Photo
- - - - -

Who is YOUR most under-appreciated/unsung Red Wing?

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

I've been watching some video of Wings teams of yore and I was wondering which Red Wing do you think went under-appreciated or was unsung yet did a lot of good or great things. I think my choice would be Kozlov.

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#2 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 821 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

Lapointe

#3 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,076 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

I'd say Holmstrom.

Guy was never remotely close to being an All star caliber player, and his 530 career points won't impress anybody who didn't see him play, when they look back at his stats 20 years from now.  

However, he was so important, even when he didn't score a point.  Imagine how many goals were scored that he didn't even register a point on, where he was somehow largely responsible for the goal with his screens.    

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#4 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

I agree with holmstrom. 

As soon as he left, our PP went from #1 to 20. Obviously this is in part to Lids + Raffi, but theres no doubt he played a huge part. We havn't been able to do anything net-front wise since he left.

Holmstrom created so many chances just by being there, frustrating goalies and tipping shots. So many ugly rebound goals or screened shots from the point went in because of him

You could also make the argument that our PP stinks because we can't take it into the zone, but thats another argument. 

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing. The goalie then gives up, and flops like a fish. The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#5 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

Recently - Homer. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#6 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:02 PM

Where's Paulwoodsfan when you need him???

#7 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,858 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

Homer of course.  Man do I miss him :(.  We sure could use a guy like that.

#8 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

Daniel Cleary

#9 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

Here I am, number9. I vote for . . . Homer. A truly unique player -- literally no one else has ever been really like him. Some guys (like Dino C) did some of the things he did, but only Homer had the complete package of screening and annoying goalies, deflecting deadly shots and digging the puck out of the corner the way he did.

Paul Woods ranks in my top five, tho.

Edited by paulwoodsfan, 03 August 2014 - 06:32 PM.

#10 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:34 PM

I would have to say Chris Osgood. The guy definitely had his faults, and had stretches where he was god awful, but what he was able to accomplish in his career here was on paper HOF worthy. People always seem to jump to the "Anyone could have won the cup with those teams in front of him" argument, but to me that isn’t fair. Many great teams have been eliminated by inferior teams due to goaltending (Detroit (Legace) vs Edmonton (Roloson)).

Even after the 2 year stretch in 08 & 09, I still here people calling him garbage.

I think on a mainstream level Holmstrom is a good pick, but I think most diehards give him the credit he deserves. I don’t think I have ever met a Wings fan who doesn’t give Holmstrom his due.

Edited by kliq, 03 August 2014 - 06:35 PM.

#11 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,076 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:36 PM

I would have to say Chris Osgood. The guy definitely had his faults, and had stretches where he was god awful, but what he was able to accomplish in his career here was on paper HOF worthy. People always seem to jump to the "Anyone could have won the cup with those teams in front of him" argument, but to me that isn’t fair. Many great teams have been eliminated by inferior teams due to goaltending (Detroit (Legace) vs Edmonton (Roloson)).

Even after the 2 year stretch in 08 & 09, I still here people calling him garbage.

I think on a mainstream level Holmstrom is a good pick, but I think most diehards give him the credit he deserves. I don’t think I have ever met a Wings fan who doesn’t give Holmstrom his due.

It depends on who you ask.  Wings fan give Holmstrom credit.  Maybe even other teams fans do.  I'm confident, though, that in the future, people will not give him enough credit.  His stats won't look all that impressive.  

Osgood is another player I thought about voting for.  He was a really good goalie.  Almost a HOF goalie (thanks Brad Stuart).  What will hurt him in this argument is that Detroit won 3 Cups with three different goalies from 1997-2002.    

Edited by GMRwings1983, 03 August 2014 - 07:37 PM.

#12 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:46 PM

It depends on who you ask.  Wings fan give Holmstrom credit.  Maybe even other teams fans do.  I'm confident, though, that in the future, people will not give him enough credit.  His stats won't look all that impressive.  

