• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Babcock granted permission to talk to other teams

Rate this topic

Maybe that girl is cute, has a nice smile, shares the same interest as he does, gets him a beer & rubs his back after some lovin?

Nuthin is worse than finding out the new girl isn't in the same league as the old.

From my understanding - it's the 3rd round pick for 3 seasons (3 picks in all).

I believe it's one third round pick in any of the next three drafts.. the team signing babs would get to choose.

Wings GM Ken Holland says compensation draft pick for Mike Babcock would be at other team's choice - one time within frame of next 3 years.

Helene St. James (@HeleneStJames) May 8, 2015

Edited by amato

You hope. We have no idea if that is who they'll get even though I hope they do.

Agreed. I really do believe Blashill is the overwhelming favorite to get the job though if/when Babs leaves. There's a reason they aren't letting anyone talk to Blashill yet.

Helene St. James ✔@HeleneStJames

Ken Holland not granting NHL teams permission to talk to Jeff Blashill. Definite candidate for Red Wings if Babcock leaves.

12:17 PM - 8 May 2015

Not necessarily a lock but, you gotta think blashill would be the favorite..

All the best Babcock, his job got harder each and every year. Will be interesting to see what Blashill can do...Hopefully Holland provides him with a better team otherwise the ever so important streak will end. Get your cup number two Babcock

Unless there's another "positive surprise" in your future.

I guess it all depends on how you view our kids. If you are a fan of Nyquist, Tatar, Juroco, Mrazek, Sproul, Ouelette, Marchenko, DD, Smith, AA, Pulkinen, Mantha, Larkin etc.its obvious why he would want to come back. If you think these kids are nothing special, then I see why people think he wouldn't. Personally, I'm excited for our future.

It all depends on how "he" views our kids. Whether you're excited about them or I'm not is irrelevant.

Babcock will have to decide whether he wants to coach young established stars or guys who may/may not become stars.

Maybe that girl is cute, has a nice smile, shares the same interest as he does, gets him a beer & rubs his back after some lovin?

Nuthin is worse than finding out the new girl isn't in the same league as the old.

Somehow, I don't think our roster fits this description. ;)

Besides, a coach of his caliber likes challenges. The challenge will likely be to win elsewhere than to attempt to bring this team back to prominence.

Blashill or Babs I won't lose any sleep over who our coach is

Then we can all "shock" the hockey world yet again when a rookie coach leads us to the playoffs

It's not that easy. You're comparing an NHL coaching artist to a guy with zero NHL head coaching experience. Blashill is great but I still have skepticism about whether he can be the same Blashill at an NHL level. It's a whole different style and competition.

----

Babs did make it pretty clear in his previous interview that anytime he left for a new place, there was always a better place to go to. And he also mentioned that this time around, there ISN'T a better job. I think he just wants to see if it's true. And if it isn't he will probably be heading out of Detroit.

Edited by kickazz

@HeleneStJames: For those who think Babcock a goner, heed this from Mike Babcock: "My family loves Detroit. It's way easier for my family to stay here."

@HeleneStJames: Mike Babcock: "My kids are going away, but they want to come back to Detroit on Thanksgiving. They have ties here. Easier for them if stay."

@HeleneStJames: For those who think Babcock a goner, heed this from Mike Babcock: "My family loves Detroit. It's way easier for my family to stay here."

@HeleneStJames: Mike Babcock: "My kids are going away, but they want to come back to Detroit on Thanksgiving. They have ties here. Easier for them if stay."

Those could just be statements to hush up people up. He might just have true intentions to leave but saying what he can to not make a big deal out of the situation.

Edited by kickazz

Of course he could just be saying that. He could also *not* just be saying that. My point is that speculation based on bones that are getting thrown to the media is futile. Maybe he'll leave. Maybe he'll stay. We won't know until we know. I'm not hanging my hat on anything that's said until that statement is "Mike Babcock has/has not re-signed with Detroit."

Agree that this is both a classy move and a wise one on Holland's part .. and everyone's interest - teams and other unemployed coaches. No sense in holding onto Babs till end of June, if he decides to go, we get a 3rd round pick that we can turn into a Lidstrom or something ;) . Or, if we held on till Jun, all the other good candidates may have found a team already.

Go ahead and see if grass is greener on the other side. I don't mind a coaching change. I don't mind if he returns. There's a part of me that wants to see a change but I better be careful what I wish for.

Do you think this makes Rutherford think twice about going on record to keep Johnson or does he call Babs anyways and see if he's interested. I thought front runners for the Babs lottery would be Pitts and Edmonton. No way to Toronto or SJ (disaster of management team).

Edited by RedWingsRox

Guest Playmaker

I have to say, he's sending a lot of mixed messages. Don't want to be GM. No better job than Detroit. Family loves it here. Money is not the issue. Let me go look somewhere else. I think many coaches and athletes don't realize how good they have it with the fans and the media in Detroit until they leave.

St. Louis seems a tempting location for him, if they clear out Hitch in time. Stillman has no issue with putting the money in for his Blues. The media is rather easy in St. Louis and team is loaded with talent, but is in desperate need of a culture change. Babcock with a move or two could make a strong regular season team into a much deadlier playoff team.

Edited by STL-Wings

St. Louis seems a tempting location for him, if they clear out Hitch in time. Stillman has no issue with putting the money in for his Blues. The media is rather easy in St. Louis and team is loaded with talent, but is in desperate need of a culture change. Babcock with a move or two could make a strong regular season team into a much deadlier playoff team.

Why change one 'cock' with another one? ... sorry couldn't resist.

Hitch is a good friend of Babs, I wonder if that has any bearing on it, knowing that if you say yes, your friend will be unemployed. Don't know if Hitch's job is secure or on thin ice but yah, St. Louis is way too much talent to be one and done. They need goalie but that's a problem that a coach cannot rectify or solve.

Edited by RedWingsRox

I dont think Babs would go there if it meant his buddy would be forced out.

I have to say, he's sending a lot of mixed messages. Don't want to be GM. No better job than Detroit. Family loves it here. Money is not the issue. Let me go look somewhere else. I think many coaches and athletes don't realize how good they have it with the fans and the media in Detroit until they leave.

I agree, he is a bit all over the place. Oh well.

Every single free agent, prior to leaving a place, talks about how great it is, and how much they love it, and how it's not about the money it's about winning, and how no decisions have been made...blah, blah, blah.

Anybody remember Max Scherzer, or Ndamukong Suh, or Valtteri Filppula?

It's bulls***. He's as good as gone. And it's almost certainly about the money. He probably wants a bunch of it. And the organization probably doesn't think he's worth it given the team's performances over the last 5 or 6 years.

How would Hitchcock fare in Detroit? Or is Blashill definitely the coach if Babcock leaves?

I think Hitch would fare about as well as Babs has lately. He's a very similar coach. And yeah, my money would be on Blash. He's our John Cooper. He's had considerable success with the guys who will be the future of our organization, and he's been excellent at every level he's coached at. I don't see why you'd pick anyone else, but that's just me.

Edit: If not Blash, I'd give Paul Heyman a shot. He knows what it takes to manage a champion.

Edited by kipwinger

we can trade him for picks now right? If he wants to leave-which appears to be the case, lets get something back!

I was thinking the same thing, maybe we can get a draft pick for him.