• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2017 Draft

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, Dabura said:

Yep. McJesus saves! Taylor Hallelujah! The Devils are a liar!

McDavid is McJesus. I haven't seen anything move like he does and that includes Lemieux with his frame, speed and royal hands. Playmaking ability as well.

Can't think of any veteran not taking a discount to play on the Oilers if Jesus is there and healthy, which should show on the signings coming up soon enough.

Edited by Jacksoni

5 hours ago, Dabura said:

If we're looking to trade up (probably not advisable), our old friend Jim Nill appears to be soft-shopping the #3 pick...

Nill open to trading third overall pick in draft

"I have talked to other teams already about possibly moving that pick, getting an established player back," Nill said during an interview on SiriusXM NHL Network. "It gives us lots of options."...

Dallas's biggest need now is defense, so I don't think we would be a good fit. The only thing that would kind of make sense is like Dickie suggests; the #9 + something else good. Whomever we'd get at #3 probably won't be much better than what we'd get at #9.

Just now, Buppy said:

Dallas's biggest need now is defense, so I don't think we would be a good fit. The only thing that would kind of make sense is like Dickie suggests; the #9 + something else good. Whomever we'd get at #3 probably won't be much better than what we'd get at #9.

Agreed. I only said Nyquist/Tatar + our 2nd because I imagine that's about the absolute limit of what Holland would consider. Personally, I don't feel the third overall pick is worth one of our better players and the ninth overall pick. Nill himself has said there isn't necessarily any clear separation between the top ten players in this draft class not named Nolan Patrick or Nico Hischier:

"We know there are lots of choices at three. It's not like the top five or six are set in stone. Everyone has talked about the top two and then after that there is probably a group of ten players," Nill said. "I think it is going to come down to team's personal preference. Are you looking for a big, strong centerman? Are you looking for a scoring winger? Are you looking for a power forward? There are lots of different options there."

But, yeah, I'm thinking it's all moot anyway, as Nill is probably fishing for a studly young top-four defenseman and we don't have one of those.

tumblr_ll0n01_PZQy1qj5er8o1_500.jpg

1 hour ago, Jacksoni said:

McDavid is McJesus. I haven't seen anything move like he does and that includes Lemieux with his frame, speed and royal hands. Playmaking ability as well.

Can't think of any veteran not taking a discount to play on the Oilers if Jesus is there and healthy, which should show on the signings coming up soon enough.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/2019/ufa/

"Erik Karlsson, Drew Doughty sign with Oilers; rest of league quits."

10 hours ago, Dabura said:

If we're looking to trade up (probably not advisable), our old friend Jim Nill appears to be soft-shopping the #3 pick...

Nill open to trading third overall pick in draft

"I have talked to other teams already about possibly moving that pick, getting an established player back," Nill said during an interview on SiriusXM NHL Network. "It gives us lots of options."

Granted, we hear this kind of talk every year and it rarely leads to anything. But, personally, I get the sense that Nill intends to load up and brute force the Stars back into the playoffs next season. We all know he isn't exactly gun-shy when it comes to impact trades.

Could Tatar/Nyquist + 2nd get it done? (Probably not.) Would it be worth it? (Probably not.)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If we're looking to trade back and get an additional 1st, I think Green + Sheahan + [?] (Holmstrom/Bertuzzi?) could interest Calgary, Toronto, Edmonton, maybe others.

The Flames could open next season with Mark Giordano, Dougie Hamilton, T.J. Brodie, Mike Green (born and raised in Calgary), Matt Bartkowski, Rasmus Andersson, Oliver Kylington. That's arguably a Cup-caliber D group, at least on paper.

Having said all this...the landscape is going to change between now and the entry draft, so what's feasible now may not be feasible then and what's not feasible now may be feasible then.

Highly doubt either Anderson or kylington will be ready next season , and I can't see the flames having interest in green when they already have some offensive dmen, oilers just make sense with sekera gone

also getting rid of bertuzzi  would be a mistake , just seems to always step up in the playoffs 

also so seen some mentions of dallas's 3rd pick , don't think it makes sense to get rid of a 25-30 goal guy to move up 6 spots , not that big of a gap , if anything tatar/nyquist "should" fetch us a 1st

i blame blashill for them and other players having career down seasons , can't be a coincidence, Tatar/nyquist have the talent and skill , insert either in the right situation on a top team and they'd get 30 , so we shouldn't just give them away 

29 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Highly doubt either Anderson or kylington will be ready next season , and I can't see the flames having interest in green when they already have some offensive dmen, oilers just make sense with sekera gone

I think Andersson or Kylington could do well enough in a sheltered role. Maybe, maybe not.

