• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeonardSankar

Is Jimmy Our Playoff Goalie?

Rate this topic

Wow... how quickly do people forget he was fantastic against the Canadiens & Hawks... Yes he struggled a little in his last two but come on people, he will be fine.

Also, in the 2013 playoffs he was a beast, he was the reason we almost made the conf finals... Last year, I don't blame him at all, we couldn't score.

Dude IMO is still big time

yes he's obviously our guy however I would love to know the Wings plans overall when it comes to goaltending....

jimmy is here for another 4 years, will mrazek be his backup for that amount of time? seems odd for such a young tender to play 20 games per year.

or do they trade jimmy and ride an inexperienced goalie with an experienced back up?

or do they trade mrazek since I'm sure he could net a good return?

yes he's obviously our guy however I would love to know the Wings plans overall when it comes to goaltending....

jimmy is here for another 4 years, will mrazek be his backup for that amount of time? seems odd for such a young tender to play 20 games per year.

or do they trade jimmy and ride an inexperienced goalie with an experienced back up?

or do they trade mrazek since I'm sure he could net a good return?

Mrazek is not getting traded. If anyone goes, it'll be Howard in the next couple years if Mrazek proves capable of becoming the starter. And even that has more to do with cap implications than anything and the fact the Howard would be our best trade asset we've had in awhile.

But for now, come on, yes, absolutely Howard is our playoff goalie. He still has something to prove in the playoffs for sure, but it's kneejerk as ever to think he's not capable of rising to the challenge this year.

this thread sounds entirely too familiar. Apparently a goalie isn't allowed to have a couple bad games after missing over a month of hockey. Trade Jimmy for a 7th rounder and bring up that ahl goalie that lets in 4+ goals every game and roll with that

Howard will start the next two years at least, mraz will start backup duties next season.

After that, they'll split time for a year.. riding the hot goalie.

Then consider trading howard during/after that season when he has one year left on his contract.

That's what I think anyway.. depending on the wings' cap situation and if Mraz develops like he's expected to.

To answer the original question though, yes. obviously howard is our playoff goalie.

He's had a couple rough games.. it happens to all goalies; especially ones coming off of injury.

There's plenty of time for him to get hot before playoffs start.

Wow... how quickly do people forget he was fantastic against the Canadiens & Hawks... Yes he struggled a little in his last two but come on people, he will be fine.

Also, in the 2013 playoffs he was a beast, he was the reason we almost made the conf finals... Last year, I don't blame him at all, we couldn't score.

Dude IMO is still big time

Agreed.....and don't forget, he didn't even play last year after like game 2.or 3 because of injury. He's our guy this year.

He'll start in the playoffs this year, and yes he does have something to prove in the playoffs. But that means he has to actually go out and prove it, and he's running out of time to do that. How much longer is he going to get?

I understand that scoring has been an issue for us in the playoffs, but isn't it like that with everybody? That time of year all the games tighten up. I mean sure, it's probably right to say "we can't expect him to hold the other team to 1 or 2 goals a game". I don't have a problem with that.

But the same thing is probably being said by the other team about their goalie. And then they actually do it. Whether they do it because of great goaltending, better defense, or opponents in a scoring slump, can be debated. But in the end they end up allowing very few goals.

I want to do well in the playoffs and compete for cups. If Howard (and the team) can do that while he's in. GREAT! I would love that! If he can't, and we have a player ready to step up to the challenge who gives us a better chance, then that player should play. And that goes for all positions.

There's no question he's gonna be the guy. Is it a good thing? His performance in the playoffs will decide. I just hope it isn't a case like 2012 where Jimmy gets hurt, comes back and just can't find his game. We're gonna need him to steal a few if we go up against Price/Bishop.

There's no question he's gonna be the guy. Is it a good thing? His performance in the playoffs will decide. I just hope it isn't a case like 2012 where Jimmy gets hurt, comes back and just can't find his game. We're gonna need him to steal a few if we go up against Price/Bishop.

Speaking of bishop, has anyone seen his new mask yet?

It glows in the dark.

Which I don't fully understand.

