• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Richdg

Fixing this mess....

Rate this topic

Dickie, Nyquist and Tatar are quality secondary players whether you want to admit it or not. Their advanced stats are very good for what is expected of them and they provide offense. They production has dipped a little but I think that's more to do with the rest of the team than them individually... I'm not that high on Pulkkinen but he certainly hasn't peaked, and he still has room to grow as a player. I don't think it's fair to say "he is what he is" before he's even been given a chance... Jurco will be fine. Everything else I agree with. The vets shouldn't be leaned on near as much as they have been and the kids should get more ice time. There is no reason Athanasiou and Mantha should both be scratched for entire third periods...

Dickie, Nyquist and Tatar are quality secondary players whether you want to admit it or not. Their advanced stats are very good for what is expected of them and they provide offense. They production has dipped a little but I think that's more to do with the rest of the team than them individually... I'm not that high on Pulkkinen but he certainly hasn't peaked, and he still has room to grow as a player. I don't think it's fair to say "he is what he is" before he's even been given a chance... Jurco will be fine. Everything else I agree with. The vets shouldn't be leaned on near as much as they have been and the kids should get more ice time. There is no reason Athanasiou and Mantha should both be scratched for entire third periods...

Agreed. Nyquist has 28 EVP his season. Last season? 30. The power play has hurt him, big time.

As far as Tatar is concerned, his shot totals from 2014-15 to 2015-16 are down from 211 to 152. I'd wager that having your playing time trimmed down by nearly two minutes might have that effect, though.

Not making excuses for either guy, but it's not really fair to place the blame on them as individuals.

Edited by Jesusberg

I was at Puck Talks Live http://www.homestandsports.com/homestandlive/2016/3/23/puck-talks-toronto in Toronto last week. They were talking about Stamkos. Chris Johnson from Sportsnet thinks Stamkos is going to sign with the Wings. It was funny, about a 1/3 or the room when he said it, myself included, cheered :)

I would take that bet. 99% it is either TB or Tor.

I was at Puck Talks Live http://www.homestandsports.com/homestandlive/2016/3/23/puck-talks-toronto in Toronto last week. They were talking about Stamkos. Chris Johnson from Sportsnet thinks Stamkos is going to sign with the Wings. It was funny, about a 1/3 or the room when he said it, myself included, cheered :)

Well that would certainly help to step in the right direction...add Yandle on the back end and we're looking good. But must cut salary first...even if we land Stamkos, we cannot go forward with the same defense, just minus KFQ. We MUST cut some fat on the back end...

Fixing this mess starts with AA and Mantha both getting (and staying) top 6 minutes and line mates...add and subtract from there.

I'm telling you, AA-Dats-Mantha would be a lights out line...

Edited by LeftWinger

If Holland can move some salary, Stamkos to the Wings makes sense to me. We have a lot of pieces in place, and why wouldn't Stamkos want to play on the same line with Larkin? Plus Detroit is close to Toronto, so his family can come see him play. If missing the playoffs means a top 10 draft pick and Stamkos, I'm on board.

I haven't been listening to any rumors, so if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I have a hard time thinking Stamkos wants to play for the Leafs.

Marchenko in for Smith... That should do it

Anybody think Blashill has actually done a good job this year?

I think Blashill has done just fine for his first year on a team with declining talent. babcock-the best coach in hockey, barely got us in the last few years. Since Blashill isn't Babcock that means he is a lesser coach and we are having a lesser result.

There are alwasy thing sgoing on behind the scenes we don't see. Effort in practice, phone calls from the GM/owner, injuries, etc...

I like Blashill, and think he's done a decent job this season, his assistants on the other hand, not so much. I like that Blash is more of an offensive minded coach, but unfortunately we just don't have the personnel right now. In the next couple years, or maybe even next year, we should be in much better shape. I do however, hate a lot of his lineup decisions and the fact that he relies too much on the vets and not enough on the kids. And also how the vets are immune to being scratched. There is no way that Smith should be scratched over Ericsson or even Kronwall, and Jurco should be in the lineup every game over a couple players as well... Overall, I'd probably give him a C+ / B-...

