• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kickazz

Lovable Dan Cleary update thread

Rate this topic

So sorry to hear of your loss roboturner. I have always liked Cleary as person and as a player when he was an NHL caliber player. His comeback is a story within itself. His 13-14 signing created cap issues though and the 14-15 signing created roster spot problems. I'd be more than happy if he signed a 2 way deal that doesn't create cap hit issues and he can play in GR and mentor the up and coming Griffs.

I was also pissed off about the Quincy signing as well for 14-15 season. Obviously that signing worked out a little bit better looking back though.

I'm not going to look for the thread about the Cleary 14-15 signing but I recall a post in which somebody cancelled their season tickets because they were so pissed off about the Cleary/Quincy signings.

Edited by Vladiator

My sister passed away about 3 weeks ago from cancer.

A couple of seasons ago she had a chance to go to a Wings game.

My dad had been in contact with the Wings people and they were trying to work out who she might want to meet if she got the chance. It was up to me to ask her who she wanted to meet. Of course, we were trying to surprise her so I didn't want to just come out and say "Hey you're probably going to get to meet one of the players, who do you want to meet?"

So i would ask, "Hey Care, if you got to meet anybody on the wings who would you want to meet?"

"DAN CLEARY!" she'd exclaim.

So a couple of days later I would ask again. "DAN CLEARY!!" was the answer I got again.

She knew they were going to be going to the game when she went down to Ann Arbor, so I tried again, "No..Seriously....If you really got to meet one of the current Wings players when you go to the game, who would it be?" I could not have given her a bigger hint without flat out just telling her!

"DAN CLEARY!"

So she and my dad and uncle went to the game and had a good time. Then the game was over. As they are trying to 'leave' the building, my uncle is leading the way with directions on where to go with my dad and sister following him. She still has no idea.

They end up in an area where she figures they aren't supposed to be. "Are we allowed down this way?"

Finally they end up standing against a wall with a bunch of other people with a Wings/arena employee telling them to just wait where they are.

"Are we meeting players?!" She had finally figured it out.

While they were waiting she felt she had accidentally bumped into someone behind her. She turned to say she was sorry to them. But nothing came out of her mouth. It was Nicklas Lidstrom that she had bumped into!! (This was during his last season when he wasn't playing due to his ankle) He saw she was trying to apologize and told her it was no big deal. Other players like Pavel and Zetterberg had walked through the hallway where they were waiting.

Finally Dan Cleary came out and asked "Are you Carrie?"

I don't remember much of what else happened (I wasn't there, just heard the stories afterward), but he was super nice to her, took a couple of pictures, and signed some things.

The jersey says

"To: Carrie Best Wishes

Your friend, Dan Clear 11"

He also had a signed bobble head sent to our house a couple of weeks later.

I always teased her about wanting to meet Cleary over anybody else, but she really enjoyed the whole experience

245xy7l.jpg

Sorry for your loss, robo. Thanks for sharing that awesome story.

I am so sorry for your loss, Robo.. and really do appreciate your generosity, in sharing your sister's story with us. I am a big fan of Dan the Man Cleary -- always saw the heart and courage he brought to the ice, even if his aging body wouldn't always cooperate with his will to win.

It warms my little looo heart to know many of you also think of Dan Cleary as a great guy who loves the Wings with his entire being. I am not sure where he fits in the roster today, but hoping the Wings do the right thing for him as a person, no matter what. I have faith that they will do what is best for all concerned.

My sister passed away about 3 weeks ago from cancer.

A couple of seasons ago she had a chance to go to a Wings game.

My dad had been in contact with the Wings people and they were trying to work out who she might want to meet if she got the chance. It was up to me to ask her who she wanted to meet. Of course, we were trying to surprise her so I didn't want to just come out and say "Hey you're probably going to get to meet one of the players, who do you want to meet?"

So i would ask, "Hey Care, if you got to meet anybody on the wings who would you want to meet?"

"DAN CLEARY!" she'd exclaim.

So a couple of days later I would ask again. "DAN CLEARY!!" was the answer I got again.

She knew they were going to be going to the game when she went down to Ann Arbor, so I tried again, "No..Seriously....If you really got to meet one of the current Wings players when you go to the game, who would it be?" I could not have given her a bigger hint without flat out just telling her!

