• Please log in to reply
372 replies to this topic

#141 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

My point is that you can't really apply that logic to everyone (i.e. giving a bridge deal to everyone coming of ELC).  Take Crosby as another extreme case.  You wouldn't sign him to a 2 year prove it deal after his first 3 years.  To me, bridge deals are more of a risk management concept.  Sometimes, a player would prefer 2 years at $3M per rather than 6 years at $4M per...it really depends.

Take Subban for example.  Montreal went with a bridge deal for him and are going to get burned now.  Not sure if he pushed for the bridge deal or not, but they would have been better off signing him long-term a couple years ago, now they will end up paying much more.

I understand your point of view though....you haven't put in enough time to demonstrate consistency, therefore don't deserve a long-term lucrative contract....however, teams often give players contracts they don't currently deserve to avoid having to pay them even more in the future.

#142 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

The most comparable production I can see of a player who just signed is Mcginn who I believe just signed a 2 year 3 mill deal. Mcginn is older (not sure if he was RFA). I can see Tats asking for something comparable to that.

#143 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

My point is that you can't really apply that logic to everyone (i.e. giving a bridge deal to everyone coming of ELC).  Take Crosby as another extreme case.  You wouldn't sign him to a 2 year prove it deal after his first 3 years.  To me, bridge deals are more of a risk management concept.  Sometimes, a player would prefer 2 years at $3M per rather than 6 years at $4M per...it really depends.

Take Subban for example.  Montreal went with a bridge deal for him and are going to get burned now.  Not sure if he pushed for the bridge deal or not, but they would have been better off signing him long-term a couple years ago, now they will end up paying much more.

I understand your point of view though....you haven't put in enough time to demonstrate consistency, therefore don't deserve a long-term lucrative contract....however, teams often give players contracts they don't currently deserve to avoid having to pay them even more in the future.

For the record, I'm not against skipping bridge deals when the situation calls for it. (I know my 3rd post in this topic seems to contradict that, because I said "players"). My original point was this: 

Tatar should sign a "bridge" deal, just like most younger players. I can't stand when I see a guy come off of his ELC and get a 6 million dollar contract (not saying Tatar is getting this, or has asked for it) for one season of strong play. The rare occasion, it's deserved and the deal works out

So perhaps I wasn't specific enough, but I'm referring to the mid-range players, not superstar. I acknowledge that skipping bridge deals can be beneficial. At times, skipping those bridge deals turns out to be a fantastic situation for a team - i.e. John Tavares. I think most players considered to be superstars can "safely" skip those deals.

Montreal's screwed right now because of Subban's bridge deals, and that's where I think a team like Ottawa did the right thing (Karlsson @ 6.5 per). 

However, in Tatar's particular case, I would feel much safer giving him a bridge deal to determine his long-term contract's value. As of right now, he's played predominantly on the 3rd line. The players mentioned above are studs, playing against the other team's top competition. Maybe it's my perception of Tatar's potential, but I don't see Detroit being burned by a bridge deal with him. I don't think it'll amount to a situation where Tatar is able to demand upwards of 7 million on his next deal.

I get the idea of risk management, and I wouldn't have been totally opposed to a 5 year, 3-3.5 million deal. It worked out well with Filppula. I just think that the 2-3 year deal, in Tatar's case, would be the best fit for now. 

Edited by Jesusberg, 25 July 2014 - 04:16 PM.

#144 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

Tatar is the one who wants a 2-3 year deal. Management is pushing for 5 years

#145 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

Tatar is the one who wants a 2-3 year deal. Management is pushing for 5 years

They're pushing for 5, or they gave Tatar the options of 2, 3 and 5 year deals?

I know he's on record saying he'd prefer the 2-3 year, but I haven't seen anything about what management is pushing for.

#146 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

I'm going to laugh and laugh and laugh if Tatar signs a more "team friendly" deal than Dekeyser.  Everybody is overly worried about Tatar, but the local guy isn't signed either.  What if he's the one with the "ego problem" or whatever else is being suggested  about Tatar?  People act like Tatar is some kind of bad seed because he's trying to get the best deal he can.  But clearly Dekeyser is doing the same thing and everyone is mum. 

Truth is, neither are currently signed because their value is really hard to determine.  They've both played better than your average rookie but don't have a track record.  As such, it's hard for both management, and their agents, to figure out what their proper value is.  So it takes time. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#147 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

I'm going to laugh and laugh and laugh if Tatar signs a more "team friendly" deal than Dekeyser.  Everybody is overly worried about Tatar, but the local guy isn't signed either.  What if he's the one with the "ego problem" or whatever else is being suggested  about Tatar?  People act like Tatar is some kind of bad seed because he's trying to get the best deal he can.  But clearly Dekeyser is doing the same thing and everyone is mum. 

Truth is, neither are currently signed because their value is really hard to determine.  They've both played better than your average rookie but don't have a track record.  As such, it's hard for both management, and their agents, to figure out what their proper value is.  So it takes time. 

I'd love for both guys to be lifetime Wings, so I'd be perfectly fine if both got 5 year 15 million contracts to bridge them until they get 5-6 mil per on the next one.  I just hope they sign soon so we can put this thread to bed.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#148 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

http://fox17online.c...ck-with-fox-17/

Now he’s a restricted free agent and is simply waiting to sign a new deal with the Red Wings.

“There won’t be any problems,” said DeKeyser about the negotiations. “It’ll be done before camp. So, no one needs to worry about that.”

