• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jacksoni

2016 World Cup of Hockey thread

Rate this topic

Which team wins the World Cup of Hockey?  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The World Cup of Hockey in Toronto is coming up. The first game is September 17th and the final is on Saturday October the 1st. The official NHL url for the arrangement is:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/eventhome.htm?location=/worldcup/2016

Many Red Wings are participating in the tournament, listed below:

Kronwall(Team Sweden),

Zetterberg(Team Sweden),

Abdelkader(Team USA),

Larkin(Team North America),

Marchenko(Team Russia),

Mrazek(Team Czech Republic) and

Tatar(Team Europe),

Edit: also adding Red Wings players that are new for the season, ie has not played a game yet for our club but are signed. They are:

Nielsen(Team Europe) and

Vanek(Team Europe).

Any takes on the tournament should go in this thread I reckon.

Edited by Jacksoni

I'll be the first second to post a thought. There are some rumblings about a possible defensive pairing in the Swedish national hockey team being:

Victor Hedman(Tampa Bay) - Erik Karlsson(Ottawa)

For me that would be the deadliest defensive pairing I have seen in a few years if they were to "gel".

Nerve: I don't see why we can't have GDT's if someone wants em. This thread is mostly for the preamble leading up to the tournament and general discussion regarding it while it's churning.

Edit: and a poll.

Edited by Jacksoni

I'll be the first second to post a thought. There are some rumblings about a possible defensive pairing in the Swedish national hockey team being:

Victor Hedman - Erik Karlsson

For me that would be the deadliest defensive pairing I have seen in a few years if they were to "gel".

Nerve: I don't see why we can't have GDT's if someone wants em. This thread is mostly for the preamble leading up to the tournament and general discussion regarding it while it's churning.

The defense for Sweden is sick: Hedman, OEL, Karlsson but when you look at Canada Weber, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Keith it's so hard to pick between those 2. But I doubt the players will take this thing seriously.

The defense for Sweden is sick: Hedman, OEL, Karlsson but when you look at Canada Weber, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Keith it's so hard to pick between those 2. But I doubt the players will take this thing seriously.

Sweden and Canada are supremely stacked on the defensive side. Not many vintage teams that beats those D lineups, if any.

However Canada has the biggest wild card in the tournament in my opinion, that being the Montréal Canadiens goaltender Carey Price who has been sidelined last season due to a devastating groin injury. If he's in shape I simply can't see anyone beating Canada.

There is a lot of pride involved in the up and comers and comebackers. I think most players will go max in this tournament, especially those who have something to prove. Think McDavid, Eichel, Price and our hometown kid Dylan Larkin.

Zetterberg out of the tournament due to injury. EFFFFFF.

Here’s the info on Zetterberg not playing in the World Cup of Hockey. SWE press release.

CrRMvnXWEAAyUMO.jpg
Edited by e_prime

Hopefully this is a similar situation we are seeing with Kronwall. Not 100%, so opting out of the tournament to be ready to go opening night for the Wings...

Regardless, if it wasn't already crystal clear to management and the coaching staff that Zetterberg's and Kronwall's minutes / roles need to be significantly reduced, hopefully this will prove that...

per @drosennhl

Zetterberg out of World Cup. Holland said he hurt knee training. Will likely miss start of DET camp. Plans to be ready for start of season.

Golf tournament

Datsyuk got hurt last year before the season too. What is it with our offseason program? Either that or Zetterberg just doesn't want to play and needed an excuse.

Hang it up Z.

Even The Undertaker is in better shape than him.

Datsyuk got hurt last year before the season too. What is it with our offseason program? Either that or Zetterberg just doesn't want to play and needed an excuse.

Even The Undertaker is in better shape than him.

Perhaps, both Kronner and Z, are just playing it safe.

We need to bring Paul Bearer to the organization.

paul-bearer-pictures-11-2.jpg

Edited by NerveDamage

RIP paul bearer :(

----

Pretty sure Canada is going to win. But I hope the kids win in NA team

Wanted to see Sweden vs Russia because I wanted to see Datsyuk vs. Zetterberg, but now I'll probably just get the ticket for one of the games Larkin is playing.

Edited by kickazz

Canada is the team to beat obviously, but they've won the last two major tournaments so I'm thinking another team might pull off an upset this time around. Team Sweden will have a good team up and down their lineup. Team North America will be fun to watch, lots of speed for sure. Russia has lots of scoring, but not great defense. Finland and the Czechs will have a tough time competing in this tournament I think, but are still talented enough to pull off a one game upset. Team Europe is an interesting team, they definitely have some top end talent up and down their lineup. The question with team Europe and North America is will players from other countries be able to get along and pull together as a cohesive unit. USA I think will be very competitive, maybe another World Cup championship in their future? We will see, should be very interesting!