• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kliq

Dustin Brown losing captaincy

Rate this topic

Well Brown among other things is one of the biggest divers in the league. He really shouldn't be a captain leading the way unless it's meant to show the players how to dive.

I can't stand divers. I would take the C away for that forsure. I dont follow the kings. I really wish the Red Wings would move nyquist also. He is embarrassing the way he dives all the time.

Well I don't think he got stripped for being a diver. But with guys like Kopitar and Doughty on that roster I'm sure it was an easy choice. This team missed the playoffs last year and got embarrassed this year. I guess they are much quicker to make their moves rather than let things get from bad to worse.

I like the Kings, they're my second favorite team since I started watching more around the league hockey around 8-10 years ago (I know, small sample size but whatever, I like their style of play).. And I'm more surprised it took so long than I am that they did it. Hopefully they at least had a civil conversation with the guy but he has been getting worse and worse each year it seems.

Kopitar will probably get it after that big contract, but Doughty would be good too.

Wonder if Brown has, or will request a trade?

Unless it was a request made by Brown (stepping down), or if there were some issues in the locker room - removing the 'C' is a questionable action to take, and IMHO a s***ty thing to do.

He's being paid over $5M a year for a long time and hasn't produced more than 30 pts since the 2011-2012 season. How is a captain underperforming like that suppose to go in a locker room and tell other people they need to step up? He's not a former legend past his prime. The captain doesn't have to be your best player but you can't have one like that.

Edited by BadgerBob

I think the captain should be the captain until he changes teams, retires, voluntarily gives it up, or does something really stupid off the ice like a couple teammates of his have that calls his character into question. I do understand the circumstances here in that he's underperforming and maybe not acting like a captain should, but it's not going to help his confidence losing the "C", and that's something they should take into consideration when he's signed for another six years at $5 million+ and they need him to improve. They don't need another Mike Richards. Then again, he may have already been warned the change might be coming and did nothing to help his case. Who knows. Hopefully it doesn't turn into another case of passing the "C" around between three or four guys a bunch of times ala SJ.

Edited by chaps80

They took it from a couple others as well. Who is their captain now anyways? Pavelski? Burns?

Pavelski.

Their example does suggest that stripping the captaincy works. I agree with others that it is a little unseemly, though.

LA is in a tough spot since Brown has a 5.875 caphit for 6 more years and has been around 28 pts for the last 4 years! They pretty much have to get him to change or that is big problem. I didn't know those stats before I looked it up, but with that in mind it makes total sense.

I could see Gaborik's 4.875 for the next 5 years also being a problem since he's continued to deal with injury and only had 22 pts.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

The problem is that in the "old days" if a team wasnt happy with their captain, they could just trade him and never have to worry about this even being an issue. There always seemed to be a team willing to bite on a player like Brown. Now in the cap era, teams just wont take that chance as he is not worth the cap hit.

My first reaction was that this was a classless move by the Kings, but I have changed my mind as I think I was wrong. You have to do what is best for the team overall, and if you feel the guy is not the person to lead your team, you can't just leave things be for 6 more years.

Pavelski.

Their example does suggest that stripping the captaincy works.

Eh, I'm not so sure. I mean, yeah, if there's a bad situation then maybe you kind of have to switch captains and maybe that does end up having a positive effect on the team -- and maybe that's what we're seeing with this Sharks team. But, honestly, I don't think the Sharks' success this season should be viewed as compelling evidence that "changing your captain works (i.e. dramatically improves your team)." They stripped Marleau of the captaincy years ago and it didn't seem to help them in any meaningful way. The bottom line, for me, is that the Sharks finally put it all together this season. They're as deep and balanced and motivated and imposing as any team in the league and -- speaking of changes in the leadership group -- they have a new voice behind the bench who seems to be a great fit.

Eh, I'm not so sure. I mean, yeah, if there's a bad situation then maybe you kind of have to switch captains and maybe that does end up having a positive effect on the team -- and maybe that's what we're seeing with this Sharks team. But, honestly, I don't think the Sharks' success this season should be viewed as compelling evidence that "changing your captain works (i.e. dramatically improves your team)." They stripped Marleau of the captaincy years ago and it didn't seem to help them in any meaningful way. The bottom line, for me, is that the Sharks finally put it all together this season. They're as deep and balanced and motivated and imposing as any team in the league and -- speaking of changes in the leadership group -- they have a new voice behind the bench who seems to be a great fit.

I didn't mean "it works" in the sense that it would dramatically improve the team. I've always thought that stripping the captaincy from a player would just create a very awkward situation in the dressing room - leaving one player dejected and maybe creating sympathetic resentment against management or a coach. I should have said more that their example shows that changing captains doesn't ruin the dynamic of a team and they can move on.

Maybe it's just specific to the San Jose situation, though, since they stripped it from Marleau and Thornton and therefore it didn't seem as big a deal. In other team's situations, I could see a player demanding a trade or other internal problems.

I didn't mean "it works" in the sense that it would dramatically improve the team. I've always thought that stripping the captaincy from a player would just create a very awkward situation in the dressing room - leaving one player dejected and maybe creating sympathetic resentment against management or a coach. I should have said more that their example shows that changing captains doesn't ruin the dynamic of a team and they can move on.

Maybe it's just specific to the San Jose situation, though, since they stripped it from Marleau and Thornton and therefore it didn't seem as big a deal. In other team's situations, I could see a player demanding a trade or other internal problems.

I think it would depend on how close the room is.

If I had lost the captaincy I would be disappointed as well. However, if say my best friend was given it instead. I would be genuinely happy for him and wouldn't have any awkwardness. If a teammate whom you're not really close with was given it, it would be awkward...

I think this is all about sending a message to a team that's under performed the last two years. Its an easy way for team management to show that they're unhappy with the outcome without doing something dumb like tearing apart a competitive team or firing an excellent coach.