• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Red Wings re-sign Riley Sheahan: 2-years, $4.15m

Rate this topic

Pretty much how I feel as well. Sheahan walked away the winner today, but I do think he has all the tools and potential for it to be a very good deal for both sides. I don't think he "deserved" double the salary based on his numbers, but I think (hope) he will have a breakout year this year and earn this contract...

His games played and goals increased while his penalty minutes went down. Sure, his assists total took a major hit, but that can't be placed entirely on him. If he put someone in a position to score and they didn't isn't in his control. If he continues to progress and has a couple seasons with 15-20 goals and 25-35 assists it will be a great deal.

Overpaid. I like Sheahan but not this much. Breakout year was supposed to be last year, but it wasn't and somehow his salary doubled. Gets a lot of PP time too. Oh well.

Imagine what DK and Mrazek are about to get paid. Say byebye to Helm..?

Edited by kickazz

Yeah, my biggest qualm with this contract is that there is one thing Holland has been GREAT at, and that's re-signing his RFA's to low cap-friendly contracts. This one seems a little high to me. Hopefully it's a blip and not a sign of things to come with Pulkkinen, DeKeyser, Marchenko and Mrazek...

Yeah, my biggest qualm with this contract is that there is one thing Holland has been GREAT at, and that's re-signing his RFA's to low cap-friendly contracts. This one seems a little high to me. Hopefully it's a blip and not a sign of things to come with Pulkkinen, DeKeyser, Marchenko and Mrazek...

I think he has done a lot more "signing em at a little higher than their value than have the contract turn into a steal" type contracts than signing em for cheap right from the get go. I feel this deal is a lot more in line with what he has done in the past, except with a much shorter term.

Overpaid, agreed. With that said, he showed glimpses late in the season that he does have another level. If he evolves to that level, with his size and hands, we got ourselves a winner. I.e. the price justifies it.

Other attributes he has that I really crave to see now when he's getting paid this much is:

*his Nasty shot. Probably shoots hardest on the team.

*Excellent defensive capabilities. I would like him see shutdown a 2nd line center on the top teams.

I am predicting Sheahan will be our second line center next season.

DeKeyser and Mrazek should receive large raises since they aren't expected to receive bridge deals. I could see Marchenko getting 2 years at 1.25-1.5 AAV. Pulkinnen has no leverage and hasn't proven anything. He'll be lucky to get an AAV of $800k.

The problem ain't Sheahan. I was hoping Holland would use last year poor performances to his advantage. But it looks like the precedent has been set to where this past season may not matter much in the contract signings. Which means we should expect a lot of players to get some good money. I was hoping Mrazek would get a bridge deal for his poor performance Feb-March, but if that ain't going to count then he'll likely get a pretty nice contract.

Which might mean they won't be able to re-sign Helm or go after Stamkos. We will see I guess. I could be wrong.

Honestly, I don't think it's an overpayment - just about everyone on the team had an "off" year. Guys like Shawn Matthias, Lars Eller and Colin Wilson all produced around the same as Riley last season and are making from 2.3-3.9M per. Sheahan was ranked #87 in the entire league last year in lowest cost per point. The deal will give both parties two years to see what kind of player he turns into, and he's still RFA after it's done. It's not a bad signing at all, IMO.

Honestly, I don't think it's an overpayment - just about everyone on the team had an "off" year. Guys like Shawn Matthias, Lars Eller and Colin Wilson all produced around the same as Riley last season and are making from 2.3-3.9M per. Sheahan was ranked #87 in the entire league last year in lowest cost per point. The deal will give both parties two years to see what kind of player he turns into, and he's still RFA after it's done. It's not a bad signing at all, IMO.

Exactly.

I think this is a prove it contract for Sheahan.

If only we could all make that much money from sucking at our jobs.

well, Sheahan, is a third line player in NHL meaning that he is approximately top 400 at pro hockey worldwide out of let's say several thousands of pro hockey players. Are you sure you're top 10-20% at what you're doing?