• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sputman

Does Kenny Hate Mickey?

Rate this topic

Did anybody else hear Kenny say to Mickey "You can feel free to jump in here anytime you'd like" last night? It happened at about the 5:30 mark. I watched the 1st period again and noticed that Mickey said nothing between 12:30 and 5:30 when he was called out.

https://soundcloud.com/sputman-1/kenmick

Have you noticed any tension between the two before? I always thought they were very friendly towards each other.

There was some chatter last night when that happened that Mickey was probably "drunk" hanging out with some old friends from Montreal. Mickey is always joking around about drinking "Ginger Ales," is he sauced most nights? Does he miss Murph?

I've noticed this happening before, but nothing like last night. If Mickey wants to be so unprofessional, then maybe he should just retire. I love the guy, but you can't do that during a game for half the period.

That happened because there was a long stretch of action with no whistles. I took it more as a comment about how Ken was so busy calling the play-by-play that there was no room for Mickey to get a comment in.

I thought of that, too. But when I listened back to that stretch it seemed like Kenny was giving Mickey a lot of opportunities to jump in and he wasn't biting.

I thought of that, too. But when I listened back to that stretch it seemed like Kenny was giving Mickey a lot of opportunities to jump in and he wasn't biting.

And you could be right.

Maybe Ken was annoyed that Mickey spent all game boner-ing over Price. I know that I found that annoying considering Jimmy was making more saves at the other end.

Mickey is a legendary color man. Those who speak ill of him shall receive no butt pats.

Can mickey drink? I thought he had bad stomach/intestinal problems?

I totally agree. But that doesn't mean he falls outside the realm of criticism from time to time.

And yes, I don't think he can drink anymore either.

I took it as more Kenny joking around because there was such a long period with no whistles. Or maybe Mickey wanted to say chime in and something but couldn't because of the ongoing action and Kenny knew that (after all, they can see each other and their body language whereas we only have their voices to go off of). Anyway I don't think there's any animosity between them because they typically have excellent chemistry and often joke around. I want to say that Kenny and Mickey celebrated Thanksgiving or Christmas or something recently, but I might be misremembering.

I also love all that Mickey has to offer as a color commentator. He is an entertaining individual, not the cookie-cutter type of boring, safe personality that you see so often in sports. The guy is passionate, and what I love the most about him is that he comes off as a fan of the game of hockey moreso than a fan of the Red Wings. Sure he loves the Wings, and it's his job to pass out praise to our team, but he doesn't shy away from passing out praise to players or coaches from other teams, hates weak penalties regardless of who gets the power play, and hates dangerous plays and dives regardless of who's doing them. It's good to have that kind of voice on tv, I think, instead of the mindless homer who puts his team above all others regardless of the situation as well as the game of hockey itself.

Guest Playmaker

I'm still somewhat partial to Dave Strader with Mickey Redmond. I get annoyed with the constant "connections" Ken is always trying to make. Oh, he's a Spartan and he's a Wolverine, they probably played against each other. That pass was picked off by his fellow countryman Stuff like that. He does it way too much.

?.. The older he gets, the worse he gets. I really don't see him in the booth much longer.

Couldn't disagree more. He's the real deal. There is no better guy to replace him with.

I might have to jump ship if Ozzie becomes our new color guy D:

If he doesn't drink anymore, he sure sounds like he does.

Then maybe other color guys should start drinking? Cause Mick is one of the best, if not the best, in the business right now. He's a hall of fame commentator easy

But yeah, distract your jumping to conclusions about the mans drinking by attacking his ability to do his job.

I'm still somewhat partial to Dave Strader with Mickey Redmond. I get annoyed with the constant "connections" Ken is always trying to make. Oh, he's a Spartan and he's a Wolverine, they probably played against each other. That pass was picked off by his fellow countryman Stuff like that. He does it way too much.

I still find it odd yet somewhat familiar when I hear Strader working a game. People age but voices must be one of the last things to go.

Mother effer, I thought that was just me hearing that! It sounds like he's trying to prove how much he can remember. And I agree about Dave Strader. I'd take Larry Murphy over Ken.

If he doesn't drink anymore, he sure sounds like he does.

Then maybe other color guys should start drinking? Cause Mick is one of the best, if not the best, in the business right now. He's a hall of fame commentator easy

But yeah, distract your jumping to conclusions about the mans drinking by attacking his ability to do his job.

I'm not distracting anything. He's not as good as he was, he sounds like he's drunk half the time, and I don't think he'll be in the booth much longer.

Mother effer, I thought that was just me hearing that! It sounds like he's trying to prove how much he can remember. And I agree about Dave Strader. I'd take Larry Murphy over Ken.

He still isn't anywhere near as bad or annoying about it as Pierre McGuire.

I'm not distracting anything. He's not as good as he was, he sounds like he's drunk half the time, and I don't think he'll be in the booth much longer.

I've listened to Redmond since I was 5 years old and started watching Wings games, so I'll take the guy no matter how he sounds.

Plus, Redmond drunk off his @ss would still be way better than Osgood.