I don't understand why Stamkos would sign here. If he wants to win TB has a better present and future than we do (and most teams). If he wants popularity and money it's Toronto. If he wants something in between there's plenty of other places. Was he a big Sergei/Wing fan growing up? I'm not complaining, I'm just not giving my hopes up.

Edited by Number19

I like Blashill, and think he's done a decent job this season, his assistants on the other hand, not so much. I like that Blash is more of an offensive minded coach, but unfortunately we just don't have the personnel right now. In the next couple years, or maybe even next year, we should be in much better shape. I do however, hate a lot of his lineup decisions and the fact that he relies too much on the vets and not enough on the kids. And also how the vets are immune to being scratched. There is no way that Smith should be scratched over Ericsson or even Kronwall, and Jurco should be in the lineup every game over a couple players as well... Overall, I'd probably give him a C+ / B-...

I agree that Smith isn't the guy to remove for Marchenko. IMO, he's comparable to Ericsson, Quincey and to a lesser extent DeKeyser. Ericsson and Quincey have both been messes lately in terms of turnovers, defensive lapses, etc. If anything, I'd take one of those two out over Smith. I don't think I'd scratch Kronwall at this point, though I do think his knee is much worse than he's letting on, and that a week wasn't enough time for him to recover properly.

At one point, I might've agreed with Jurco being in the lineup, but I think he's been passed by Athanasiou and Mantha at this point. If I'm using the same justification for removing Ericsson/Quincey from the lineup for Marchenko, who draws out for Jurco? I don't think he's a fourth-line guy, so who does he replace in the top-nine group?

Edited by Jesusberg

Does anyone think that Stamkos figures there's is a possibility that Stevie could end up back in Detroit as our GM at some point (soon??)? If so, how do you think this would effect any decision on where to play in the future? Will he not want to potentially play under Stevie again?

He'll have a lot of options...so I'm wondering if this could be one of those slight factors that takes the Wings off the table for him.

Since KFQ is a UFA bench him and play Marchenko. Build for next eyar and so on. Unless KFQ is our big UFA signing.......again.......

I agree that Smith isn't the guy to remove for Marchenko. IMO, he's comparable to Ericsson, Quincey and to a lesser extent DeKeyser. Ericsson and Quincey have both been messes lately in terms of turnovers, defensive lapses, etc. If anything, I'd take one of those two out over Smith. I don't think I'd scratch Kronwall at this point, though I do think his knee is much worse than he's letting on, and that a week wasn't enough time for him to recover properly.

At one point, I might've agreed with Jurco being in the lineup, but I think he's been passed by Athanasiou and Mantha at this point. If I'm using the same justification for removing Ericsson/Quincey from the lineup for Marchenko, who draws out for Jurco? I don't think he's a fourth-line guy, so who does he replace in the top-nine group?

Its pretty simple.

Z-Datsyuk-Abby

Mantha-Larkin-Tatar

Jurco-AA-Nyquist

Helm-Sheahan-Glendening

let richards a UFA sit with Pulks.

BTW some end of season stuff. If the RW's miss the PO's everyone that can go to GR for the PO's will go down. That includes Larkin. if they make it then all go down when the run is done, but Larkin is going to be rested. This came from inside the Griffins front office.

Since KFQ is a UFA bench him and play Marchenko. Build for next eyar and so on. Unless KFQ is our big UFA signing.......again.......

Its pretty simple.

Z-Datsyuk-Abby

Mantha-Larkin-Tatar

Jurco-AA-Nyquist

Helm-Sheahan-Glendening

let richards a UFA sit with Pulks.

BTW some end of season stuff. If the RW's miss the PO's everyone that can go to GR for the PO's will go down. That includes Larkin. if they make it then all go down when the run is done, but Larkin is going to be rested. This came from inside the Griffins front office.

I'm not sure it's all that simple. When that top line was together, Blashill was leaning on them way too hard, playing them over 20+ minutes a night. Larkin and Athanasiou haven't seen regular time at center all season - both need to work on their faceoffs. Helm and Richards have both scored, or been involved in clutch/game-winning goals recently. Clearly this team needs help, but I don't think shifting everyone around to fit in a guy who hasn't played in two weeks is going to fix much.

Jesusberg, as I've said in other threads, I'd sit one of Glendening or Richards. I'd go with...

