Roster Moves by the Wings

Rate this topic

Eberle - 25

Hall - 23

Yakupov - 22

Nugent Hopkins - 21

McDavid - 18

Schulz - 25

They are going to get the 1st overall next year, as well.

In 2 to 3 years, this team is going to be a powerhouse.

in 2to3 years, they're going to lose half of them when they have to re-sign their team.

And they still won't have a good #1defenseman.

We have to sit Smith when DK is back. He's clearly the worst D-Man out there.

It's time to waive Andersson when Helm is back...

When Pavs is back???

larkin and Jurco can both be sent down without risking them to waivers. I expect that to happen or a trade. No need to give away players for free atm. Chances are good others will be hurt before these choices need to be made.

Jurco would have to clear waivers.

Yup and he along with miller like someone above suggested would get claimed

Guessing Andersson and Ferraro would be next 2 guys we'd be getting rid of to make space?

Anyone know if the clearly situation is getting in the way? Guessing not cause he refused to go down .. Anyone heard if he's retiring? Wtf's he doing refusing to go down and telling holland he's sitting on the stands all year collecting money? Lol

Guessing Andersson and Ferraro would be next 2 guys we'd be getting rid of to make space?

Yup, I'd say so, on the forward side. Or perhaps Jurco. It could happen soon. Lots of variables.

Anyone know if the clearly situation is getting in the way? Guessing not cause he refused to go down .. Anyone heard if he's retiring? Wtf's he doing refusing to go down and telling holland he's sitting on the stands all year collecting money? Lol

Cleary's situation effects no one. He's just not playing. We don't even know if he'll get paid since he's not playing. I think it would have to be a guaranteed contract for that to be the case. Maybe this misunderstanding accounts for the hatred thrown at Cleary in the other thread. He's probably weighing options (KHL, retirement, office gig, etc) before he announces plans.

Andy and Ferarro are the first men out with returning players. People are complaining about the forward logjam, but there were a number of uncertain things that make it make sense: The organization didn't know that Larkin would be on the team or that he would be able stay there (we still don't really, though it looks really good). Franzen's uncertain situation also means that we shouldn't count on him being there. Pulkkinen and Jurco were also sort of question marks about how much they would bring to the table. Also, it is just good depth and recent years have shown how important that is.

Jurco scored 3 goals last year in over 60 games. What makes you so sure he'd get claimed?

I'd prefer to see Kindl in over Smith, but I'm biased - I've never been a big fan of Smith.

If I'm being as objective as I can, I don't think having one play over the other will make that big of a difference. I think Kindl's done a good job getting back to break up plays, and I think Smith's provided an edge that Kindl doesn't. Both of them still make bone-headed decisions with the puck/have a difficult time getting the puck out of the defensive zone. I'm just happy DeKeyser's coming back ahead of schedule.

I'm serious. I dont think he's one of our 12 best forwards. I guess that's not a popular opinion around here, but that's how I see it.

I can't speak for anybody else, but here's the problem I have with your thought. Of course Athansiou is better than Miller. But he's not better for the role. By which I mean that to be a good fourth liner you need to play defense, kill penalties, block shots, agitate, hit, etc.

Athansiou is our future second line center. I don't want him blocking shots in the NHL. I want him learning how to take over a game offensively in the AHL. I don't care if he ever blocks a shot, or kills a penalty. In fact I hope he doesn't. I don't want him to get hurt. His potential is too good, and his future too bright, to have him toiling away on the fourth line just to say "well he is in the NHL at least...

Nobody would argue that he isn't better than Miller. He is. But you don't need a thoroughbred to do donkey's work. You need a donkey. And Miller is a cheap, effective, donkey

Edited by kipwinger

I can't speak for anybody else, but here's the problem I have with your thought. Of course Athansiou is better than Miller. But he's not better for the role. By which I mean that to be a good fourth liner you need to play defense, kill penalties, block shots, agitate, hit, etc.

Athansiou is our future second line center. I don't want him blocking shots in the NHL. I want him learning how to take over a game offensively in the AHL. I don't care if he ever blocks a shot, or kills a penalty. In fact I hope he doesn't. I don't want him to get hurt. His potential is too good, and his future too bright, to have him toiling away on the fourth line just to say "well he is in the NHL at least...

