• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Red Wings acquire Erik Cole, conditional 3rd from Stars

Rate this topic

Dellevano stepped aside for Holland, if I'm not mistaken. Its not unheard of. Also, although I'm sure Yzerman wanted it...Ilitch wanted him to have it. Ilitch wanted Yzerman to stay. And i personally am not heartbroken Yzerman runs the show in TB...Im glad he got to be the guy somewhere. I just believe if Ilitch and the fans would have had their first choice, he would have stayed.

Not me. At the time Yzerman had not proven that he could be a competent GM and we had one with a great history of success. I would not have chosen Yzerman just because he was an amazing hockey player.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

If Illitch really wanted Yzerman to replace Holland, you don't think he could have done this? Pretty sure a franchise that has helped Russians defect, could force a current GM to step aside. To me, Ilitch was trying to do some damage control when Yzerman left (for the sake of fans like you) by saying "I love Stevie, I did everything I could to get him to stay", when really he was probably thinking "I love Stevie, but Kenny's the best GM in the NHL, so I probably shouldn't force him to give up his job to a rookie GM"

Just my opinion, of course.

Not to mention, I'm not sure that giving former players important jobs within the organization is such a good thing. Especially if they haven't proven themselves. I don't care if Maltby is a scout, or Draper is an assistant. But I would be very reluctant to make a former player the GM or Coach or President of the team just because it would be popular with the fans.

Wanna know why?

These guys...

Lowe-and-Mac.jpg

Edited by kipwinger

Not to mention, I'm not sure that giving former players important jobs within the organization is such a good thing. Especially if they haven't proven themselves. I don't care if Maltby is a scout, or Draper is an assistant. But I would be very reluctant to make a former player the GM or Coach or President of the team just because it would be popular with the fans.

Wanna know why?

These guys...

Lowe-and-Mac.jpg

You're right. You're so right...so many teams have blew it by doing that. But like i was saying, I would bet that Yzerman would have been still more of an Assistant than given the full reigns, even if he were named GM. If Holland would have accepted it, insure he still would have had a lot of say in decisions and not let Yzerman make a ton of rookie mistakes.

I think you're right. Ilitch could have MADE it happen...but i don't think he's that type of guy. And I think, as I said in a previous post, that Holland still would have had significant say in what went on, so it wouldn't exactly be like completely handing Stevie the reigns.

PS...If no one has got the point yet, i didn't use my age as some ultimate stick of authority. Clearly I'm not old or know everything. I said it because i wanted to back up my point that i wasn't judging on "vibes" and that i have a long history of playing and following the game enough to not base a judgement on how feel every 10 minutes.

From http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5294248

"Steve has known for a long time that Kenny and Jim were not going anywhere and that they were going to sign these long-term deals," Devellano said.

Ilitch never really wanted Yzerman over Holland.

Don't think people know how good Cole really still is. He's big, still fast and on pace to score 20, maybe close to 25 goals this year. And you gave away a prospect who burned all his bridges was never going to see NHL ice with the wings and was buried behind a ton of defensive prospects already and a decent forward prospect but Detroit already has a surplus of young PROVEN NHL quality forwards. Draft pick wasn't going to see the NHL ice for 5 years either. Got proven NHL player for no one that was going to see the NHL ice any time soon. Perfectly good trade.

Put Cole on the third line with Sheahan and Helm and we'd have the best third line in the playoffs. The top two lines would see the other teams top two D pairs but that third line could murder most teams getting to play against their 3rd D pair.

God I hope you're right about a dominant third line, I've been hoping for that strategy of killing other teams third pair since Cleary, Modano and Hudler were supposed to do it.

I really wanted Yandle

I like this trade, Backman was done as soon as he left for Sweden. I'm a fan of Janmark but he's probably down the depth chart so it's more a pint. If we get a trade for a D today, we can really challenge!

Umm which defender other than Petry is still available?

This is not an all in year for the Wings

Don't think people know how good Cole really still is. He's big, still fast and on pace to score 20, maybe close to 25 goals this year. And you gave away a prospect who burned all his bridges was never going to see NHL ice with the wings and was buried behind a ton of defensive prospects already and a decent forward prospect but Detroit already has a surplus of young PROVEN NHL quality forwards. Draft pick wasn't going to see the NHL ice for 5 years either. Got proven NHL player for no one that was going to see the NHL ice any time soon. Perfectly good trade.

Put Cole on the third line with Sheahan and Helm and we'd have the best third line in the playoffs. The top two lines would see the other teams top two D pairs but that third line could murder most teams getting to play against their 3rd D pair.

Seems a waste to use him that low on this team. He's a scoring version of Abdelkadee, so it makes sense to slot him in on the top two lines. Cole would make the top lines better than he would make the third line better.

Umm which defender other than Petry is still available? This is not an all in year for the Wings

I agree. This is not an all in year for the Wings. Typically, these "all in" years don't work anyway. Look at when the Pens traded for Iglina and Morrow back in 13. People thought they were going to go all the way, and they got stuffed in the conference finals. These killer trades usually don't result in a cup win.

The Wings are a great team with an opportunity to compete for the cup this year. They won't be the favorites, but they weren't the favorites in 1997 when they finished 3rd in the Western Conference and won the cup.

I believe that any team that gets in can win the cup. Getting in is the key.

EDIT: I said the pens got stuffed in the 1st round and that was incorrect. They made it to the conference finals that year.

