• Please log in to reply
376 replies to this topic

#81 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:18 PM

Alfie signing a top UFA one? *lol* it was a good signing nothing more nothing less. Weiss signed after being out for almost 6 months..

Niskanen would easily be the biggest offseason signing, the defense needs to become better and not all of these GR guys are going to make it to the big club, some will get t raded others just aren't good enough.

6 years 33 million should get the job done, the cap is rising

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#82 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:27 PM

Like who?  Everyone acts like because we lost out on Parise and Suter, which was solely due to geography, that we somehow aren't a "destination" team.  Name all these top free agents that Holland pursued that the Wings didn't get.

Weiss and Alfredsson were the top two UFA's last year and the Wings signed them both.  Then before that every other team in the league was salivating over Danny DeKeyser.  Who got him?  Oh, yeah, that team no one wants to go to.  

Same with Brunner - Lost of teams interested, he chose us.

#83 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:33 PM

Signing Niskanen or any player coming off a career season in a contract year to a long term contract is a big risk.  Yes, he could continue to play at a high level, or he could fall all the way back to where he had been, or end up somewhere in the middle.  Only one of those 3 makes him worth the contract.  One is a disaster, and the other makes in bearable, but not good.  Given the fact that they have Kronwall, Ericsson, and probably Dekeyser and Smith long term and Sproul, Ouellet, Marchenko, Backman, Jensen, et. al. in the minors, and that at least 2 and possible 4 or 5 prospects who can turn into NHL players, I don't think that the Wings need to take that risk unless they make a major move something like Smith, Ericsson, and a prospect for a Norris caliber d-man who wants to leave his team that will open up a spot.

I bet Franzen would love to have a high priced UFA Dman sign with the team...The Mule can then go back to lurking in the shadows of mediocrity.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#84 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

What does that even mean lol

Franzen and holland bashing is mindless spam. Throw their names in a lame joke that has nothing to do with what is being discussed. There's about eight of them on each page of every thread

Edited by joesuffP, 26 June 2014 - 08:08 PM.

#85 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

I'm way late to this thread. But all I can say is we better not overpay for a guy who has had...count them...ONE good season under his belt. Id rather have an aging Dan Boyle that we know will bring it, like he has almost every other season he's played. However, if the contract is reasonable, I'm all for Niskanen wearing the Winged Wheel.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#86 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

Like who?  Everyone acts like because we lost out on Parise and Suter, which was solely due to geography, that we somehow aren't a "destination" team.  Name all these top free agents that Holland pursued that the Wings didn't get.

Weiss and Alfredsson were the top two UFA's last year and the Wings signed them both.  Then before that every other team in the league was salivating over Danny DeKeyser.  Who got him?  Oh, yeah, that team no one wants to go to.  

People seem to forget about the Dekeyser signing. I think that will turn out to be our biggest steal of the last 5-10 years
I would like Niskanen as long as the contract doesn't exceed $6.00M AAV

Edited by wingsfan4795, 26 June 2014 - 08:15 PM.

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#87 haulinbass

haulinbass

Draftee

• 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:27 PM

Ill take Yandle. Detroit 1st, choice of Sproul or Quellett and maybe a none roster forward prospect like Pulkinnen. I think thats reasonable given Yandle has only 2 seasons on his contract. Niskanen looked really goos to me this year but Yandle is same age and been doing it for years. It could really hinder our options and future signing him to an overpriced 7 year contract.

#88 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

Ill take Yandle. Detroit 1st, choice of Sproul or Quellett and maybe a none roster forward prospect like Pulkinnen. I think thats reasonable given Yandle has only 2 seasons on his contract. Niskanen looked really goos to me this year but Yandle is same age and been doing it for years. It could really hinder our options and future signing him to an overpriced 7 year contract.

You want Yandle ? I do too but that would cost us, the first, one of Nyquist/Tatar + say goodbye to Mantha re you willing to pay that for 2 years of Yandle ? Niskanen ONLY costs $

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#89 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

I agree yandle has been the better player but he is a left handed shot and although we get better, it's not exactly what we need. Tyler Myers would be a better fit and prolly cheaper.

#90 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:42 PM

I agree yandle has been the better player but he is a left handed shot and although we get better, it's not exactly what we need. Tyler Myers would be a better fit and prolly cheaper.

Myers might cost more just due to the fact that it would be a within the division trade. Although according to TSN, Myers is more of a priority for Holland than Yandle is.

#91 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,832 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:43 PM

Didn't Niskanen get beat up by Sidney Crosby?

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#92 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:44 PM

I wouldn't mind Myers... Niskanen at $6 and more will end up like Weiss2.0
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#93 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,832 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:46 PM

Why has Myers gotten so much worse since his rookie season?  

Injuries?  We don't need that.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#94 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

I wouldn't mind Myers... Niskanen at $6 and more will end up like Weiss2.0

Are you suggesting the more you pay Niskanen the more likely he is to get a hernia before the beginning of the season?  Because that's just silly. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#95 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:52 PM

Why has Myers gotten so much worse since his rookie season?  

Injuries?  We don't need that.  

I would say that Sabres sucks... it's difficult to look good on a very bad team

Are you suggesting the more you pay Niskanen the more likely he is to get a hernia before the beginning of the season?  Because that's just silly. 

Overpayment?!
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#96 krsmith17

krsmith17

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

Tyler Myers would be too costly in assets, not to mention he is massively overpaid. 5.5M for a defenseman that has been in a steady decline since his rookie season, no thanks...

#97 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:54 PM

What does that even mean lol

Franzen and holland bashing is mindless spam. Throw their names in a lame joke that has nothing to do with what is being discussed. There's about eight of them on each page of every thread

I'm assuming your post was in reference to mine?

Anywho - my point was made in jest - however there's a tad bit of truth as well...

DickieDunn pointed out how Niskanen will make out like a bandit being a UFA come July 1st, but has he the credentials to earn that sizeable payday?

Like Franzen - he hasn't had multiple years of impressive production to warrant a big raise - however so goes UFA in the modern era of the NHL.

Unless he's brain dead - I'm certain Franzen is away of his critics - be it us fans, or the media...My joke involved the notion of having someone else on the team that isn't living up to their expectation (read paycheck) as to take the heat off himself.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#98 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,302 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:33 PM

Folks forget how much money was wasted on Cleary, Sammy, and Toots.... Holland needs to lock this guy up AND get Stralman + another forward
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#99 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,060 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:49 PM

Niskanen might be our prime target now...

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 3m

#RedWings have talked to UFA D Dan Boyle's camp, but sense is another team will give him more $$$ & term.

Butttttt if we get neither, say hello to Tom Gilbert or Stephane Robidas :lol:

#NOMOREKINDL

#100 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:52 PM

Niskanen might be our prime target now...

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 3m

#RedWings have talked to UFA D Dan Boyle's camp, but sense is another team will give him more $$$ & term.

Butttttt if we get neither, say hello to Tom Gilbert or Stephane Robidas :lol:

Good! I don't think Boyle is the solution and he prolly wants 3 years. Despite people's arguments, I think Niskanen will be good for a long time.