This is such a debatable issue and, for good reason. There are those who support Jimmy and simply cannot understand why fans hate on him so much and then, on the flip side, there seem to be those who want Jimmy gone. Me- I am kind of in between. In the 2013 playoffs there is no doubt that Jimmy was a big reason for the Wings success. I mean we nearly made it to the conference finals. Jimmy has the ability to steal us games, see Chicago for instance. There is no doubt he is a good goalie. But what separates him from guys like Lunquivst, like it or not, is that he doesn't win the games that matter.

He has been our starter in the playoffs since 2010. Since then we have not made it past the 2nd round. Lets look at the playoffs since 2010:

2010: Lost in the 2nd round to the Sharks in 5 games. If memory serves me correctly, we were dominating game 3 of this series until Jimmy let it an awful goal by Heatly and we ended up losing that game and ultimately the series In that series, he let in quite a few soft goals.

2011: Lost in the 2nd round to the Sharks in 7 games. Jimmy was significantly better in these playoffs and cannot be faulted for losing this series We simply did not have enough guys going.

2012: 1st round loss to Nashville in 5 games. Embarssing series by the entire team. Unfortunate that this was Nick Lidstrom's last season. Jimmy was not very good as with the rest of the team.

Note for these 3 seasons, JImmy had excellent Dmen and still never got past the second round, like it or not he didn't.

2013: 2nd round loss to the Hawks in 7 games. Great playoffs by Jimmy.

2014: 1st round loss to Boston in 5 games. Jimmy did not play much, but was good in game 1 but was not good in game 2.

Now it is hard to assess on Jimmy in last year's playoffs but I can say I felt much more confident with Gus in net. As I said, I don't dislike Jimmy. He is a good goalie- not great. He is a team player, he never complains and is not afraid to get rough. All good qualities. BUT, he has never gotten us past the 2nd round in 4 years like it or not. Now I am not saying we need to get rid of him. But what I am saying is that I think this is going to be an important playoffs for him. Not necessarily whether we win the Cup or not but if he gives up bad goals at bad times, then I think the team might look at changes down the road. I am not basing this off of his last couple games because he just came back from injury and we all know he is far better than that. Realistically, however, this is a very important playoffs for Jimmy Howard in my opinion.

This is such a debatable issue and, for good reason. There are those who support Jimmy and simply cannot understand why fans hate on him so much and then, on the flip side, there seem to be those who want Jimmy gone. Me- I am kind of in between. In the 2013 playoffs there is no doubt that Jimmy was a big reason for the Wings success. I mean we nearly made it to the conference finals. Jimmy has the ability to steal us games, see Chicago for instance. There is no doubt he is a good goalie. But what separates him from guys like Lunquivst, like it or not, is that he doesn't win the games that matter.

He has been our starter in the playoffs since 2010. Since then we have not made it past the 2nd round. Lets look at the playoffs since 2010:

2010: Lost in the 2nd round to the Sharks in 5 games. If memory serves me correctly, we were dominating game 3 of this series until Jimmy let it an awful goal by Heatly and we ended up losing that game and ultimately the series In that series, he let in quite a few soft goals.

2011: Lost in the 2nd round to the Sharks in 7 games. Jimmy was significantly better in these playoffs and cannot be faulted for losing this series We simply did not have enough guys going.

2012: 1st round loss to Nashville in 5 games. Embarssing series by the entire team. Unfortunate that this was Nick Lidstrom's last season. Jimmy was not very good as with the rest of the team.

Note for these 3 seasons, JImmy had excellent Dmen and still never got past the second round, like it or not he didn't.

2013: 2nd round loss to the Hawks in 7 games. Great playoffs by Jimmy.

2014: 1st round loss to Boston in 5 games. Jimmy did not play much, but was good in game 1 but was not good in game 2.

Now it is hard to assess on Jimmy in last year's playoffs but I can say I felt much more confident with Gus in net. As I said, I don't dislike Jimmy. He is a good goalie- not great. He is a team player, he never complains and is not afraid to get rough. All good qualities. BUT, he has never gotten us past the 2nd round in 4 years like it or not. Now I am not saying we need to get rid of him. But what I am saying is that I think this is going to be an important playoffs for him. Not necessarily whether we win the Cup or not but if he gives up bad goals at bad times, then I think the team might look at changes down the road. I am not basing this off of his last couple games because he just came back from injury and we all know he is far better than that. Realistically, however, this is a very important playoffs for Jimmy Howard in my opinion.

The teams around Jim were much weaker then. If he flops in the PO's this year, I might be inclined to agree. But not until then.