• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Babcock granted permission to talk to other teams

Rate this topic

If I'm Babcock and my choices are oilers, leafs, sabres, flyers, without a doubt i'm choosing the oilers.

With their young talent they're bound to turn things around (even thouugh recent history has suggested otherwise. Add to that, McDavid and a new GM who can draft. I think he'd be able to whip their defensive game into shape and they could turn things around. Then he could be a hero right close to his hometown. That would be a storyline that would be very tempting.

Leafs and Sabres are too far down the rebuilding hole. Flyers have a young core but there's been so many bad moves from their management that it would turn me off. I know Holmgren was responsible for most of them and he's now promoted, but he's still there and they're still stuck with Lecavalier. Hextall is unproven as an NHL GM. So far, the Hartnell trade was a bit of a head-scratcher for me though he did have a rough 12-13 and I don't know how Umberger has been for them.

Then again, if I'm Babcock, I'd never leave the Wings,

Buffalo isn't far behind Edmonton, they do have some great prosepcts but for sure could need goaltending help and a winger for Eichel. But from all the "bottom " teams Buffalo and Edmonton would make a lot more sense than Toronto if the offer is close.

Sure, IF he can win a cup in Toronto Babcock will be godlike but how many coaches, GMs were intrigued by that just to see their career go down ? Toronto is a rebuilding team that and for sure behind Buffalo and Edmonton.

If I'm Babcock and my choices are oilers, leafs, sabres, flyers, without a doubt i'm choosing the oilers.

With their young talent they're bound to turn things around (even thouugh recent history has suggested otherwise. Add to that, McDavid and a new GM who can draft. I think he'd be able to whip their defensive game into shape and they could turn things around. Then he could be a hero right close to his hometown. That would be a storyline that would be very tempting.

Leafs and Sabres are too far down the rebuilding hole. Flyers have a young core but there's been so many bad moves from their management that it would turn me off. I know Holmgren was responsible for most of them and he's now promoted, but he's still there and they're still stuck with Lecavalier. Hextall is unproven as an NHL GM. So far, the Hartnell trade was a bit of a head-scratcher for me though he did have a rough 12-13 and I don't know how Umberger has been for them.

Then again, if I'm Babcock, I'd never leave the Wings,

I'm liking Edmonton's chances as well. His comments after the Game 7 loss showed some prospect envy.

Babs and his wife are both from nearby Saskatchewan, and have gone back every summer for over 20 years.

They're a front runner in this one for sure.

Edmonton doesn't need a $5m/yr Babcock when they can get McLellan for say $2.5m/yr ... end result won't be much different.

I don't get the money argument. Coaches don't count against the cap. When you're paying 70+ million for players you know they've got the extra money. Anyway, they're an organization under great scrutiny by the media and fans - they wouldn't scrimp to turn it around. Just Babcock's name would bring them some much needed good publicity.

I don't get the money argument. Coaches don't count against the cap. When you're paying 70+ million for players you know they've got the extra money. Anyway, they're an organization under great scrutiny by the media and fans - they wouldn't scrimp to turn it around. Just Babcock's name would bring them some much needed good publicity.

You don't think even rich people would rather save $2.5m/yr over 5 years if the bottom line is about the same in terms of their profit? How is Babs going to put that many more butts in the seats?

Rich people got that way cuz they're generally cheap *****s. OK, that's a bit of an extreme stereotype but generally true.

Here as in the u.s.?

I was under the impression that they were higher in Canada, but honestly with that amount of money, I don't know how much he'd owe...

It was a statement in an article I saw, I'll try to find it.

Pretty sure the taxes in the U.S are higher. If he's making 5 mill it could be up to 40% in the U.S and in Canada I think it would be around 30%. Not too sure though, just an estimate. If anyone has the exact numbers please share.

Pretty sure the taxes in the U.S are higher. If he's making 5 mill it could be up to 40% in the U.S and in Canada I think it would be around 30%. Not too sure though, just an estimate. If anyone has the exact numbers please share.

Holy hell.

Ha.

I thought Canada increased the cap %of taxes if you made more than a couple hundred thousand.

My gfs got a bunch of family in canada and they said something about it being around 50% after a certain point.

(Surprisingly, I was drinking when it was brought up so I could be completely wrong.)

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

Holy hell.

Ha.

I thought Canada increased the cap %of taxes if you made more than a couple hundred thousand.

My gfs got a bunch of family in canada and they said something about it being around 50% after a certain point.

(Surprisingly, I was drinking when it was brought up so I could be completely wrong.)

I'm pretty sure this is right.

Here as in the u.s.?

I was under the impression that they were higher in Canada, but honestly with that amount of money, I don't know how much he'd owe...

It was a statement in an article I saw, I'll try to find it.

Canada. The tax rates in Canada are pathetic. The tax brackets for higher wages are absolutely insane, hence why when I graduate with my engineering degree I wanna move down south. Sur every country has its problems, but I don't want to end up in a situation where I am paying out nearly half my salary in taxes. It's horses***.

You don't think even rich people would rather save $2.5m/yr over 5 years if the bottom line is about the same in terms of their profit? How is Babs going to put that many more butts in the seats?

Rich people got that way cuz they're generally cheap *****s. OK, that's a bit of an extreme stereotype but generally true.

It wouldn't be butts in the seats (I think The Oilers sell out even though they're at the bottom) It would be trying to keep their jobs and respond to the ire of the public. Also, They surely want a taste of the money that a playoff run would bring in. Not to mention that a successful team brings in more for merchandise. With that, they would easily make back the 2.5 million extra. Now I'm not saying a less expensive option couldn't get them to the playoffs. Babs would probably be the safest bet.

Canada. The tax rates in Canada are pathetic. The tax brackets for higher wages are absolutely insane, hence why when I graduate with my engineering degree I wanna move down south. Sur every country has its problems, but I don't want to end up in a situation where I am paying out nearly half my salary in taxes. It's horses***.

Yep, I get screwed every year by them taking a ridiculous amount of taxes. I basically lose 500 - 600 dollars every pay not including my on call / overtime pay.

My sisters ex boyfriend lives comfortably on welfare and playing video games all day. That's how messed up taxes are in Canada, we pay for those people to do that.

Edited by darkmanx

What???!!!! Can you give me step-by-step, very detailed instructions on how he pulls this off? Just out of ....curiosity

That's pretty damn easy, but it might not work for you personally, 'cause you may not be satisfied with living standard 'guaranteed' by welfare. But you'd be amazed how many people very well will be. And these are voting individuals... :(

Holy cow...

Another person who dares to ask whether or not the hype surrounding Babcock isn't overblown to the point of absurdity. Exactly one sports reporter, in two countries, actually took the time to sit down and determine (rather than just repeat over and over) whether Babcock is worth all the fuss.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/is-mike-babcock-really-the-best-coach-in-hockey-how-do-we-know/article24380450/

Holy cow...

Another person who dares to ask whether or not the hype surrounding Babcock isn't overblown to the point of absurdity. Exactly one sports reporter, in two countries, actually took the time to sit down and determine (rather than just repeat over and over) whether Babcock is worth all the fuss.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/is-mike-babcock-really-the-best-coach-in-hockey-how-do-we-know/article24380450/

It's going to be awesome when he trolls everyone and signs with a KHL team.