Because Boston isn't going anywhere. We need to be more like them to win a cup. Aside from 02, the Wings have always had grittiness in their lineup. And even in 02, they had some...

Guest DeGraa55

If everyone is saying that Nyquist met up with a far superior team, like the Bruins, then is it time to finally say this quick, small Euros need to go? Because Boston isn't going anywhere. We need to be more like them to win a cup. Aside from 02, the Wings have always had grittiness in their lineup. And even in 02, they had some...

Not all small euros no. No one is saying the small euros can't work. You just need bakance. Add some size and we be fine.

1) Excellent depth on Bruins D combined with disciplined forwards.

2) Size, strength & physicality of opponents beyond what he had previously experienced

3) Only total Elite players can maintain a hot streak like that.

4) Babcock totally ******* the team chemistry with some really bad line combinations, and not for the first time. All the rookies together come the playoffs really wasn't a good idea, particularly as Jurco had been really good instead of Nyquist on that line and Nyquist was better playing with veterans.

5) He, like Tatar panicked a bit after games 2 and 3 - they both started trying to do far too much on their own, and didn't use their team-mates nearly as well...the pressure got to them as did the physicality and they rushed things.

6) Tats stopped using his linemates completely in 4 & 5 and Sheahan looked slightly out of his depth....Gus didn't get a lot of help from his line.

No particular order.

Few want to listen to this advice. They love Gus. They love Tatar. The Wings will never ice a decent team again if one of them is packaged for a bigger, gritty forward that can score.

Yes, that last sentence was sarcasm.

Am I the only one who remembers the manhandling the Devils gave to the Wings in '95? It looked and felt a lot like this series against the Bruins. Changes had to be made after '95, even though the team had reached the Finals. And we all know how that worked out long term.

Edited by Internet.Unknown

I think people are jumping the gun a little. Nyquist didn't produce on a line with a bunch of other kids. Datsyuk, who became on of the best in the world, was struggling to produce with more vets on the team and his line.

Nyquist didn't have a vetren presence to help him on his line. He is gonna struggle a little.

I would agree that people will be disappointed if he doesn't put up 70+ a year but this usually happens with kids. They go under the radek, get hot and then come down to earth, fight confidence problems and tougher coverage. To think that goose wasn't getting into his own head after owning the NHL for 2 months and then struggling. If you watched him you could tell he was trying anything to force something to go right.

Nyquist will learn how to play in the NHL he hasn't yet and I expect a 40/50 poit next year because I believe he will get top 6 but he won't be a great player for another 2/3 years.

The thing is though what I said about nyquist is the same about Tatar. To give up on guys like that would be dumb. It's east to add size, a lot harder to add skill and will.

I think people are jumping the gun a little. Nyquist didn't produce on a line with a bunch of other kids. Datsyuk, who became on of the best in the world, was struggling to produce with more vets on the team and his line.

Nyquist didn't have a vetren presence to help him on his line. He is gonna struggle a little.

I would agree that people will be disappointed if he doesn't put up 70+ a year but this usually happens with kids. They go under the radek, get hot and then come down to earth, fight confidence problems and tougher coverage. To think that goose wasn't getting into his own head after owning the NHL for 2 months and then struggling. If you watched him you could tell he was trying anything to force something to go right.

Nyquist will learn how to play in the NHL he hasn't yet and I expect a 40/50 poit next year because I believe he will get top 6 but he won't be a great player for another 2/3 years.

The thing is though what I said about nyquist is the same about Tatar. To give up on guys like that would be dumb. It's east to add size, a lot harder to add skill and will.

Beg to differ. Adding guys like Nyquist and tatar is much easier-as the wings have proven time and time again. We come up with guys like them every year. Finding guys like Lucic is the hardest thing to do and most costly to trade for. If you took the 2 of them and tried to get Lucic, Kopitar, backus, etc.... in a deal, the answer would be no everytime.