Larkin - Datsyuk - Mantha

Nyquist - Zetterberg - Abdelkader

Tatar - Athanasiou - Jurco

Sheahan - Richards / Glendening - Helm

Rich, where did you see / hear this? Link? I don't believe for a second that Larkin would play in the Calder Cup playoffs...

:lol: The way the Leafs handled Detroit last game, maybe he will choose them over us!

I just have a hard time believing he would come here either. I like the rumors, and its nice hearing it from some hockey guys, but I do remember the rumor Suter had a verbal agreement pending the OK from his boss (wife) and we see how that turned out...

Jesusberg, as I've said in other threads, I'd sit one of Glendening or Richards. I'd go with...

Larkin - Datsyuk - Mantha

Nyquist - Zetterberg - Abdelkader

Tatar - Athanasiou - Jurco

Sheahan - Richards / Glendening - Helm

Rich, where did you see / hear this? Link? I don't believe for a second that Larkin would play in the Calder Cup playoffs...

That came from a person I know in the front office of the Griffins. Not going to name the name here. But if the RW's miss the PO's the Griffins expect Larkin to be sent down to help them. There is more to it than wishful thinking on the Griffins part. Now that was the plan as of the 1st of March. Things can/will happen during a season.

I'm not sure it's all that simple. When that top line was together, Blashill was leaning on them way too hard, playing them over 20+ minutes a night. Larkin and Athanasiou haven't seen regular time at center all season - both need to work on their faceoffs. Helm and Richards have both scored, or been involved in clutch/game-winning goals recently. Clearly this team needs help, but I don't think shifting everyone around to fit in a guy who hasn't played in two weeks is going to fix much.

The only way Larkin and AA are going to become top level C's at the NHL level is to play C. Make their mistakes, take their lumps, and learn/grow from it. C is their future and they are our future. The future needs to be now!

I'm not saying what you're saying is bulls***, or that whoever told you is full of s***, but I'd be shocked to see Larkin ever play another game for the Griffins again. He just went from playing 35ish games a season in college to 82 games in the NHL. There is absolutely some mental and physical wear on him, and it's shown over this last stretch. If the Wings' season ends earlier than we hope, I expect Larkin to take the summer getting refueled and focus on the season with the Wings, not helping the Griffins win the Calder Cup...

the $75M question is, IF Stamkos comes here does he get to wear #91?

No.

They'll retire Fedorov's jersey. They've hinted at it way too many times now. And the way Fedorov gave Detroit 120% of the credit for his career in his hall of fame reception - I think he's sucked up to the org enough to get it. Not to mention the one liner he threw in his interview when they asked him "So you still come to Detroit?" and his response was "I never left home - I just work far away (in russia)".

I'm sure Mike Illitch is soon to get over it like most of us did (I got over it last year).

---

But beyond all that the odds of Stamkos coming here......... yea..

Edited by kickazz

...ok, ok, I know I said I wasn't going to re-hash the Yakupov thing, but....

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nail-yakupov-s-agent-says-client-needs--fresh-start--190221267.html

definite conection with Larionov being his agent, PLUS everything Igor says in the article points directly to him having Datsyuk as his ideal center...at least those are the lines I read between! :lol:

“He needs to be guided by a skilled center so that’s very important to a young player to play with somebody who can deliver the puck and use his strengths,” Larionov said.

“I’m trying to help this young man to be in the right place and the right players for the last four years,” Larionov said. “He loves the city of Edmonton and loves the fans and obviously he would like to stay there but at some point he would like a fresh start and some fresh air to go on.”

Larionov was asked if the relationship between the Oilers and Yakupov could be salvaged.

“He loves to be there. He likes to train, he likes to be in the city. He likes to go in the different places, he likes to spend time with the kids in Edmonton with charity work in the city,” Larionov said. “He likes to be there. But I want him to be appreciated with what he’s been doing. That’s my point. For him, and he would like to stay there for many, many years. That was the goal for him – to stay. “

Yakupov to Detroit at draft? He needs fresh air and we need fresh breath! :lol:

...and for the record, I want #91 in the rafters. I was never mad at him for leaving, he has and always will be my favorite player.

Edited by LeftWinger