• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nev

Poll: Who was the Wings regular season MVP

Rate this topic

Who was the Wings regular season MVP?  

170 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm sure someone will be along soon enough with the end of season grades, but in the meantime, here's your chance to vote for your MVP.

Now, before you all rush off and vote for Nyquist, let me remind you of two things. One, the season began in October, not after the Winter Olympics. Two, a win in October is worth 2 points, just like a win in March.

Right, onto the options

1) Daniel Alfredsson. 68GP, 18-31-49, +2. Joint top scorer.

2) Niklas Kronwall. 79GP, 8-41-49, Even. Joint top scorer, 10th in league scoring by defenceman.

3) Gustav Nyquist. 57GP, 28-20-48, +16

4) Henrik Zetterberg. 45GP, 16-32-48, +19. 2nd in league scoring before his back issues first flared up.

5) Jimmy Howard. 21-19-11, 2.66 GAA, 0.910 SV%

6) Jonas Gustavsson. 16-5-4, 2.63 GAA, 0.907 SV%

Now obviously Nyquist is going to be the popular vote for what he did down the stretch, but we have to remember that Zetterberg was in beast mode before Christmas. Remember when he (with Z and Alfie) was our only offence, and if they didn't have 3 point nights, we didn't win?

However, for me, the MVP has to be Kronwall. Through all the injuries to the captain, and every other Alternate to boot, he has become the de facto leader of this team. In the locker room, in front of the media, and on the ice, Kronner has been front and center. He's had a great year offensively, and for all the hate about his defensive play was still even.

Guest DeGraa55

Nyquist. When our stars and old players were hurt and Franzen did his usually nothing for 75% of games nyquist stepped up.

After nyquist, I'd say kronwall and smith TOGETHER has been really nice. Dekeyser as well.

Nyquist, he put the team on his back after Z went down. Without him the team wouldn't be in the position it's in now. Kronwall in my mind had a lukewarm season, not bad, but honestly, aside from points, I felt his play wasn't as good as it could have been especially on the defensive side of the puck. Alfredsson I felt was invisible way too much to be get consideration. Looking at Howard's stats against the back up goalies' stats tells you how bad his season was. That leaves Z. Z was great, but, I sometimes feel that at points this season the team relied too much on him, and they played worse as a unit with him. As s***ty it is to say that, the team actually was better as team after he got hurt, because they couldn't take nights off and let him carry the team.

If you think back to the whole season it's Zetterberg, for all the reasons Nev stated.

Nyquist is a very close second, also for all the reasons Nev stated. He got crazy hot for two and a half months, but that isn't the same as being the team's MVP to me.

A honorary mention to Dekeyser. Where would our defense be had this kid not fallen into Detroit's lap?

Hard to choose with a season with so many injuries and so many players that played for the team. Gustavsson was a good backup when healty. stood tall when he needed to. Without him we wouldn't be in the playoff. But beeing a good backup doesn't qualify one as MVP, if the goalie then this honour would belong to Howie. And Howie was to inconsitent for that imho. Nyquist was great obviously but it's the same as with Gustavsson : Without him we wouldn't have made it but he also didn't play enough for my taste. Wiht Z out for equal reasons that leaves only Kronwall and Alfredsson. Hard to decide but (Spoiler Alert) I'm going along with Nev here. Kronwall never was spectacular like Nyquist and he also had a few outright bad games. But despite that he manged to pile up piont after piont . You could almost say the same about Alfie but what impresses me more about Kronner is that while he constantly scored he was also usually our strongest D-man by far. And that's why Kronner is the MVP.

I don't think Kronwall gets the recognition he deserves by most. Nyquist is the reason why the Wings are in the playoffs, but Kronwall has been solid all season while producing at the same time. People are quick to criticize Nik because he isn't Lidstrom, but he is still a very good defenseman who has done great things for the team this year.

Edited by CaliforniaWingsFan

I went with Nyquist.

Nev and Shaman's posts were very interesting and spot on, and I haven't read too much here that I actually disagree with, but for me, Nyquist has given the team the emotional boost that it needed when Pav and Z went down. Kronner held them together as a team, and the Kid Line provided some much-needed spark, but without Nyquist, I think the season would have just folded.

It would have been easy to look at our injuries and feel that we had no one to lead us to the playoffs. It took a group effort to hang in there. Nyquist did what Z was doing (on-ice) at the beginning of the season, but when Z was out there doing it, he was doing it as the captain of a team that was struggling through some injuries. When Nyquist did it, he was doing it as a kid whose captain was out.

It doesn't diminish how important Z is to the team as the captain to say that he was doing what was expected as a captain, but when someone comes up from the minors and does it, that serves as inspiration for the rest of the team, and hopefully motivates the veterans to get going and the other youngsters to step up into a larger role.

There's several people who without any of them we would not be in the playoffs today. Nyquist, for all the reasons mentioned above. Z, for putting the team in his back until his back broke. Kronner, for driving the ship with a steady hands after Z went down. Gus, for somehow figuring out how to win games while Jimmy was terrible.

Entire season MVP for me is the guy who played the entire season and was honorary captain when Z went down. Kronwall. He really brought our d corps together and seemed to be a steadying influence for a lot of the kids. Without any of the guys listed above we wouldn't be where we are today, but Kronner was the most vital.

Guest DeGraa55

It's a 4 way tie for me between Bertuzzi, Cleary, Samuelsson, Weiss... without them we would never have seen Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan, Jurco.

Thank you gents for sucking so bad.

I couldn't agree more!

Nyquist. Hands down. If not for him, our epic playoff streak might have came to an end.

THIS.

If not for Nyquist our seasons over, Tatar should also get more then a nod. These are the guys that gave an entire team something to believed in~In my brain anyways;)!

It's a 4 way tie for me between Bertuzzi, Cleary, Samuelsson, Weiss... without them we would never have seen Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan, Jurco.

Thank you gents for sucking so bad.

Great post!!!

For me:

1. Kronwall - One of the most under-rated Wings ever. Takes s*** because he’s not Lidstrom but there’s 0% chance we make the playoffs without him

2. Nyquist - No explanation needed

3. Monster - Really bailed us out when Jimmy was hurt/half-blind.

I’d like to add though, that the Wings have always played a team game, but never like this year. Picking the MVP is almost moot.

I voted Nyquist, but that was because there was a lack of a Kronwall option. He logged tons of minutes and really held us together when we had such a young group.

Kronwall Was the second option

Edited by Euro_Twins

I was really tempted to go with Nyquist (duh) or Zetterberg (duh). But, ultimately, it has to be Kronwall. I don't see how it could be anyone else. He plays the most minutes. He gets the toughest assignments. He's used in all situations. He's first or second on the team in points while being far and away our best, most valuable defenseman and the reason our blue line isn't among the worst in the league. He became The Leader in Z's absence. He only missed a few games. He's adjusted and elevated his game. Through all the ups and downs and injuries and changes, he's been the one great constant.

I voted Nyquist because I think there's no "ifs" about it. We don't make the playoffs without that ridiculous hot streak. Kronwall a close second though. He had some rough patches (in my opinion) but that's understandable considering how heavily we leaned on him and I was really impressed that he still played after some of the hits he took and wasn't on IR more. Champ.

I think it has to be Kronner, Gus has been incredible and Z would have been MVP if he'd played the whole year, but of all the injuries we had this year, if we lost Kronner for a lengthy period no way we make the playoffs.

Edited by FifeHockeyNut