Edited by Nightfall

I agree. This is not an all in year for the Wings. Typically, these "all in" years don't work anyway. Look at when the Pens traded for Iglina and Morrow back in 13. People thought they were going to go all the way, and they got stuffed in the 1st round. These killer trades usually don't result in a cup win.

The Wings are a great team with an opportunity to compete for the cup this year. They won't be the favorites, but they weren't the favorites in 1997 when they finished 3rd in the Western Conference and won the cup.

I believe that any team that gets in can win the cup. Getting in is the key.

They actually made it to the Conference Finals that year, but nevertheless didn't accomplish their goal. I think in the Wings case, a big trade would hurt more than help. This team has a solid young core with good chemistry. I don't want to rock that boat.

More evidence that Holland has lost it.

Petry was just traded for a 2nd and a conditional 5th to the Habs.

The type of player they were hoping to get, a basic upgrade on Alexi

Holland gives up two, players that could have at least added depth or grown in trade value AND a second for a player 10 years older who is arguably as good as Cleary when you have decent depth to begin with...

Not saying it was a damaging trade... it just is another example where another team is able to get more for less.

Holland gives up two, players that could have at least added depth or grown in trade value AND a second for a player 10 years older who is arguably as good as Cleary when you have decent depth to begin with...

Not saying it was a damaging trade... it just is another example where another team is able to get more for less.

Cole is arguably as good as Cleary?

Lol.

Zero credibility after saying that.

"@Bill_Roose: Erik Cole will wear No. 72 in Detroit. He'll be first #RedWings player to don that number since Motor City Smitty (Brad Smith) in 1984-85."

Why O Why isn't Brendan Smith nicknamed "Motor City Smitty"? I'd cut him some slack if this could catch on.

According to THN, the Leafs want Smith for Phaneuf...any takers?

I'm on the fence with if Cole will be any more effective then Sammy/Cleary/Bertuzzi/Modano but it certainly isn't a bad signing all things considered.

Now the Pylon is another story, I have a feeling we are going to get him and I'm nervous as hell at what the terms are going to be...

Marchenko has been playing just as good as petry, and they have the exact same amount if playoff experience.

The small upgrade(if any) petry has over Marchy, imo is not worth a fifth round pick by itself, let alone more.

Plus marchenko still has a lot of upside left, he's looked better each and every game he's played.

And I'm not even touching the cleary talk.

Cole is arguably as good as Cleary?

Lol.

Zero credibility after saying that.

Why O Why isn't Brendan Smith nicknamed "Motor City Smitty"? I'd cut him some slack if this could catch on.

According to THN, the Leafs want Smith for Phaneuf...any takers?

Haha. Cole forgot how to skate in the hours its been since he was traded to us.

And honestly, smith hasn't been bad, and I think wed miss his speed, but phaneuf would make us better as long as he hasn't completely checked out already.

I would not be okay with trading Jurco with smith, and I wouldn't want to give up this years first rounder either.

They actually made it to the Conference Finals that year, but nevertheless didn't accomplish their goal. I think in the Wings case, a big trade would hurt more than help. This team has a solid young core with good chemistry. I don't want to rock that boat.

Doh! My bad. I looked at the wrong year. :P

I do agree with what you are saying though. We are one of the youngest teams in the league. I don't want to rock the boat.

I gotta give props to Mickey Redmond on calling this trade; he predicted that the Wings would add some depth at forward which is exactly what Holland did...Time to eat my crow.

The way I see it - how many years does Hank/Dats/Kronner have left in their 'prime'?

All 3 are well in their 30's, and are starting to show wear...I feel it's gonna be now, and/or next year.

I disagree. The franchise as a whole has given these three players many opportunities to win championships. They should have repeated in 2009 but the Penguins had different plans. In 2013 they had a 3-1 series lead on the Hawks and lost 3 straight. There are other examples I could throw out there, but my point is that its not like they have been toiling in hell with no chance to win a cup like many other great players who retired without a championship.

All 3 are going to be retiring with at least 1 championship. I don't believe that this year or next year is a "all in" kind of season for the Wings because the health of the franchise is more important. Holland won't mortgage the future to give 3 players another crack at the cup. What he will do is give the team as a whole an opportunity to compete for a cup like he is this year. He will set the team up for future success so the next wave of stars like Nyquist and Tatar will be able to captain a team to a championship of their own.

Keep in mind when the season started, many members on this forum thought this team was a fringe playoff team at best. Some wanted to just "tank" the season for a high draft pick. Oh how quickly we forget these facts.

I disagree. The franchise as a whole has given these three players many opportunities to win championships. They should have repeated in 2009 but the Penguins had different plans. In 2013 they had a 3-1 series lead on the Hawks and lost 3 straight. There are other examples I could throw out there, but my point is that its not like they have been toiling in hell with no chance to win a cup like many other great players who retired without a championship.

All 3 are going to be retiring with at least 1 championship. I don't believe that this year or next year is a "all in" kind of season for the Wings because the health of the franchise is more important. Holland won't mortgage the future to give 3 players another crack at the cup. What he will do is give the team as a whole an opportunity to compete for a cup like he is this year. He will set the team up for future success so the next wave of stars like Nyquist and Tatar will be able to captain a team to a championship of their own.

Keep in mind when the season started, many members on this forum thought this team was a fringe playoff team at best. Some wanted to just "tank" the season for a high draft pick. Oh how quickly we forget these facts.

#croptopit