• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

The Dead Wings.

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

This team would be better if we were able to keep firepower guys like Franzen around. Unfortunately Holland likes watching soft hockey and refuses to invest in tough customers that will protect our stars

This team has no stars. Besides that I hate to break it to you but you could have Probert, Kocur, and McCarty on this team and they will still get hit. This isnt the old NHL anymore. Teams dont care who you have in the lineup they are going to hit the other team hard. There is a reason teams dont dress goons anymore. They are not effective in the current NHL as all they are is a reactionary role not a preventative one. Granted the team would be a heck of a lot more entertaining to watch but they would still be bad and have injuries. 

And thinking Franzen would still be playing with goons on the squad is naive. The guy was the made of glass and lacked any desire after getting that contract. 

21 minutes ago, GoalieManPat said:

This team has no stars. Besides that I hate to break it to you but you could have Probert, Kocur, and McCarty on this team and they will still get hit. This isnt the old NHL anymore. Teams dont care who you have in the lineup they are going to hit the other team hard. There is a reason teams dont dress goons anymore. They are not effective in the current NHL as all they are is a reactionary role not a preventative one. Granted the team would be a heck of a lot more entertaining to watch but they would still be bad and have injuries. 

And thinking Franzen would still be playing with goons on the squad is naive. The guy was the made of glass and lacked any desire after getting that contract. 

Concussions will do that to desire.

This team started get run by others teams rats as soon as Lilja was gone. 

14 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

He's had concussion issues since 16 years old. How long have you been watching him??

Guess his youth team should have had more goons then ehh. He never would have had issues then.

Edited by GoalieManPat

53 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

If this is the rebirth of the Dead Wings era I sure hope the ticket prices begin to show that. I paid out the hind end for 2 tickets to the NYI game in Feb. The way things are going they will be giving away a car at that game so I have that possibility. 

Good luck with that, especially now that the 200 million taxpayer funded arena is coming up. There will be an increase maybe not as drastic as in Edmonton thanks to the perfect storm of McJesus, getting Puljujarvi and their new building.

It's almost comical and shocking how comparable the situation in Vancouver and Detroit is.

1 hour ago, frankgrimes said:

Good luck with that, especially now that the 200 million taxpayer funded arena is coming up. There will be an increase maybe not as drastic as in Edmonton thanks to the perfect storm of McJesus, getting Puljujarvi and their new building.

It's almost comical and shocking how comparable the situation in Vancouver and Detroit is.

What no nickname yet? You're slacking Frank...

PuljaGODvi? PuljaMUHAMMEDvi? PuljaIMTHEBESTESTvi?

6 hours ago, Richdg said:

Waiting? Hell no. I have been warning of this since I joined this forum 4/5 years ago. My very first post was called: The Trueth about our Decline. Or something like that, man it has been a long time. its not like I am some hockey genius either. It is common since. You can't bleed off high end talent like we have been, fail to replace them with anything close to the same ability, and expect to remain on top.We have been trending down since 09 and it will be 2-3 more years before we finally bottom out.

Yea this franchise is terrible and they have made me nothing but miserable for the 25 years I have been a fan, I mean what kind of fan wouldn't want their team to make the playoffs every year, and in that time have some of the best players of the era ( Yzerman, Lidstrom, Hasek, Fedorov, Shanahan etc...), play a very exciting brand of hockey and win 4 Stanley Cups in that time.  There are up and downs in everything and we are on a downswing right now, no denial. The city of Detroit, it's hockey fans and this franchise I think are way too proud to just throw in the towel and hit the panic button. Things need to change but I will take this 25 year stretch and be very happy with what I have seen and watched.  

7 hours ago, Richdg said:

Waiting? Hell no. I have been warning of this since I joined this forum 4/5 years ago. My very first post was called: The Trueth about our Decline. Or something like that, man it has been a long time. its not like I am some hockey genius either. It is common since. You can't bleed off high end talent like we have been, fail to replace them with anything close to the same ability, and expect to remain on top.We have been trending down since 09 and it will be 2-3 more years before we finally bottom out.

So you were miserable for like 5 years. That's a tough way to live. Most of us were enjoying the ride lol. 

I remember the Pittsburgh fans thinking just like you. Similar in a way. Till they won last year. Not the same situation obviously since they have Crosby. But very similar types of thinking on their end too. 

Well, if it really is the new Dead Wing era or whatever, at least we went down fighting. 

Edited by kickazz

38 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

The 20+ years they were contenders was great. That's the past though. It's irrelevant to what's happening now.

I would give this a solid nope. We're struggling now because of that success - that's how the Cap and draft system is designed.

And to recognize the larger picture is to be realistic and not get too down on the current state of things during tough times.

What no nickname yet? You're slacking Frank...
PuljaGODvi? PuljaMUHAMMEDvi? PuljaIMTHEBESTESTvi?

Since you are the best with making stuff up you should have an easy time creating CAPS ones by yourself instead of adding something to the discussion... guess some hardcore fans are now mad that those who wanted a rebuild for years have been right and now they can't even admit it.

This team being bad wasn't by design this was supposed to be a competitive team and it cost the Wings a promising pick, added another long-term contract.