Dennis Wideman, Michael Stone, and Deryk Engelland are all eligible for unrestricted free agency and I feel Green is better than each of them. Giordano, Hamilton, Brodie, Green could be one of the very best top fours in the league. Mind you, I'm not necessarily saying the Flames are the best hypothetical fit for Green.

29 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

getting rid of bertuzzi  would be a mistake , just seems to always step up in the playoffs

Eh, perhaps. He does seem to elevate his game in the AHL playoffs, but I'm not convinced he's going to become anything more than a bottom-six grinder at the NHL level.

Edited by Dabura

3 hours ago, kliq said:

I dont think anyone can say if we should or should not trade for the 3rd pick until we know who goes 1st and 2nd. 

Wait, is this irony? Isn't already firmly established who will go 1st and 2nd?

Yeah, it would be a shocker if Patrick / Hischier didn't go one / two, but as we seen last year with Dubois going 3rd ahead of Puljujarvi, anything is possible.

I don't want any part of moving up in this year's draft. It's very possible that one of Glass, Suzuki or Tippett will be available at 9, and if they're not I'd be completely okay with moving back a few spots and picking up another 2nd to take one of Liljegren or Foote.

I'd like some sort of scenario where we could trade back to around 14th and pick up another 2nd, and then trade one of our 2nd's and one or two of our 3rd's to pick up another 1st... We end up with two 1st's, one 2nd and two 3rd's...

55 minutes ago, sputman said:

Isn't already firmly established who will go 1st and 2nd?

Pretty much.

To me, it doesn't really matter who goes first and second. If Patrick and Hischier go first and second, the #3 pick probably costs something like Nyquist/Tatar + our 1st (assuming Nill would even be all that interested in Nyquist or Tatar in the first place), which I personally think is too much. If Patrick or Hischier is available at #3, Nill takes him. Or someone pays a king's ransom for the pick.

So, no matter who's available at #3, we're not getting that pick. IMO.

Edited by Dabura

Green to Edmonton makes sense for all party's. We need an extra 1st, we need the cap space, we could use the roster spot. Green would make their team better, he'd probably score more points in their system, and he could be an important piece to put them to the next level. Which could be serious Cup contenders...which is great for Edmonton and Green.

Green to Edmonton makes sense for all party's. We need an extra 1st, we need the cap space, we could use the roster spot. Green would make their team better, he'd probably score more points in their system, and he could be an important piece to put them to the next level. Which could be serious Cup contenders...which is great for Edmonton and Green.

Except Holland would rather hold onto Green so they might barely make the playoffs.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, sputman said:

Wait, is this irony? Isn't already firmly established who will go 1st and 2nd?

You never know what a team is going to do, I'm not disagreeing with this, but all it takes is one of those teams thinking that they see something in someone else that others don't see and a player you don't think is available all of sudden is.

13 hours ago, kliq said:

You never know what a team is going to do, I'm not disagreeing with this, but all it takes is one of those teams thinking that they see something in someone else that others don't see and a player you don't think is available all of sudden is.

True. But if Patrick or Hischier is available at #3, I have to think Nill takes him. I believe his "I'm open to trading the pick" stance is predicated on the assumption that Patrick and Hischier will be the first two players off the board. If Patrick or Hischier is indeed available at #3, then that pick might as well be the #1 pick.

8 minutes ago, Dabura said:

True. But if Patrick or Hischier is available at #3, I have to think Nill takes him. I believe his "I'm open to trading the pick" stance is predicated on the assumption that Patrick and Hischier will be the first two players off the board. If Patrick or Hischier is indeed available at #3, then that pick might as well be the #1 pick.

You're probably right, I wouldn't argue that. I guess my point is that none of us know what any of these GM's are thinking and until the time comes our GM should be preparing for all potential situations. If either of those two don't go #1, I would hope Holland has an offer ready. Most likely won't be accepted, but one thing I have learned in life is to be successful you can't be afraid to ask. 

Who would have thought Nill could have gotten Seguin for what he did, you never know.

4 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

I hope Holland is smart enough to move Green at the trade deadline.

Yeah - Green just might be our best Dman, but on many teams he's no more than a #4 guy...I know - it's depressing.

For the next 3, or 4 seasons - we need as many draft picks as possible - even if it means moving current players on this roster.

I think it will simply depend on where we are in the standings. If we are not in the playoff picture at trade deadline time, he's gone for sure.

9. Detroit Red Wings - Owen Tippett, RW, Mississauga (OHL)

He's arguably the best shooter and one of the better skaters in this draft class. Tippett (6-0, 200), who has Phil Kessel-like potential and can play either right or left wing, is a natural goal scorer who is extremely dangerous when attacking with speed. He had 75 points (44 goals, 31 assists) in 60 games.

https://www.nhl.com/news/mike-morreale-second-nhl-mock-draft-projections-2017/c-289750810?tid=277764372

They love this kid. If he has to Holland will trade up to get him.