• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

captain2005

Goalie Battle

Rate this topic

Also this works perfectly for us anyway. Mrazek is no way worth as much $$ as he was in January. A somewhat "cheaper" Mrazek plus with moving Howard will definitely help our salary cap.

So I can't complain about Mrazek sucking and Howard stepping in. It actually helps Ken Holland.

Edited by kickazz

I agree with one of the posts above that as bad as Mrazek has been, Howard hasn't been the epitome of consistancy throughout his career. Blash should play Howard cause he has been better lately, but I expect a bad performance from him eventually. That's his M.O. Maybe he does turn into the Mrazek of early this year, but I doubt it. We shall see I guess.

This is what I wanted to address yesterday. If Petr hasn't been playing well wouldn't it make sense, or is it possible, to send him down for conditioning to GR and bring up Coreau maybe as a backup and leave Jimmy (Howard) as the starter for now. There's no denying he's been solid lately and I'd rather give Petr some time and get his mojo back.

No, he has to have been sitting awhile and then agree to it.

No, he has to have been sitting awhile and then agree to it.

you mean for him to be sent down for conditioning he has to agree to it? Ohh, ok. really didn't know how that works. I guess that mostly happens when they get injured and need to get back in shape right?

you mean for him to be sent down for conditioning he has to agree to it? Ohh, ok. really didn't know how that works. I guess that mostly happens when they get injured and need to get back in shape right?

Yeah, otherwise it could be used just to keep shuffling players back and forth

This team has a lot of weird quirks like Howard I am confident can keep the game tight but more likely to blow it late and it's the opposite for Mrazek

Yep.

But I'd rather us be leading and somehow be at risk of losing in the 3rd than be losing 4-0 after the 1st period. Know what I'm sayin?

I wonder what Jim Bedard is thinking.

Both his goalies have hit the biggest bumps imaginable. Does any responsibility fall on the goalie coach?

Bedard is probably thinking:

"I have these 2 biatches who can play but are f*cked up in different parts of a game and have different mental problems. How about we start Jimmy the first two periods and finish off with Mrazek. How much worse could it get if we'd try that. We gotta make the playoffs, this is my best bet."

Edited by Jacksoni

20 bucks says they won't trade Howard in the offseason.

Who knows. He might be kept for one more season if cap allows. Mrazek's performance has dropped off, but all goalies have a rough patch. There's no doubting his capability to be one of the top goalies in the league, and he's only 24. He's going to get a nice raise. Even Holland isn't that dumb to risk him walking when his contract is up. Coreau is knocking on the door as well. I don't think Howard has much time left with the Wings honestly. Just how things go.

Who knows. He might be kept for one more season if cap allows. Mrazek's performance has dropped off, but all goalies have a rough patch. There's no doubting his capability to be one of the top goalies in the league, and he's only 24. He's going to get a nice raise. Even Holland isn't that dumb to risk him walking when his contract is up. Coreau is knocking on the door as well. I don't think Howard has much time left with the Wings honestly. Just how things go.

Or Mrazek joins the long list of young hotshot can't miss goalies who missed and Howard continues to be an up and down starter.

We got our moneys worth out of Howard last night vs Toronto. I thought it was his best game of the season. Excellent positioning. Made things look easy just as Price does on a regular basis when he's healthy.

If he can sustain I say we ride him all 3 remaining games.

Btw, something tells me the Flyers are gonna crash our goalie a little bit very early on in the upcoming game too shake things up at the Joe where we have been strong(er) lately. Guess we'll see.

Edited by Jacksoni

We got our moneys worth out of Howard last night vs Toronto. I thought it was his best game of the season. Excellent positioning. Made things look easy just as Price does on a regular basis when he's healthy.

If he can sustain I say we ride him all 3 remaining games.

Btw, something tells me the Flyers are gonna crash our goalie a little bit very early on in the upcoming game too shake things up at the Joe where we have been strong(er) lately. Guess we'll see.

Howard (when on his game) is a very solid starter and it's nice to see more and more people finally admitting that. Yes, Mrazek was better in the first half of the sason but second half it's easily Howard and he should be the starter going forward.

Howard had been better the last month, not 2nd half Petr's Jan-Feb was NHL elite, dare I say Vezina, Dom Hasek-type numbers... He hit a wall and Howard has come up good enough to help us to where we stand. But he has been nowhere near what Mrazek was for a few months.

He's played good, don't get me wrong.

Howard (when on his game) is a very solid starter and it's nice to see more and more people finally admitting that. Yes, Mrazek was better in the first half of the sason but second half it's easily Howard and he should be the starter going forward.

No, he started having problems after his 24th birthday with is Feburary 14th, hardly half the season

Or Mrazek joins the long list of young hotshot can't miss goalies who missed and Howard continues to be an up and down starter.

Maybe, but I don't see it. Mrazek just has too much natural skill and confidence to play bad for a very long stretch. He's still developing as well and I think people forget that. He's in his first full NHL season, is the reason the Wings are even sniffing a playoff spot. He has a few bad games and all of a sudden people doubt his abilities and want to hang on to Howard after he plays a few good games when just a month or so ago many wanted him gone. I have nothing against the guy and I hope he can stay on track and get the Wings into the playoffs, but he's 13-12-5 with a 2.81 GAA and .906 Save%. Those are bad numbers for a backup, nevermind a $5 million a year "starter". I'm tired of wondering which Jimmy Howard will show up everytime he plays year after year.

Maybe, but I don't see it. Mrazek just has too much natural skill and confidence to play bad for a very long stretch. He's still developing as well and I think people forget that. He's in his first full NHL season, is the reason the Wings are even sniffing a playoff spot. He has a few bad games and all of a sudden people doubt his abilities and want to hang on to Howard after he plays a few good games when just a month or so ago many wanted him gone. I have nothing against the guy and I hope he can stay on track and get the Wings into the playoffs, but he's 13-12-5 with a 2.81 GAA and .906 Save%. Those are bad numbers for a backup, nevermind a $5 million a year "starter". I'm tired of wondering which Jimmy Howard will show up everytime he plays year after year.

6 weeks of bad hockey is more than a few bad games.

6 weeks of bad hockey is more than a few bad games.

Hasn't been 6 weeks. A few bad games. And most of the bad games, for both goalies, have been equally bad or worse defense.

All goalies have bad games, and games where the defense makes them look bad. Mrazek has had less than most, and comparable to the top goalies this year.

Hasn't been 6 weeks. A few bad games. And most of the bad games, for both goalies, have been equally bad or worse defense.

All goalies have bad games, and games where the defense makes them look bad. Mrazek has had less than most, and comparable to the top goalies this year.

Mid February through the first part of April. Check the calendar, that's 6 weeks. Closer to 7 now. 15 games, pulled in 5 of them, 13 games with a save % .92 or less.

That's more than a few games.

Mid February through the first part of April. Check the calendar, that's 6 weeks. Closer to 7 now. 15 games, pulled in 5 of them, 13 games with a save % .92 or less.

That's more than a few games.

Ok but far better than Howard was during his 3 month stretch of not winning a single game. How has Howard easily been the best goalie the 2nd half? Howard wasn't exactly stellar in the month of March just like mrazek. Howard only looked good the last 2 games. Mrazek is better than Howard no question.