If the past is still relevant so are the countless mistakes which have led to this. Patrick not making team Canada is a downer would have loved to see what this guy can do if fully healthy

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Probert and Kocur weren't part of the Dead Wings era. They were rookies in 86. The Dead Wings were 70's and early 80's. They ceased to exist when Jacques Demers took over the bench. He did win two Jack Adams trophies in a row.

I have always considered the day that Mike and Marion bought the Wings the end of the Dead Wings era. Now that they are barley involved with the team that era has returned......

19 minutes ago, Richdg said:

I have always considered the day that Mike and Marion bought the Wings the end of the Dead Wings era. Now that they are barley involved with the team that era has returned......

Being very bad, then being contenders for almost 20 years and winning 4 cups, then taking a downturn.....I think any sports fan would be ecstatic to have their team go through this. A true testament to what the Itlitch Family, Devellano, Holland, Bowman, Babs etc. have done for this franchise.

28 minutes ago, Richdg said:

The team right now is nothing like the team during the Dead Wings era. I know it's wishful thinking to prove your point, but most of the teams in the league are equally as bad or equally as good , however you want to put it. There's 10 teams in the league a few points within each other of a playoff spot. 

The Dead Wings era would make sense if we we're one of the few terrible teams. We aren't. We're around the level of 14 of the 30 teams in the league as far as points are concerned. 

That's primarily the reason why this thread has no merit whatsoever. 

Edited by kickazz

Just now, DickieDunn said:

It's hard to be that much worse than everyone else now with the parity.  Between the cap and the extra point for losing in OT, you have to REALLY suck to be very far out of the playoff race before the all star game.

That's my point. We might be bad now. We might not make the playoffs. But this isn't The Dead Wings era. It's practically impossible to go back to a time like that with the way the league is now. To compare this year to the Dead Wings era is laughable. 

2 hours ago, frankgrimes said:

Since you are the best with making stuff up you should have an easy time creating CAPS ones by yourself instead of adding something to the discussion... guess some hardcore fans are now mad that those who wanted a rebuild for years have been right and now they can't even admit it.

This team being bad wasn't by design this was supposed to be a competitive team and it cost the Wings a promising pick, added another long-term contract.

If the past is still relevant so are the countless mistakes which have led to this. Patrick not making team Canada is a downer would have loved to see what this guy can do if fully healthy

2 years ago, fans were saying that the Sharks were done and they needed to re-build. Fans of the Pens just a year ago were saying that the team was in decline and changes needed to be made. Its so easy for fans to sit from afar and scream "hit the reset button". Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, more often it doesn't. I have watched the Detroit Lions "rebuild" for more then a decade, top 5 pick after top 5 pick that led to nothing as the team just got stuck in a negative/losing culture. Things appear better now (knock on wood) but how many years did we suffer disappointment after disappointment. Its funny as for years the criticism of the Lions was they had elite players in CJ, Suh, Stafford, but lacked balance and depth.

I get why some fans of the Wings were saying "tank!", you see the Kings and the Hawks, and they become the template of how to turn your team around. The countless other teams that tried the same thing and failed (ie. Thrasher/Jets, Hurricanes, CBJ etc) are simply ignored. Havent the Blue Jackets been re-building since 2000?

The reason why I get so annoyed when people whine and complain about Ken Holland is I try to think to myself, how would I react if I were in his shoes? If I had an owner in Mike Ilitch that was anti re-build (I think the DD/Tigers situation made that clear) and I did a re-build on the fly before that successfully that led to a cup, I cant see how I would do anything but. Alot you can say you would this, or you would do that, but if Mike Ilitch looks at you and says "make this team better THIS YEAR!" BS you would tell him no.

Criticizing Holland becomes the easy and the lazy thing to do. If ownership wanted a complete re-build/tank job, it would be happening. GM's DO NOT have more power then ownership. With all that being said, do I think Holland is perfect? No. I didnt like any of the UFA signings this past off season (though Vanek has turned out well, props again Lefty lol). In retrospect, we probably should have have held onto Datsyuk, not signed Neilsen and drafted Chychrun. But hindsight is always 20/20, and we just couldn't pass up the chance of landing Stamkos, especially when experts were pointing at us a favourite. I still remember threads with people saying  "If Holland cant trade Datsyuk's contract, fire him!!!!!!"

Our last crop of talent (Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Glendenning, Smith, Sproul, XO, etc.) for the most part turned out to all be good secondary players and role players, unfortunately none became elite and under Blashill most have regressed to 3rd line level players or worse. Now the test becomes, what happens with the development of guys like Larkin, Mantha, AA, Mrazek, Svechnikov etc. We need these players to get to an elite level, or we need to pull a trade out our asse, or we need to hope to find some gems in the draft. Come the trade deadline, if we have not done a 180 from where we are right now, it would be a good idea to sell, I wouldn't trade everyone, but I would move some guys.

Completely tearing things down to the extreme and going the route that some want to take could be a very very ugly road with no light at the end of the tunnel. Something a lot of people on here claim they can handle it, but based on the poll that was made and the freak outs about our decline, I don't think the majority of fans could take.

19 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

It's hard to be that much worse than everyone else now with the parity.  Between the cap and the extra point for losing in OT, you have to REALLY suck to be very far out of the playoff race before the all star game.

Exactly right! More the reason that comparing this team to the Dead Wings era is hyperbole.