• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mason

Brad Richards Retires

Rate this topic

I'd say it was about the right time for him to hang em up. Congrats on a good career. Hall of fame worthy? I'm kinda on the fence with him imho...

Congrats on a great career Brad! But no I don't think he is HOF worthy. He didn't dominate long enough and only played 15 years.

LOL at him being in the HHOF. Even the Hall wouldn't stoop that low.

Why not? I think he has a shot in a very weak class.

932 points, 2 stanley cups, Conn Smythe and Byng along with two 91 point seasons. Not a bad resume. Theres a few guys in the Hall with lesser accomplishments

I'm not saying he should be in though.

Edited by kickazz

Why not? I think he has a shot in a very weak class.

932 points, 2 stanley cups, Conn Smythe and Byng along with two 91 point seasons. Not a bad resume. Theres a few guys in the Hall with lesser accomplishments

I'm not saying he should be in though.

Was he ever even a top 5 center in the game? Top 10?

I think so, in 2004 I would say he was considered top 5. He ranked #2 centre in the regular season in points trailing only Sakic, and in the playoffs he led the league and won the Conn Smythe.

In 2006 he was 5th in points (as far as centre's go)

In 2010 he was ranked 5th overall in points as well (again as a centre).

I'm not sure if he should be in the HHOF, but the guy was an elite player for a period of time.

Personally I didn't think he was overall. But I didn't even pay attention to the guy until he came out of nowhere in Tampa and had a crazy good season or two when they won the cup. Then sort of fell off the radar. If he was top it was a short lived time imo, not as consistent as some of our past players.

Edited by kickazz

Personally I didn't think he was overall. But I didn't even pay attention to the guy until he came out of nowhere in Tampa and had a crazy good season or two when they won the cup. Then sort of fell off the radar. If he was top it was a short lived time imo, not as consistent as some of our past players.

This is a pretty good assessment of him. He played elite at times, but didnt play at that level IMO for a long enough time to be in the HHOF.

HOF? I don't think there's any chance at all. That's not to say he wasn't a great player, because he was, I just don't think HOF worthy. Now, that could be my view of HOF worthy though, or what I think it should be. I know there are more guys in there already than I'd like...should be a bit more exclusive.

I saw a comment above regarding only having played 15 seasons....I must say, that's the first time I've even seen a 15 year career as being referred to as "only" 15 years is pretty significant. Point of reference? Datsyuk played 14 seasons. Compare it to the average (around 5).

On NHL radio they were saying his wife's about to have another baby too.

The ol' "family life" retirement. Didn't want to move, wanted to be with his kids, etc.

Richards is getting 5+ mill a year in buy out money for a while yet...why wouldn't he quit, haha

Edited by FireCaptain

I mean if they're being ultra conservative on who gets into the HoF then from this current era only Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin and Brodeur would get in. So I get what he's saying. If we expand the pool then guys like Datsyuk, Toews, Kane would get in.

But I don't think it's that strict anymore. At least it doesn't seem that way.

Edited by kickazz

If Datsyuk gets in so should Richards. Personally I'd say neither are HHOF worthy.

I'd say Pav is much more likely and that Richards is more of a question mark. Their production is roughly the same, but Pav did it in 173 less games. I think it's Datsyuk's elite defensive game (and 3 selkes) that give him a big edge. Other 3 time Selke winners have not been inducted (Carbonnneau, Lehtinen) but they didn't put up the same numbers Datsyuk did.

Brad Pav

GP: 1126 953

Gs: 293 314

As: 634 604

Pts: 932 918

+/-: -67 +249

2 Cups 2 Cups

1 Byng 4 Byngs

1 Selke 3 Selkes

1 Smyth