Nobody would argue that he isn't better than Miller. He is. But you don't need a thoroughbred to do donkey's work. You need a donkey. And Miller is a cheap, effective, donkey

I get what you are saying, but Datsyuk and Zetterberg were 2 of our best, if not the 2 best, penalty killers on our team for years. So I will partially agree with you. Let the donkey get beat up 60 games a season. But come March, you want your thoroughbreds in there if you have them. Speed kills on the pk. Helm, Athanasiou, Larkin, and Glendening are going to be the top 4 upfront guys on the pk. I don't want any of these guys getting hit in the face with a puck, but I do want them out there to disrupt the opposing team's pp. Lastly, when is this 2nd line center position for Athanasiou going to open up? Maybe Never. Svechnikov, Larkin, Nosek, Sheahan, Glendening, Helm, Zetterberg, Datsyuk. The Wings are absolutely LOADED down the middle. Move Athanasiou and Helm to the 2 wings of Glendening and have an absolute killer 4th line. Pure speed.

does anyone still want jurco? he was playing on the 2nd line last game and was invisible. 100 games in the nhl now and isnt doing much only 11 goals. glendenning has more goals in id be really pissed if they decided to send larkin down to keep jurco.

I do. Through Justin Abdelkader first 126 NHL games he had 10 goals. Now he's playing a top line power forward role. Jurco is learning how to be that and I don't think he's doing a terrible job, especially considering before he got to the NHL he never had to be a power forward. It's a process. He's learning. He'll be fine. When he gets to be Abdelkaders age he will be better than Abdelkader is right now. Bank on it.

I get what you are saying, but Datsyuk and Zetterberg were 2 of our best, if not the 2 best, penalty killers on our team for years. So I will partially agree with you. Let the donkey get beat up 60 games a season. But come March, you want your thoroughbreds in there if you have them. Speed kills on the pk. Helm, Athanasiou, Larkin, and Glendening are going to be the top 4 upfront guys on the pk. I don't want any of these guys getting hit in the face with a puck, but I do want them out there to disrupt the opposing team's pp. Lastly, when is this 2nd line center position for Athanasiou going to open up? Maybe Never. Svechnikov, Larkin, Nosek, Sheahan, Glendening, Helm, Zetterberg, Datsyuk. The Wings are absolutely LOADED down the middle. Move Athanasiou and Helm to the 2 wings of Glendening and have an absolute killer 4th line. Pure speed.

Speed is not that important on the PK. Good first-step acceleration is, and most fast guys have that, but I'd say even that ranks behind good instincts, awareness, tenaciousness, good stick work, and bravery.

AA from all I've heard is just decent defensively, improving but not what he's known for. I might be wrong but I don't think he's even a primary PKer in GR. He'll probably have to start out on the wing, especially if he's up next year which seems rather likely. Probably moves back to center after a couple years if Datsyuk is gone and Zetterberg has declined further. His upside seems to be higher than Sheahan, though I could see Sheahan at #2 with AA #3 at first. Helm has already been switched to wing and probably isn't going back except for injuries. Svech is a winger, might be converted to center but we'll see. Nosek is below AA, probably won't be room for him in Detroit. He's supposedly a good defensive center, more notably two-way than AA from what I've read at least. Could make a good 4th-liner, but more likely I think is he'll be the guy nyquististhefuture will be bitching about us losing in a couple years.

Speed is not that important on the PK. Good first-step acceleration is, and most fast guys have that, but I'd say even that ranks behind good instincts, awareness, tenaciousness, good stick work, and bravery.

AA from all I've heard is just decent defensively, improving but not what he's known for. I might be wrong but I don't think he's even a primary PKer in GR. He'll probably have to start out on the wing, especially if he's up next year which seems rather likely. Probably moves back to center after a couple years if Datsyuk is gone and Zetterberg has declined further. His upside seems to be higher than Sheahan, though I could see Sheahan at #2 with AA #3 at first. Helm has already been switched to wing and probably isn't going back except for injuries. Svech is a winger, might be converted to center but we'll see. Nosek is below AA, probably won't be room for him in Detroit. He's supposedly a good defensive center, more notably two-way than AA from what I've read at least. Could make a good 4th-liner, but more likely I think is he'll be the guy nyquististhefuture will be bitching about us losing in a couple years.

I disagree with you on the speed pk part, but like the rest of your post.

Well, if BOTH Helm and DD are going to be healthy this weekend, its time for big time decisions! Do you go the safe route and demote the guy with waiver options or do you demote one of Andersson or Ferraro and expose them to waivers. I can see it being Andersson being waived over Larkin going to GR, that is all but obvious. Then where do you put Helm? 4th line? Who goes to the pressbox? Jurco or Ferraro? More than likely Marchenko will be demoted since he has waiver exemptions and he hasn't played yet. But he has said he doesn't want to go back to the AHL and may consider KHL ( I think I heard that somewhere.)

This is going to get interesting!