Osgood is another player I thought about voting for.  He was a really good goalie.  Almost a HOF goalie (thanks Brad Stuart).  What will hurt him in this argument is that Detroit won 3 Cups with three different goalies from 1997-2002.    

ya, but Osgood won 2 of the 4 and was 1 game away from a 3rd, plus a near MVP.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#13 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,076 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:57 PM

ya, but Osgood won 2 of the 4 and was 1 game away from a 3rd, plus a near MVP.

The one in 2008 was a different era.  I was talking about the first three Cups.  

I can see the argument.  Wings fans think of him as an above average goalie who was a good whipping boy.  In truth, he's a borderline Hall of Famer with two Cups and over 400 wins.  He was more than a good goalie.  

At the end of the day, though, he'll be more remembered than someone like Holmstrom, who only had two 50 point seasons in his career.  For those who never saw him play, people looking back at his stats will think of Ozzie as a good goalie.  I doubt people will do the same for Holmstrom.  

#14 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

I've been watching some video of Wings teams of yore and I was wondering which Red Wing do you think went under-appreciated or was unsung yet did a lot of good or great things. I think my choice would be Kozlov.

Gotta be honest...Kozzie's 1st 3, or 4 seasons in Detroit were solid, but I grew weary of watching him screw up, and play with a great amount of indifference...I was oh so happy seeing him traded to Buffalo for Hasek.

This is probably redundant, but I gotta say Konstantinov...

I was a fan of his long before that horrible night (in fact - my 1st customized jersey was a home white #16)...I recall reading an article many years ago that his 1st NHL contract included a brand new Chevy Caprice...He was the type of player that wasn't a fighter, but found himself in many a scrum, and was always ready for retaliation (Jocelyn Lemieux tasted Vladdy's lumber one night when he took a run at  Vladdy - was cut for over 100 stitches - and Vladdy didn't even get a pen - :lol:).

Konstantinov was arguably one of the Wings most consistent Dmen back then, and would've won a Norris Trophy or two had he not been in that accident.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#15 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:32 PM

What about Dougie Brownov?

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#16 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:40 PM

The one in 2008 was a different era.  I was talking about the first three Cups.  

I can see the argument.  Wings fans think of him as an above average goalie who was a good whipping boy.  In truth, he's a borderline Hall of Famer with two Cups and over 400 wins.  He was more than a good goalie.  

At the end of the day, though, he'll be more remembered than someone like Holmstrom, who only had two 50 point seasons in his career.  For those who never saw him play, people looking back at his stats will think of Ozzie as a good goalie.  I doubt people will do the same for Holmstrom.  

He was also able to change his playing style from a standup goalie to a hybrid. I think that often gets overlooked.

#17 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:48 PM

Gotta be honest...Kozzie's 1st 3, or 4 seasons in Detroit were solid, but I grew weary of watching him screw up, and play with a great amount of indifference...I was oh so happy seeing him traded to Buffalo for Hasek.

This is probably redundant, but I gotta say Konstantinov...

I was a fan of his long before that horrible night (in fact - my 1st customized jersey was a home white #16)...I recall reading an article many years ago that his 1st NHL contract included a brand new Chevy Caprice...He was the type of player that wasn't a fighter, but found himself in many a scrum, and was always ready for retaliation (Jocelyn Lemieux tasted Vladdy's lumber one night when he took a run at  Vladdy - was cut for over 100 stitches - and Vladdy didn't even get a pen - :lol:).

Konstantinov was arguably one of the Wings most consistent Dmen back then, and would've won a Norris Trophy or two had he not been in that accident.

I'm pretty sure in 1997 he was second to Brian Leetch in Norris voting.

#18 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,076 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

What about Downey?

Guy won us the Cup in 2008.  The manhood that he displayed in the regular season rubbed off on our soft Euros come playoff time.  To this day, people still discredit him on LGW.  

#19 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:00 PM

In my mind Konstantinov would have been legendary had that tragedy not occurred.

#20 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,548 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

Larionov. I don't know that he was "under appreciated" per se, but I feel like he had such a fantastic mind and hockey sense while not being the most physically skilled, or strongest, or fastest, etc. He could read a play and position himself a step ahead every time.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger