• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

NerveDamage

Pistons could play in LCA

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, kliq said:

I am very nervous of this as I have my routine down.

I drive from Windsor to Detroit via the tunnel, I park at the parking garage one block away from Cobo for $10 which is NEVER packed unless the autoshow is going on. When I leave I am back to Windsor in about 20 min!

I feel that its going to be a nightmare parking/driving to LCA.

You could still park in that garage then take the People Mover to Grand Circus Park, walk a few blocks north and you're there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 3:31 PM, Valas19 said:

A team with a competent coach and GM

Except for Van Gundy's position on our election. It's fine to have an opinion, but he said "Black" players should strike until Trump is kicked out of office. I'm all for our 1st Amendment freedoms, but this just makes him look like a cry baby race baiter.

Sorry, not trying to be too political, but just explaining why I will not support this team because of this kind of ideology within the NBA. Especially with the fragile state of my country...same reason I don't watch the NFL anymore.

Anyhow, we knew this was more than likely going to happen, back when ilitch was trying to buy the team, Mrs. Davidson wouldn't sell it to him if he didn't buy PSE along with it, ilitch didn't want the entire franchise, just the team. Even when Gores bought it he said he wouldn't rule out a move back to the city. Good business move though.

http://usherald.com/nba-coach-black-players-strike-racist-trump-kicked-obamas-house/

Edited by LeftWinger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing this will have a negative effect on the ice quality.  Time to draft more lumbering players that can forecheck.  Enough of the speed, but no skill movement.  

Also, the arena will no longer be a shrine to the Wings.  Now you'll see Bill Laimbeer's and Dennis Rodman's retired jersey, as well as basketball posters everywhere.  Pretty sad.  

Edited by GMRwings1983

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely, this is a good thing for the city though? They're clearly trying to evolve this into a true district, which will inevitably bring more people downtown, spending more money, boosting the economy etc. 

While maybe not ideal for the Wings, if they knew that there'd be issues with the ice quality etc, then they wouldn't do it?

Think of how many teams around the league share an arena with NBA teams....LA, Toronto, NY, Boston, Chicago to name a few

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a bit salty here...F**k the NBA.

Here in Milwaukee - the Bradley Center was 'donated' in 1988 by the Pettit family in order to meet the demands of the NHL for an expansion franchise...Long story short - the Pettit's never did put up the $$$ for the team, and the NBA Milwaukee Bucks became the primary tenant of the Bradley Center by default (although the Milwaukee Admirals played there as well - which the Pettit's had owned until several years ago).

Now - at only 28 years of age - the Bradley Center is deemed outdated by the current NBA standards, and so the owners of the Bucks, and taxpayers are gonna build a new arena...Keep in mind that the Bucks have been in the basement of the standings for much of the past 28 years, and yet they're getting a new building in a few years...And the Bradley Center will get demolished...Meanwhile the Milwaukee Admirals are back in the 1950's era Mecca Arena (must say I have fond memories of seeing games there back in the 70's).

Again...F**k the NBA.

18 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

I'm guessing this will have a negative effect on the ice quality.  Time to draft more lumbering players that can forecheck.  Enough of the speed, but no skill movement.  

Also, the arena will no longer be a shrine to the Wings.  Now you'll see Bill Laimbeer's and Dennis Rodman's retired jersey, as well as basketball posters everywhere.  Pretty sad.  

Very few arenas that 'share' it between hockey/basketball have good quality ice.

I too don't wish to see d-bag basketball pennants hanging from the rafters...They should renovate the Palace of Auburn Hills, or build their own damn arena. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

I'm a bit salty here...F**k the NBA.

Here in Milwaukee - the Bradley Center was 'donated' in 1988 by the Pettit family in order to meet the demands of the NHL for an expansion franchise...Long story short - the Pettit's never did put up the $$$ for the team, and the NBA Milwaukee Bucks became the primary tenant of the Bradley Center by default (although the Milwaukee Admirals played there as well - which the Pettit's had owned until several years ago).

Now - at only 28 years of age - the Bradley Center is deemed outdated by the current NBA standards, and so the owners of the Bucks, and taxpayers are gonna build a new arena...Keep in mind that the Bucks have been in the basement of the standings for much of the past 28 years, and yet they're getting a new building in a few years...And the Bradley Center will get demolished...Meanwhile the Milwaukee Admirals are back in the 1950's era Mecca Arena (must say I have fond memories of seeing games there back in the 70's).

Again...F**k the NBA.

Very few arenas that 'share' it between hockey/basketball have good quality ice.

I too don't wish to see d-bag basketball pennants hanging from the rafters...They should renovate the Palace of Auburn Hills, or build their own damn arena. 

Not to play Devil's advocate, but isn't this a trend that we are seeing across pretty much all pro sports right now? 

Look at some teams that are building new arenas/stadiums that are barely that old:

MLB:

Texas Rangers - Ballpark in Arlington (1994) - new park opening 2021

Atlanta Braves - Turner field (1996) - Sun Trust Park opening 2017

NHL:

Gila River Arena (2003) - new arena proposed/approved 

These are obviously just a few examples, and look at NHL teams that were forced to move because team owners handcuffed the city into threatening relocation unless they coughed up millions of dollars to build a new arena because they wanted more revenue from corporate boxes even though their current arena was perfectly good for hockey.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

I'm a bit salty here...F**k the NBA.

Here in Milwaukee - the Bradley Center was 'donated' in 1988 by the Pettit family in order to meet the demands of the NHL for an expansion franchise...Long story short - the Pettit's never did put up the $$$ for the team, and the NBA Milwaukee Bucks became the primary tenant of the Bradley Center by default (although the Milwaukee Admirals played there as well - which the Pettit's had owned until several years ago).

Now - at only 28 years of age - the Bradley Center is deemed outdated by the current NBA standards, and so the owners of the Bucks, and taxpayers are gonna build a new arena...Keep in mind that the Bucks have been in the basement of the standings for much of the past 28 years, and yet they're getting a new building in a few years...And the Bradley Center will get demolished...Meanwhile the Milwaukee Admirals are back in the 1950's era Mecca Arena (must say I have fond memories of seeing games there back in the 70's).

Again...F**k the NBA.

Very few arenas that 'share' it between hockey/basketball have good quality ice.

I too don't wish to see d-bag basketball pennants hanging from the rafters...They should renovate the Palace of Auburn Hills, or build their own damn arena. 

I can't wait for the Packers to move from that old s**hole stadium of theirs.    ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, wings4thecup06 said:

Not to play Devil's advocate, but isn't this a trend that we are seeing across pretty much all pro sports right now? 

Look at some teams that are building new arenas/stadiums that are barely that old:

MLB:

Texas Rangers - Ballpark in Arlington (1994) - new park opening 2021

Atlanta Braves - Turner field (1996) - Sun Trust Park opening 2017

NHL:

Gila River Arena (2003) - new arena proposed/approved

These are obviously just a few examples, and look at NHL teams that were forced to move because team owners handcuffed the city into threatening relocation unless they coughed up millions of dollars to build a new arena because they wanted more revenue from corporate boxes even though their current arena was perfectly good for hockey.....

Indeed.

Apparently that'll solve their attendance woes :eh:

Edited by F.Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Except for Van Gundy's position on our election. It's fine to have an opinion, but he said "Black" players should strike until Trump is kicked out of office. I'm all for our 1st Amendment freedoms, but this just makes him look like a cry baby race baiter.

Sorry, not trying to be too political, but just explaining why I will not support this team because of this kind of ideology within the NBA. Especially with the fragile state of my country...same reason I don't watch the NFL anymore.

Anyhow, we knew this was more than likely going to happen, back when ilitch was trying to buy the team, Mrs. Davidson wouldn't sell it to him if he didn't buy PSE along with it, ilitch didn't want the entire franchise, just the team. Even when Gores bought it he said he wouldn't rule out a move back to the city. Good business move though.

http://usherald.com/nba-coach-black-players-strike-racist-trump-kicked-obamas-house/

No, it just makes him look like he made it to a civilized (read: equal) view on other people, regardless of colour, race, religion, gender or what the F.. else some brainiacs still consider appropriate criteria to judge their fellow human beings. But as evidenced by the election, way to many people in your country obviously lack that required IQ to get there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

I'm a bit salty here...F**k the NBA.

Here in Milwaukee - the Bradley Center was 'donated' in 1988 by the Pettit family in order to meet the demands of the NHL for an expansion franchise...Long story short - the Pettit's never did put up the $$$ for the team, and the NBA Milwaukee Bucks became the primary tenant of the Bradley Center by default (although the Milwaukee Admirals played there as well - which the Pettit's had owned until several years ago).

Now - at only 28 years of age - the Bradley Center is deemed outdated by the current NBA standards, and so the owners of the Bucks, and taxpayers are gonna build a new arena...Keep in mind that the Bucks have been in the basement of the standings for much of the past 28 years, and yet they're getting a new building in a few years...And the Bradley Center will get demolished...Meanwhile the Milwaukee Admirals are back in the 1950's era Mecca Arena (must say I have fond memories of seeing games there back in the 70's).

Again...F**k the NBA.

Very few arenas that 'share' it between hockey/basketball have good quality ice.

I too don't wish to see d-bag basketball pennants hanging from the rafters...They should renovate the Palace of Auburn Hills, or build their own damn arena.

The Palace was actually renovated for around $40 million over the past few years after Gores bought the Pistons & PSE.  Also, the Palace was built using 100% of Davidson's money, the taxpayers paid zero dollars for it, so it was technically their own arena.  It makes perfect sense to have the team back in Detroit proper.

Also, I question the whole ice quality issue with shared facilities.  With the ice equipment & technology that's out there now, it is a lot better to maintain good ice.  For example, LA shares with both the Lakers & Clippers, plus the Staples Center has a lot of other events going on throughout the year.  Staples Center is pretty much busy year round.  I've never really heard of any major issues with ice quality there.  The only one that I usually hear about is Madison Square Garden in New York.  They recently spent a lot to renovate there, so it's possible they upgraded their ice making facilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reality is, it really isn't economically possible to run a building like this these days without other tenants.  40 events in the year just doesn't cut it.  I know there would be more factoring in pre-season /  playoffs, but not substantially different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now