• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#21 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:27 AM

That is the funniest thing I have seen forever. How the hell does someone come up with such a creative concept and then execute it so well? Way to go, Flashy.

#22 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:14 AM

The Wham! Track was a plus, nice choice. For some reason, maybe lyric content, I thought Muse's "Supermassive Black Hole" could work too.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#23 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:40 AM

Hossa was offered the same contract they gave Franzen, he turned it down so they went with plan b and signed Franzen.

That is nothing but an excuse. Franzen was signed before Hossa and after there wasn't enough cap space to sign Hossa to a contract he deserved. Of course he would turn down Franzen money, he is worth way more. There is no excuse for such a horrible decision by Holland.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#24 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

Hilarious gif!

To answer the OP though...

Hindsight is always 20/20. 

Even at his current contract vs. points/goals produced, Franzen is a good deal.  People like to forget that because he is streaky and admittedly looks lazy as f*** out there a lot of the time.  Name another player that can consistently put up those numbers at his cap hit though.  Can't.  Its not possible in the current NHL.

Filppula has  great potential, but for whatever reason was unable to reach it with us.  To say Weiss is half the player is silly.  You are seriously going to judge him as a hockey player based on one season where he played the first half severely injured, and had to leave for surgery the second?  Come on...  Its way to early to speak on Weiss as a Wing.

Tootoo was bought out as a courtesy to him, so he could continue his NHL career (if a team picks him up) instead of being buried in the minors.

And you didn't even mention Quincey or Cleary.  Those are the two players that are going to handicap the team this season.  (not to mention they are both getting absurd paychecks for sucking)

#25 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

That is nothing but an excuse. Franzen was signed before Hossa and after there wasn't enough cap space to sign Hossa to a contract he deserved. Of course he would turn down Franzen money, he is worth way more. There is no excuse for such a horrible decision by Holland.

I've heard a lot of Chicago fans complaining about hossa too

#26 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

I've heard a lot of Chicago fans complaining about hossa too

About what? Him making Kane and Toews look bad?

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#27 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:38 AM

About what? Him making Kane and Toews look bad?

Him being lazy, floating, being streaky. He is basically their franzen but he puts up slightly higher point totals.

#28 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:13 AM

Him being lazy, floating, being streaky. He is basically their franzen but he puts up slightly higher point totals.

Hossa is an elite defensive forward. I have never heard anyone call him lazy around hockey. Hossa is always creating something and noticeable on the ice, even when he isn't scoring. There's no comparison to Franzen.

Besides, that fanbase started watching hockey in 2010, so that's probably not the most accurate gauge of a player's worth.

Edited by GoWings1905, 12 July 2014 - 11:13 AM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#29 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

Impossible. Holland should have chosen Hossa over Franzen. Making Hossa, in my mind, the elite force he was and always will be!

#30 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,079 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

I came in here to complain, now I can't stop watching and listening to this :lol:

#NOMOREKINDL

#31 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

What??  Hossa is streaky maybe, but he isn't lazy or a floater.  The guy goes all out even when he's not putting up points. 

The biggest downside of Hossa is his increasing list of nagging injuries.  

#32 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

Holland made it quite clear to both of them, and to the fans through the media, that he only had the cap space to sign one of them, and whichever signed first would get the contract.  Franzen signed first, Hossa landed on his feet.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#33 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

Impossible. Holland should have chosen Hossa over Franzen. Making Hossa, in my mind, the elite force he was and always will be!

That's just opinion & speculation on your part    starwars.gif    :P

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#34 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

Holland made it quite clear to both of them, and to the fans through the media, that he only had the cap space to sign one of them, and whichever signed first would get the contract.  Franzen signed first, Hossa landed on his feet.

Franzen jumped first, for which I don't blame him.  He was coming off a season that few had predicted.  Hossa was coming off yet another good season.  His playoffs were bad due to injury.  I don't remember when it was that Franzen re-signed, but I thought it was a great deal at the time.

Hossa knew he could make more elsewhere, even though he'd probably have stayed if the money was right.  Franzen wasn't sure if anyone else would offer that plus he wanted to stay in Detroit. (The part about Hossa is a guess.  The part about Franzen was what I remember him saying, but after this amount of time, I have no link for it.)

As to the direction of this team, I'd say it's getting younger, but still with some veteran presence.  If this means a lag whilst the young guns get a couple years of experience under their belts, than it is what it is.  I just hope they don't wait until Kronner, Dats, and Z are old to get another Cup.

#35 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

What??  Hossa is streaky maybe, but he isn't lazy or a floater.  The guy goes all out even when he's not putting up points. 

The biggest downside of Hossa is his increasing list of nagging injuries.  

Hey I'm not arguing against anyone on this. I am stating that some Chicago fans I know say these things.

#36 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

1st the signing of Franzen over Hossa whoch now looks worse and worse.

Weiss signing over Filppula. Yes there was time where Filppula looked lost but let's face it at half the player he is better then Weiss. Those 25 goals and 33 assists would have looked nice on the roster last year.

He used his last buyout on Tootoo who was to make a little over 1 million this year on the last year of his deal...why?

This season its sitting back and watching other teams pick up players. I know the Red Wings aren't really a destination anymore but I wouldn't have bitched even if the Red Wings took a 1 year flyer on Heatley. Which he ended up signing for 1 million with Anaheim.

Hell they should have just bit the bullet and brought legwand back.

Now there is no promise that even Alfredsson will come back. Also with the talks of trading Tatar for Green I just don't know anymore.

I've tried soo hard to support Holland but I just can't anymore.

Hossa was offered a contract, he didn't sign it.  Franzen was negotiating at the same time and he accepted first.  He'd just come off a huge playoff and big season, and was looking like a 30 goal a year guy.  Had Holland not signed him, and he left and Hossa still left for Chicago because he was chasing a Cup, the Wings would have been screwed.  Remember, Hossa did pretty much the same thing to the Pens the summer before.

Filppula wanted out, and after the season he had he shouldn't have been signed to that contract.  If he has another big year in 14-15 it will be the first time in his career he was healthy and productive back to back seasons.

Tootoo was bought out because nobody else was getting bought out, and it saved $975k in cap space and about $650k in real money.  It was use it then or lose it, the compliance buyouts aren't valid after this summer.

Holland offered contracts to every decent player out there.  They went to other teams for various reasons.

Legwand would have been the 3rd center, assuming Weiss is healthy.  They don't need him for that role with Helm and Sheahan on the roster.

Tatar for Green is media and fan speculation, not something Holland has said.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#37 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

People here seem to forget there's a Salary Cap. I think it's obvious Holland is building through the draft, and won't overpay for UFA's. Teams that build through the draft win Championships, teams that sign over priced UFA's don't.

Hindsight is always 20/20 vision, after the 2009 playoffs if Holland signed Hossa over Franzen there would have been a riot! Hossa was a letdown in the playoffs, while Franzen had 12 goals, and 13 the year before. I think based on what both players make, and the points they've put up, Franzen vs. Hossa has been a wash.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#38 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:45 PM

As far as the 2014/2015 season - this is what I keep telling myself...  

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#39 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:16 PM

With everyone healthy were a 4 line team. Ignore the defense.

#40 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:22 PM

With everyone healthy were a 4 line team. Ignore the defense.

The former is highly unlikely and the latter is going to be tough to ignore. 

"To whom much is given, much is expected."