• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

joesuffP

Jeff Blashill

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, e_prime said:

...and again, I will reiterate:  If you are a coach and you put forth a game plan to win games, and you expect results and when you are not getting them, you continue to play them, you ARE part of the problem.  Mediocre roster or not. Systems or not. Call their asses out for poor play.  Bench them.  Coach the damn team.

The thing is, we kind of are getting the results we should probably expect with our roster. Overall at least.

Maybe there's some merit to the Tortarella-style coaching, but I don't think so. I would hope Blashill is doing whatever talking is needed in the locker room, and that's where I think it belongs. Of course I don't know if he is or not, or if he is that whatever he's saying is getting through. Like I said, he might be a mediocre (or even bad) coach, and I can understand why some people might think so. But I think it's a bit early to make that determination. (For us fans at least. Someone with knowledge of what's going on behind closed doors probably has a better idea.)

Bottom line for me so far is last year we finished more or less right around where we expected to. And so far this year more of the same. The longer things go with this poor possession, lack of offense, and players under-performing the more likely I am to change my opinion. But for now I'm inclined to believe that Blashill isn't really the problem. 

We have 24 games from now till the end of the year, and with our current play I can see us only winning 6 of these. Thus meaning the playoffs will be beyond us and the streak ended. We will have a new coach in place for 2017, and hopefully a new outlook on how to get the best from the roster we have. 

4 minutes ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

We have 24 games from now till the end of the year, and with our current play I can see us only winning 6 of these. Thus meaning the playoffs will be beyond us and the streak ended. We will have a new coach in place for 2017, and hopefully a new outlook on how to get the best from the roster we have. 

Hmmm I'm glad I don't think like you.

47 minutes ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

Hmmm I'm glad I don't think like you.

Considering Blash sticks with the same lineup despite not winning in 5 games, I don't think that being a basement team by the end of the year is all that far fetched. 

But at least when the playoff streak ends, the team can build to become a contender rather than build to keep a playoff streak alive. 

2 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

But at least when the playoff streak ends, the team can build to become a contender rather than build to keep a playoff streak alive. 

Scary thing is, I'm not sure the end of the streak would change much/anything. I fear The Plan only changes if we really, truly, unequivocally suck for a whole season and the Leafs and Sabres and Senators start pitying us. (And, yeah, judging by how things are going thus far, this might be that season. I guess we'll see! ...meh...)

3 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Considering Blash sticks with the same lineup despite not winning in 5 games, I don't think that being a basement team by the end of the year is all that far fetched. 

Good luck with that with studs like Glendening, Abdelkader, Ericsson, and Helm signed to multi-year deals.

12 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Good luck with that with studs like Glendening, Abdelkader, Ericsson, and Helm signed to multi-year deals.

If your argument is that these players are not good, how does being on the team a few more years interfere with our plan to build a contender the right way (draft)? 

19 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Helm and Abby will be the type of leadership you need when you have a young, rebuilding team. disney.com's contract doesn't hurt the team. The only trash contract is Ericsson's. Even that won't be an issue by the time this team is a cup contender again. 

14 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Paying guys too much for too long limits flexibility.  flexibility is good, especially when rebuilding.  Those deals are just part of the overall problem.

Helm and Abby have value. Those contracts can be moved at any time. We're def stuck with the other two, though. I can't argue in favor of those deals what so ever. 

40 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Paying guys too much for too long limits flexibility.  flexibility is good, especially when rebuilding.  Those deals are just part of the overall problem.

The only way we should re-build is through the draft. We lack high-end talent, and we like high-end prospects. This is the result of managing a team with the goal of making the playoffs every year, and refusing to take 1 step back to take 2 steps forward. I literally cringe when we sign a Brad Richards or a Tomas Vanek, because I know those players were Holland's last piece - of a 1 piece away team - from making the playoffs, not winning the cup.

The type of re-build I think we are looking at involves several years, and by the time you have to pay any of those players any significant money - most of our bad contracts will be gone.

Disagree with a rebuild? In 5 years from now, what franchise talent will we have on this team? Is Dylan Larkin that guy - I don't know.  Mrazek could be, but are any of our defencemen? Probably not.

Who cares about "the streak" when all of our energy is spent on extending it? 

Helm and Abby have value. Those contracts can be moved at any time. We're def stuck with the other two, though. I can't argue in favor of those deals what so ever. 

If you really believe that I have a wonderful little tropical getaway in the Yukon in trying to sell. You interested?

I don't dislike them, I dislike their deals. Sign them for 2 or three years or at least a million less per year for a long term deal. The goal for a longer deal is generally to get the cap hit down, not make sure average players are taken care of financially.

15 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

I don't dislike them, I dislike their deals. Sign them for 2 or three years or at least a million less per year for a long term deal. The goal for a longer deal is generally to get the cap hit down, not make sure average players are taken care of financially.

We all know your thoughts on this topic Dicke. I dont see the need to re-visit this convo every single thread. This is a thread about Jeff Blashill, you dont need to bring it up again for the 1000th time.

In other breaking news, Lefty doesnt like Franzen and Bill/shocky/Jonus dont like Drew Miller.

1 hour ago, DickieDunn said:

If you really believe that I have a wonderful little tropical getaway in the Yukon in trying to sell. You interested?

You don't need to act condescending just because someone has a difference of opinion. Especially when you are wrong.

59 minutes ago, kliq said:

We all know your thoughts on this topic Dicke. I dont see the need to re-visit this convo every single thread. This is a thread about Jeff Blashill, you dont need to bring it up again for the 1000th time.

In other breaking news, Lefty doesnt like Franzen and Bill/shocky/Jonus dont like Drew Miller.

You don't need to act condescending just because someone has a difference of opinion. Especially when you are wrong.

and we all miss sirdrake

6 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

I feel kinda sorry that you're still not over it. You do realize they're here for like the next half decade or more right? That's 5 years of stress for the blood pressure that's pretty avoidable. 

OH WELL would you look at that.

Howard in net again.

Miller scratched.

Trying to ice a better 4th line and playing the hot hand.

So easy to say things online, Blashill decided to listen to us knowitalls. Cuz its ez pz lemon squeezy. Nevermind the fact that he's probably using his brain to come up with solutions like some of us here are. 

Edited by kickazz

8 minutes ago, kickazz said:

OH WELL would you look at that.

Howard in net again.

Miller scratched.

Trying to ice a better 4th line and playing the hot hand.

So easy to say things online, Blashill decided to listen to us knowitalls. Cuz its ez pz lemon squeezy. Nevermind the fact that he's probably using his brain to come up with solutions like some of us here are. 

We are all Jeff Blashill now. Illuminati confirmed. (Blashilluminati?)

I like their game plan yesterday. Flyers have a very potent offense and the wings played a great defensive game for the most part. I think for the offense right now it's just an issue with execution. Nobody can make plays in tight or with accuracy

Good game from a coaching stand point. Just wish he'd stop relying so heavily on defense players so much. Sit Marchenko and then Ott when Vanek returns

It would be cool if we kept track of usage on here and see how the teams trending in terms on players individual minutes played. Usually on my phone or else would look it up myself

Edited by joesuffP

2 hours ago, joesuffP said:

Good game from a coaching stand point. Just wish he'd stop relying so heavily on defense players so much. Sit Marchenko and then Ott when Vanek returns

... so you're finally on board with us about this? 

He's been trying to reduce their usage from what I've seen. Miller being scratched is a start

Edited by kickazz