• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nightfall

Retire Sergei Fedorov’s Jersey Immediately

Rate this topic

I've worked in PR much of my adult life. I'll say this (and mea culpa I think they SHOULD retire Fedorov's number as to me he met the contributions necessary on the ice and is a first ballot HOFer) unless Ken Holland went off on a rant ie off the reservation talking point, the very fact he'd address the Red Wings organeyezation is looking into retiring Fedorov's number tells me it's more likely than not to happen. They've never really felt the need to address that issue before. They sure didn't have to offer that info now. Sure the way he left was iffy but though times were different Ted Lindsay came and went and I don't want to live in a world where his number isn't retired in one building or another.

I think it's more likely to happen than not based on Holland's comments, and I will have to change my signature again.

Edited by Jersey Wing

Despite his acrimonious departure (to some), he had quite a few phenomenal seasons in the Winged Wheel. If he'd stayed a Wing he'd be up there already. First ballot HHOF is a huge feather in the cap and speaks to the league wide respect for his on ice performance, and IMHO carries significantly more weight for the argument than if he'd taken as long as Housley to get in. I'm thinking it happens, as the Winter Classic appearance seemed to help heal some of the old wounds.

I feel like if 91 goes up, then 13 and 40 kind of have to go up.

And if they retire those, 16 will go up...

That just seems like a hole hell of a lot of numbers out of circulation.

It seems like the hall of fame inductance has really boosted Feds case. I think this solidifies #13. Not so sure about #40 yet. I hope Z ends up breaking Yzerman's franchise record for playoff goals. He needs 15 more. That would be a huge accomplishment among other things he's got going.

Edited by kickazz

Guest Playmaker

This is right up there with the speculation of what number a new player will take. The only criteria for retiring a Red Wings number is if Mike Ilitch says so. It's unfortunate for him to have played in an era with so many other legendary players. It really doesn't bother me either way. It's never enjoyable having to watch Sergei speak publicly though.

It seems like the hall of fame inductance has really boosted Feds case. I think this solidifies #13. Not so sure about #40 yet. I hope Z ends up breaking Yzerman's franchise record for playoff goals. He needs 15 more. That would be a huge accomplishment among other things he's got going.

I completely agree about it solidifying #13, and I don't see z not breaking that record, and when he does you almost have to retire #41* too...

The c on his sweater helps his case as well.

Edit.

meant #40.

But will leave this on the off chance that Disney becomes a franchise center and has his jersey in the rafters.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

This is right up there with the speculation of what number a new player will take. The only criteria for retiring a Red Wings number is if Mike Ilitch says so. It's unfortunate for him to have played in an era with so many other legendary players. It really doesn't bother me either way. It's never enjoyable having to watch Sergei speak publicly though.

Who doesn't like watching a socially awkward weirdo* try to give an interview in his second language? It's like I don't even know you anymore.

* <3 u anyway Feds

Guest Playmaker

It will only work if he wears a Speedo to the retirement ceremony. I think without Shawn Burr stories, the retirement ceremony will be lacking :(

Nice to see holland and others hopefully in the organization getting over the fact fedorov left the team ... s*** happens

If people over look the fact he left (after 13 years) you'll realize he's a sure thing (or should be at least) to get his jersey retired

One of big reasons we won those cups, without fedorov we win 1 if were lucky? 13 years as a redwing, 3 time cup winner ,hart,Selke winner

3rd all time in playoff pts and played 100 less games than number 2's lidstrom ... 5th all time in pts as a wing

simply put he's one of the best players ever to wear a redwings jersey