"DAN CLEARY!"

So she and my dad and uncle went to the game and had a good time. Then the game was over. As they are trying to 'leave' the building, my uncle is leading the way with directions on where to go with my dad and sister following him. She still has no idea.

They end up in an area where she figures they aren't supposed to be. "Are we allowed down this way?"

Finally they end up standing against a wall with a bunch of other people with a Wings/arena employee telling them to just wait where they are.

"Are we meeting players?!" She had finally figured it out.

While they were waiting she felt she had accidentally bumped into someone behind her. She turned to say she was sorry to them. But nothing came out of her mouth. It was Nicklas Lidstrom that she had bumped into!! (This was during his last season when he wasn't playing due to his ankle) He saw she was trying to apologize and told her it was no big deal. Other players like Pavel and Zetterberg had walked through the hallway where they were waiting.

Finally Dan Cleary came out and asked "Are you Carrie?"

I don't remember much of what else happened (I wasn't there, just heard the stories afterward), but he was super nice to her, took a couple of pictures, and signed some things.

The jersey says

"To: Carrie Best Wishes

Your friend, Dan Clear 11"

He also had a signed bobble head sent to our house a couple of weeks later.

I always teased her about wanting to meet Cleary over anybody else, but she really enjoyed the whole experience

245xy7l.jpg

Hey buddy i also lost my sister very young to a tumor she had. I know what your going through and i know its tough but things will get better. BEst wishes!

Gretz gets it:

When talking about the transition in coaching...

"On one hand, it's difficult to argue with the Red Wings' success when it comes to player development, especially recently where the farm system has produced some really promising players, from Nyquist to Tatar to Riley Sheahan to Teemu Pulkkinen. But the Red Wings have also sometimes been extremely slow at promoting these players and giving them an opportunity in the NHL. The best example: keeping Dan Cleary on the 2013-14 roster at the start of the season and burying Nyquist in the AHL even though he had shown that he was already too good for that level and ready for the next step. Since Nyquist was recalled he has been one of the Red Wings' most productive players.

It's one thing when it's 2007-08 and the team has the most stacked roster in the league and jobs are hard to come by. It's quite another when the 2014 version of Dan Cleary is getting a preferred spot on the roster while younger players are banging on the door deserving of an opportunity. In a salary cap sport, and especially on a team that is as close to the cap as the Red Wings are with so many big-money players, you just cannot waste prime years of a top prospect like that. If there was a reason to be critical of Babcock's time in Detroit, especially in recent years, this might have been it."

None of us will probably ever know how much it was Babs or Kenny, but we all know it hurt.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25245736/how-will-the-detroit-red-wings-look-in-the-post-mike-babcock-era

Gretz gets it:

When talking about the transition in coaching...

"On one hand, it's difficult to argue with the Red Wings' success when it comes to player development, especially recently where the farm system has produced some really promising players, from Nyquist to Tatar to Riley Sheahan to Teemu Pulkkinen. But the Red Wings have also sometimes been extremely slow at promoting these players and giving them an opportunity in the NHL. The best example: keeping Dan Cleary on the 2013-14 roster at the start of the season and burying Nyquist in the AHL even though he had shown that he was already too good for that level and ready for the next step. Since Nyquist was recalled he has been one of the Red Wings' most productive players.

It's one thing when it's 2007-08 and the team has the most stacked roster in the league and jobs are hard to come by. It's quite another when the 2014 version of Dan Cleary is getting a preferred spot on the roster while younger players are banging on the door deserving of an opportunity. In a salary cap sport, and especially on a team that is as close to the cap as the Red Wings are with so many big-money players, you just cannot waste prime years of a top prospect like that. If there was a reason to be critical of Babcock's time in Detroit, especially in recent years, this might have been it."

None of us will probably ever know how much it was Babs or Kenny, but we all know it hurt.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25245736/how-will-the-detroit-red-wings-look-in-the-post-mike-babcock-era

Good example of post-hoc analysis, and largely inaccurate.

Nyquist being buried had more to do with signing Weiss and Alfie than Cleary. Plus being unable to dump Sammy. But regardless, we didn't "waste prime years". We wasted 22 games of a player who had 4 goals and 13 points in 40 games (plus 2-5 in 18 playoff games) at that point.

