• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheCaptain19

'District Detroit': Red Wings' New Arena Details Released

Rate this topic

I can only be an improvement to the area, and I am sure the local fans will love it. I am very happy that I got to attend a few games at the epic and irreplaceable Joe Louis Arena. I loved every second of the games I attended there and felt privileged as a fan to be there.

Sentiment aside, the Wings deserve the best. I hope this new arena is just that.

The entertainment center (whatever that ends up being) is being built in a great place. Just on the other side of the freeway, it will be able to expand downtown into a currently blighted area, and just about connect the gap between downtown and midtown, which would make that entire stretch of Woodward healthy and thriving. Gilbert has been buying up tons of blighted real estate with his own projects of revitalization in mind, and it finally looks like Detroit has a competent mayor in Duggan, and he's already done a ton for the city in his short time in office. Detroit has been taking it on the chin for years, but we are on our way back up, and there are several dedicated parties looking to make sure these visions are met.

Edit, the post I responded to has been deleted, which makes my post seem kinda random. Anyway, I'm excited about hearing what the details will be about this arena (and entertainment complex), and what it means for the area in general.

Edited by Echolalia

I'll be shocked if its not named after Little Caesars or Olympia

I don't expect it will be. Illitch is looking to sell out the arena name to cover some of the cost. Calling it Little Caesars Arena would essentially be paying one pocket with the money from the other. This is likely why they went with Comerica Park instead of Little Caesars Stadium or Olympia Park. Edited by Echolalia

We all know it will be the Cleary Center! But in all seriousness, I'm glad to see that the Wings are getting the state of the art arena they deserve. Many of the newer venues are catering to the families and casual sports fans who expect a "show" besides just the game.

I would be absolutely surprised if it wasn't called Olympia Arena/Place/Center/Stadium..

"The arena itself would cost $450 million. Olympia would contribute $11.5 million annually for 30 years toward the construction debt for the 650,000-square-foot arena. The DDA would contribute $2 million a year. And another $12.8 to $15 million a year would come from property taxes paid within the city's downtown development district.

Olympia would also invest $200 million in developing the proposed entertainment district, bringing the development's total price tag to about $650 million." - Mlive

I have mixed feelings about this. Personally, I love the Joe. It has so much character, history and the sight lines (IMO) are great. Even in the upper deck it feels like you're on top of the action, and the standing room areas are superb.

While the idea of a new arena is also exciting, I can't help but feel it will be another generic, state of the art place where everything is overpriced and you have to bring binoculars to the game.

Don't be shocked when the new rink has equally good sight lines. Capacity will actually be about 2000 seats less so in theory all seats should be at least better than some seats at the Joe. There's no logical reason that wouldn't put an emphasis on sight lines. That's probably the single most important thing to designing a rink.

Cautiously excited - if this arena is planned anything like the Wings last 3 off seasons it could be a disaster.

Thankfully Holland will have no input in building the arena or it would come out looking like a pizza hut.

Im not thrilled about this because 2 years ago i was married on the ice in Joe Louis. Its going to be sad if they tear it down and we cant go back to where we were married.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke

Thankfully Holland will have no input in building the arena or it would come out looking like a pizza hut.

Im not thrilled about this because 2 years ago i was married on the ice in Joe Louis. Its going to be sad if they tear it down and we cant go back to where we were married.

it will be torn down

Olympia sounds nice. However Red Wings Arena would be an instant classic and the best hockey arena in the world. Too bad it would not happen.

Edited by arag

Just picked up the free press and I have to say, this place is amazing looking. I can't wait to actually see this done in person, I feel like I'm going to have to make that a place to be on my weekends once this place is there and not just on paper.