#149 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

I was about to post that link, found it on The Malik Report. Definitely a good sign, imho.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#150 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

Sooo he said the exact same thing Tatar said a week ago?

Edited by kipwinger, 26 July 2014 - 07:43 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#151 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 806 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:59 PM

There is only one "sign" while they are RFAs. The good sign. They are trapped and will sign anyways. When they become UFAs things will change. However good attitude is always welcomed.

#152 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

Wings agree to terms with Tatar on three-year deal

"DETROIT – The Detroit Red Wings today announced that they have agreed to terms with left wing Tomas Tatar on a new three-year contract. In accordance with club policy, additional details will not be disclosed."

http://redwings.nhl....s.htm?id=727256

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 28 July 2014 - 12:49 PM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#153 PumpIron

PumpIron

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

im gonna say Dekeyser at 3.75mil per for 3 years and Tatar 2.75mil per for 3

Looks like i was right for tatar

#154 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

With how slow it's been on here lately and the crappy day I'm having at work seeing this makes me a happy camper. I know there's always lots of pessimism around here but I gotta say I can't wait for the season to start and watching the wings play, mediocre or not. Go wingssss!

Edit: and to say something more relevant I'm surprised at how much he got, but definitely not upset about it. Worth it I think even if just to show him the Wings have some faith in him and build a good relationship going forward.

Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero, 28 July 2014 - 02:53 PM.

#155 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:56 AM

This reply is very late, and Tatar has been signed...

That all said - I'm thinking many here like myself tend to view our Dman as having greater role, and are more important to the club than some of our forwards (keeping in mind what we have lost to retirement/injuries/trade these past few seasons)...

I'm happy to see Tatar signed on for 3 seasons, and even more so when DD gets inked.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#156 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:05 AM

Ok - am I the only one here wondering what the deal is with Holland & DD?

#157 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:12 AM

Ok - am I the only one here wondering what the deal is with Holland & DD?

• Ansar Khan of MLive: (mailbag) Tyler Myers and Mike Green were among the players the Red Wings looked at acquiring this offseason. The Wings inquired about Ryan Kesler but they didn’t have the assets to acquire him or didn’t want to give up what it would take to trade for him. Anthony Mantha and Petr Mrazek are likely untouchable. It doesn’t make sense to trade someone like right-handed shooting defenseman Ryan Sproul. Gustav Nyquist is basically untouchable. If they were going to package Tomas Tatar, Tomas Jurco or Brendan Smith with a prospect or two for a ‘star’ player, it would depend on what player you would be getting back.Khan thinks the Wings would be better off having someone like Jurco in their top-six over taking a flyer on Dustin Penner. They could use some more size in their lineup, but it’s unlikely they will look at any more free agents.

Danny DeKeyser will probably re-sign before the start of training camp.

Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: reported the following quote from From Ken Holland:

“We’ll find a solution. We like Dan a lot; he’s been a real good, young player for us. The hard part is trying to find what’s fair for player and for club. He’s only played 76 games, but he’s a real important part of our team. We’ll get him done.”

I don't think many are worried because there hasn't been a single bad thing rumored/said about how there negotiation are going, and everyone (including DD) are saying he will be signed by training camp. This isn't a Columbus/Ryan Johansen situation........*knock on wood*

Edited by kliq, 04 September 2014 - 12:17 AM.

#158 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:34 AM

• Ansar Khan of MLive: (mailbag) Tyler Myers and Mike Green were among the players the Red Wings looked at acquiring this offseason. The Wings inquired about Ryan Kesler but they didn’t have the assets to acquire him or didn’t want to give up what it would take to trade for him. Anthony Mantha and Petr Mrazek are likely untouchable. It doesn’t make sense to trade someone like right-handed shooting defenseman Ryan Sproul. Gustav Nyquist is basically untouchable. If they were going to package Tomas Tatar, Tomas Jurco or Brendan Smith with a prospect or two for a ‘star’ player, it would depend on what player you would be getting back.Khan thinks the Wings would be better off having someone like Jurco in their top-six over taking a flyer on Dustin Penner. They could use some more size in their lineup, but it’s unlikely they will look at any more free agents.

Danny DeKeyser will probably re-sign before the start of training camp.

Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: reported the following quote from From Ken Holland:

“We’ll find a solution. We like Dan a lot; he’s been a real good, young player for us. The hard part is trying to find what’s fair for player and for club. He’s only played 76 games, but he’s a real important part of our team. We’ll get him done.”

I don't think many are worried because there hasn't been a single bad thing rumored/said about how there negotiation are going, and everyone (including DD) are saying he will be signed by training camp. This isn't a Columbus/Ryan Johansen situation........*knock on wood*

What scares me is how Holland went about, and re-signed both Quincey, and Cleary like it was no big deal, but now this is starting to drag on.

Sure - so far we've read nothing but positive things pertaining to the negotiations - however you'd think that DD would've been inked a few weeks, or more ago.

I hope Holland isn't 'low balling' DD - only to piss him off, and wanting to be traded...I know that's unlikely, but the way things have been going with the Wings - nothing would surprise me.

Edited by F.Michael, 04 September 2014 - 06:36 AM.

#159 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:09 AM

The ufa players sign quicker because anyone can offer them a deal. There's a lot less urgency for an RFA.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#160 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:08 AM

The ufa players sign quicker because anyone can offer them a deal. There's a lot less urgency for an RFA.

Nevertheless - DD not being signed, and just days away from the start of camp makes me think the 2 sides aren't close.