And it's debatable if it hurt or not. Doesn't look like Nyquist has suffered at all for it. At the time he was called up, we were 9-6-7 (though we started off 9-4-2 before hitting a stretch where we couldn't finish anyone), pretty much identical point% we finished the season with. Sure, maybe we'd have earned a few more points in those games, then not had to play Boston, and made it to the 2nd round or farther... Or maybe that little extra time in GR was the motivation he needed to do so well that year.

Plus you could counter the argument and say maybe we called up Jurco TOO early and should have kept him in AHL an extra year because look at his perfomance last year. He came into the roster at much young age than Nyquist and TAtar and his nunbers were disappointing.

Just playing devils advocate.

Agree with you both, Buppy and kickazz. If there is one thing that shouldn't be in question about the Detroit Red Wings, it's the way they develop their players. For the most part, after being drafted, most of these kids need a year or two in juniors / college / over seas to prepare themselves for the pro game. Then they need another year or two... or three in the minors to prepare themselves for the NHL game. Especially when it comes to later round draft picks, I think 4 - 5 years after being drafted is a pretty good timeline...

I definitely don't believe that Nyquist was kept down in Grand Rapids too long, he only benefitted from spending so much time developing his game down there. That Calder Cup Championship probably didn't hurt him much either... I also think Jurco should have spent another year or two down in Grand Rapids. He would have benefitted greatly from some more time developing his game, dominating competition and gaining confidence. Instead he was thrown into the NHL too early, struggled to put up points, was given little ice time (compared to what he would have gotten in the minors) and found himself sitting out some games. I think Jurco will be fine, and getting his old coach back should definitely help his game going forward.

I agree with Gretzky, Nyquist should have started that season in Detroit, also I agree last season, Jurco should've spent the year in GR, considering he had the exemption, he would've developed a little more to the NA game. Not that he would've been a big hit here, but we would have never lost Nestrasil for nothing. Sure, the log jam this year would've been a body larger, but who knows...I know he wasn't a huge loss, but you guys know my disgust with losing someone or nothing.

ALTHOUGH, after Nyquist was called up he was the hottest scorer in the league practically, could you imagine the contract he'd have now (as opposed to $4.75M) if he had played that entire season and scored at that pace for 65-82 games?

Edited by LeftWinger

I agree with Gretzky, Nyquist should have started that season in Detroit, also I agree last season, Jurco should've spent the year in GR, considering he had the exemption, he would've developed a little more to the NA game. Not that he would've been a big hit here, but we would have never lost Nestrasil for nothing. Sure, the log jam this year would've been a body larger, but who knows...I know he wasn't a huge loss, but you guys know my disgust with losing someone or nothing.

ALTHOUGH, after Nyquist was called up he was the hottest scorer in the league practically, could you imagine the contract he'd have now (as opposed to $4.75M) if he had played that entire season and scored at that pace for 65-82 games?

I don't think you'd shed any tears if the team lost Franzen for nothing.

No Flashy, if it were Franzen who were claimed off waivers, I would not shed a tear, until he retired and it hit our cap hard...that is why I am conceiving that we are stuck with this guy until the very end, or LTIR...

Edited by LeftWinger

No Flashy, if it were Franzen who were claimed off waivers, I would not shed a tear, until he retired and it hit our cap hard...that is why I am conceiving that we are stuck with this guy until the very end, or LTIR...

Not disputing this in any way, but what is the exact rule on that? If we trade Franzen while healthy and then he retires 2 years from now, we get penalized? Is it because of the length of his contract?

Not disputing this in any way, but what is the exact rule on that? If we trade Franzen while healthy and then he retires 2 years from now, we get penalized? Is it because of the length of his contract?

Because the NHL is retroactively punishing teams for front loaded contracts with low salary years at the end which were perfectly legal when they were signed, if a player with that type of deal retires then any team that paid more in salary than the cap hit has a penalty added onto the remaining years of that contract. If Franzen retires, the Wings have around $3 million in penalties each year that run through the 19-20 season.

Adam Gretz. Hockey writer.

I've posted it before, but this is a really good break down of the cap recapture penalties courtesy of WiiM:

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2013/1/8/3850352/nhl-cba-the-luongo-rule-cap-hit-recapture-what-it-means-for-the-red