• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Dylan Larkin on opening night roster

Rate this topic

I was kind of hoping he'd be sent down and have a great season in GR, but maybe that's just me being overly cautious about his development, as I'm extremely excited for this kid. But if he's truly NHL ready and makes the team better, then awesome. Going to be exciting regardless.

I know a lot of people have been saying lately how they'd like to see him sent down and develop there and that's understandable. Personally though, I think this was the right decision and I hope he gets to stay. My reason for this is that I like the idea that he can learn from Pavs and Hank before they are gone - what better centers to learn from???

Very happy for Larkin. He's going to have a long and fantastic Detroit Red Wing career.

I predict he'll be sent down as soon as A) he struggles, B) Datsyuk is healthy.

I agree with this. I think he and the Wings know that this is probably temporary and if he wants to stay he's going to have to blow people away. He has about a month to do that and it'll be fun to see if he can.

He earned this. It's great to see the best players playing (except Andersson might be in the starting line-up which is insane) but it's a welcome change. Will he stay all year? Probably not. But the situation we're in with no Pav and Helm, it's the right decision.

Won't be surprised if he does end up being put with Zetterberg when it comes to game day.

A lot of our roster has been groomed under Hank. Hudler, Filpula and now Nyquist to name a few.

I think the combination should workout fine and be in Larkin's favor as far as his development is concerned. I just hope he plays center.

I'm very happy for him, guy had such an amazing camp but on the same token I'm kinda sad in terms of (maybe) the Wings are rushing him. Pre-season is one thing but this week it's go time and would have prefered to see him center the Mantha line in GR. Anyhow I guess it's only temporally till Pasha is back having him center the 2 line would be a lot to ask out of Larkin so soon but you never know.

As far as him being the next face of the franchise I think it will be between Larkin & DannyD I mean when was the last time the 2 faces of this franchise were all from michigan and probably the best center and defender of the team in the future? That's so freaking cool, I may think Holland has lost his fire and question how his builds the team in a very softish way but him and the help of our perfect human really nailed the Dekeyser signing.

Its about time. Tired of sitting on talent and depending on half baked alternatives that just aren't that impressive. Give em hell Larkin!!! Maybe we'll see other young guys before the season is over (Athanasiou)

I'll be his biggest fan all year long!!

I will say, watching NHL network and seeing players you want to DVR... And it was Eichel and Larkin....

No Larkin may never be who Eichel is, but to get a prospect like Larkin when we did and is on the same radar as Eichel is exciting.

I'm not trying to get too excited but it's hard not to, he is ready and for him to leap frog our system the way we run it is exciting.

I do understand the Jurco worries, but this isn't Jurco... Larkin has already shown more speed and drive then Jurco on my mind. Jurco was famous for YouTube stick handling videos and I believe can be a good player for us, but Larkin surpassed rookie records of Toews, Parise, Kessel, and so on... It's not the same scenario.

I feel he is the player that feeds on the pressure and being put in a situation he seems underwhelming in and owns it...

WJC, Michigan, he excels and exceeds, he seems to love the pressure...

Sorry for the long message, but Al aboard the Hype train

Edited by Crashnburnluder

I'll obviously be rooting for the kid, and I'd love nothing more than to see him light it up and never play another game in the American League again. There's no doubt he's a star in the making, but he only turned 19 just a few months ago and has only played 6 games of pro hockey. I just would have preferred to see him start this season in Grand Rapids, and if he tore s*** up down there after a few months, then make the decision to call him up.

We have a ton of forward depth, even with Datsyuk and Helm out of the lineup, but this all but ensures that one or possibly both of Jurco and Pulkkinen will be out of the lineup on opening night, and that, I'm not okay with. I would rather have seen Zetterberg center the top line, Richards the second, Sheahan the third, and Glendening the forth, with Larkin centering the top line in Grand Rapids. There's no need for a fill-in center while Datsyuk is out, with those 4 guys down the middle. Larkin needs to be playing center, and they better not be planning on playing him on the wing like it has appeared in practices. We have enough healthy centers and enough wingers as well, with Abdelkader, Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Pulkkinen and Franzen in the top 9, and Miller, Ferraro and Andersson on the forth line. Helm will also be within the mix as soon as he's healthy, which could be as soon as opening night.

There is no need to rush this kid. And what about a guy like Athanasiou, who has been with the organization two years longer than Larkin, and arguably outplayed him in preseason? I'm not saying Andreas should have necessarily been on the team over Larkin, but I just think both should have started in Grand Rapids, with the amount of depth we have up front in Detroit...

Anyway, good luck Dylan, I hope you prove me wrong, stick with the big club, and are in the Calder conversation at the end of the season...

I too do not want to see Jurco or Pulk sit. You'd have to figure Cleary and Andy would sit, but that still leaves one extra forward. I am so happy and excited that Dylan has made the club, but you're right, I also want to see the other two excel and given the chance. Maybe there will be someone else who will be sitting instead? I guess it's always a possibility...

Going back to my question about trade bait. I just meant that after you send Cleary and assumedly Andy to waivers, if you want to still keep Dylan here, do you just waive another of you more talented players and lose him for free or do you try to trade and get some return? It's going to be tough.