http://www.mlive.com...s_arena_en.html

#2 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

Sweeeeeeeet.

Best news related to the Wings in years.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#3 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,456 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

I can only be an improvement to the area, and I am sure the local fans will love it.  I am very happy that I got to attend a few games at the epic and irreplaceable Joe Louis Arena.  I loved every second of the games I attended there and felt privileged as a fan to be there. 

Sentiment aside, the Wings deserve the best.  I hope this new arena is just that.

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#4 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

The entertainment center (whatever that ends up being) is being built in a great place. Just on the other side of the freeway, it will be able to expand downtown into a currently blighted area, and just about connect the gap between downtown and midtown, which would make that entire stretch of Woodward healthy and thriving. Gilbert has been buying up tons of blighted real estate with his own projects of revitalization in mind, and it finally looks like Detroit has a competent mayor in Duggan, and he's already done a ton for the city in his short time in office. Detroit has been taking it on the chin for years, but we are on our way back up, and there are several dedicated parties looking to make sure these visions are met.

Edit, the post I responded to has been deleted, which makes my post seem kinda random. Anyway, I'm excited about hearing what the details will be about this arena (and entertainment complex), and what it means for the area in general.

Edited by Echolalia, 19 July 2014 - 12:16 PM.

#5 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,807 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

Remember to keep discussion related to the new arena. Politics and all related discussion are not welcome on LGW.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#6 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

Not to get too off topic, but the citys future is beginning to look brighter thanks to major investors like Dan Gilbert and Illitch.  The proposed arena/M-1 rail will encourage new development.

Its still bad, but a new arena is not going to hurt anything. 
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#7 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

For those preaching about Detroit related issues, you either embrace the new arena or allow the team to be moved. Can't have it both ways. 

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#8 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

It'll be called The Octopus's Garden and shaped like Ringo's head.

Edited by Dabura, 20 July 2014 - 01:09 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#9 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

I am still lobbying for "The Cadillac Centre" if it gets named that, I will s***! I am leaving emails...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#10 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

I'll be shocked if its not named after Little Caesars or Olympia

#11 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

I'll be shocked if its not named after Little Caesars or Olympia

I don't expect it will be. Illitch is looking to sell out the arena name to cover some of the cost. Calling it Little Caesars Arena would essentially be paying one pocket with the money from the other. This is likely why they went with Comerica Park instead of Little Caesars Stadium or Olympia Park.

Edited by Echolalia, 19 July 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#12 turbowhistle86

turbowhistle86

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

We all know it will be the Cleary Center! But in all seriousness, I'm glad to see that the Wings are getting the state of the art arena they deserve. Many of the newer venues are catering to the families and casual sports fans who expect a "show" besides just the game.

#13 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

I would be absolutely surprised if it wasn't called Olympia Arena/Place/Center/Stadium..

"The arena itself would cost $450 million. Olympia would contribute $11.5 million annually for 30 years toward the construction debt for the 650,000-square-foot arena. The DDA would contribute $2 million a year. And another $12.8 to $15 million a year would come from property taxes paid within the city's downtown development district.

Olympia would also invest $200 million in developing the proposed entertainment district, bringing the development's total price tag to about $650 million."  - Mlive

#14 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

Cautiously excited - if this arena is planned anything like the Wings last 3 off seasons it could be a disaster. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#15 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

Cautiously excited - if this arena is planned anything like the Wings last 3 off seasons it could be a disaster. 

Well played sir.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#16 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

I have mixed feelings about this. Personally, I love the Joe. It has so much character, history and the sight lines (IMO) are great. Even in the upper deck it feels like you're on top of the action, and the standing room areas are superb. 

While the idea of a new arena is also exciting, I can't help but feel it will be another generic, state of the art place where everything is overpriced and you have to bring binoculars to the game. 

temp 1

#17 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:00 PM

Don't be shocked when the new rink has equally good sight lines. Capacity will actually be about 2000 seats less so in theory all seats should be at least better than some seats at the Joe. There's no logical reason that wouldn't put an emphasis on sight lines. That's probably the single most important thing to designing a rink.
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#18 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:20 PM

Thankfully Holland will have no input in building the arena or it would come out looking like a pizza hut.

Im not thrilled about this because 2 years ago i was married on the ice in Joe Louis. Its going to be sad if they tear it down and we cant go back to where we were married.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke, 19 July 2014 - 10:20 PM.

#19 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:16 PM

I'm hoping for Olympia.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#20 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:26 PM

Thankfully Holland will have no input in building the arena or it would come out looking like a pizza hut.
Im not thrilled about this because 2 years ago i was married on the ice in Joe Louis. Its going to be sad if they tear it down and we cant go back to where we were married.

it will be torn down