• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
shocky2002

Who has been the Red Wings MVP in the last 25 years?

Rate this topic

Who has been the Red Wings MVP in the last 25 years?  

53 members have voted

  1. 1. Let's see the results



Recommended Posts

Only guys worth mentioning are in the poll

On a side note, it's been 5 years since Nick retired. I can barely remember how this team looked with him on the blue line. It feels like 20 years since he walked away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lidstrom. He was our most important player during both the Yzerman/Fedorov and Datsyuk/Zetterberg eras. And he's the only one of the five who could be considered the best at their position for a lengthy period of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most people are probably going to pick Lidstrom since he was part of the 25 years the longest. Both Fedorov/Yzerman were gone within 12-15 years and D and Z didn't even show up until the 10th year of the 25 years. 

If the question was changed to "the last 35 years" I would pick Yzerman. If changed to "between 92-97" I pick Fedorov. If changed to 2005-2008 I pick Zetterberg. If changed to 2009 - 2012 I pick Datsyuk. 

Everyone was an MVP in their own range. But a composite 25 year range tilts it towards Lidstrom just because of sheer number of games played are in his favor allowing him more games to prove himself in while the others weren't around for a large chunk of those 25 years. 

The better question would be, which MVP was more valuable than the other. 

Edited by kickazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kickazz said:

If the question was changed to "the last 35 years" I would pick Yzerman. If changed to "between 92-97" I pick Fedorov. If changed to 2005-2008 I pick Zetterberg. If changed to 2009 - 2012 I pick Datsyuk. 

It´s another neverending story about ´who is THE best´, but if question was ´Who was the most impacting player during his MVP era?´, it´d be simply Fedorov. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lidstrom by far.  His 7 norris trophies should have been 10 or 11.  Blake and Leetch wins are a JOKE.  Pronger's win was the only one I actually 100% agreed with.  He was a beast that year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Juklitz said:

It´s another neverending story about ´who is THE best´, but if question was ´Who was the most impacting player during his MVP era?´, it´d be simply Fedorov. 

He was one of the most impactful Wings of all time. Players, for me are the three, Lidstrom, Fedorov, Yzerman...the rest are 2nd tier behind those. 

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Lidstrom by far.  His 7 norris trophies should have been 10 or 11.  Blake and Leetch wins are a JOKE.  Pronger's win was the only one I actually 100% agreed with.  He was a beast that year.

Leetch's win should've been Konstantinov's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lidstrom has to be the answer to this thread.  

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Lidstrom by far.  His 7 norris trophies should have been 10 or 11.  Blake and Leetch wins are a JOKE.  Pronger's win was the only one I actually 100% agreed with.  He was a beast that year.

Lidstrom won a few Norris trophies he shouldn't have won also.  It evens out.  

Edited by GMRwings1983

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

He was one of the most impactful Wings of all time. Players, for me are the three, Lidstrom, Fedorov, Yzerman...the rest are 2nd tier behind those. 

Leetch's win should've been Konstantinov's.

I really really wonder what kind of legacy Konstantiov would have left had he the opportunity to play out his entire career.  That man was a phenomenal defenseman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Echolalia said:

I really really wonder what kind of legacy Konstantiov would have left had he the opportunity to play out his entire career.  That man was a phenomenal defenseman.

I would have picked him over Lidstrom in the early to mid 90s.

I don't even think most Red Wings fans considered Lidstrom to be as good as they do now until like 2000 ish when he started winning all those Norris Trophies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The scary thing is, when the cap first hit and teams had to buy players out (McCarty, Hatcher) what if we had to decide between Vladdy and Nick? I'm sure if Vladdy stayed healthy he would've been making $6M+ as well...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

We lost Yzerman and still won the Cup. It's obviously Lidstrom. Having that anchor on your defense is uttering important and we have been on a tail spin ever since Nick's retirement.

Also let's give some credit to Hakan 

That's because we replaced Yzerman with two future elite hall of famers (Datsyuk and Zetterberg).

We haven't been able to replace Brad Stuart or Rafalski let alone Nick Lidstrom. 

Edited by kickazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lidström. Not debatable, hence this thread is blasphemous and instigates heresy. The Captain comes close so worthy of a honorable mention. That about sums it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, kickazz said:

I would have picked him over Lidstrom in the early to mid 90s.

I don't even think most Red Wings fans considered Lidstrom to be as good as they do now until like 2000 ish when he started winning all those Norris Trophies. 

I mean... +/- of +60 in 95-96.  That is just bonkers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jacksoni said:

Lidström. Not debatable, hence this thread is blasphemous and instigates heresy. The Captain comes close so worthy of a honorable mention. That about sums it up.

Well - speaking from the perspective of a fan of the Detroit Red Wings circa 1984 (here we go again from a stroll down memory lane).

Yzerman was the team until 2006 when he retired on that night in Edmonton.

Lidstrom with all due respect had little to no pressure placed upon him when compared to Yzerman - Lidstrom assumed the 'C' well after the 'Dead Wings' era.

Lidstrom had little to no pressure placed upon his shoulders in terms of resurrecting a team from the nether regions of the NHL while he was the 'C' of this club - that was Yzerman's responsibility.

In recent history - if anyone here has followed the Wings since the 1980's - there's no way in hell Lidstrom is the MVP of this team.

I honestly could give 2 f*cks of your opinion if you say Lidstrom has had a greater importance...Lidstrom had never faced the mass amount of scrutiny that Yzerman had to deal with...Yzerman had much more adversity, and the weight placed upon his shoulders IMHO surpasses what Lidstrom has ever dealt with.

Yzerman will always be the #1 player in my mind when it comes to the Detroit Red Wings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2017 at 7:51 PM, GMRwings1983 said:

If we go back 35 years, I'd agree with you, but not 25 years.

2017 - 25 = 1992.

Sorry, but Yzerman still is the man when compared to anyone else in the Detroit Red Wings.

Stevie  Y was the heart. and soul of this club for 3 Cups.

IMHO - anyone who says otherwise is delusional. 

Go ahead - call me out.....Any fan from the 1980's would be hard pressed to claim Lidstrom was more instrumental to this teams overall success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Echolalia said:

I mean... +/- of +60 in 95-96.  That is just bonkers.

I felt like he was a more complete defenseman than Lidstrom was. His backhand flick of a shot was absolutely incredible and his offensive rushes always made your jaw drop. Lidstrom was cerebral and a genius at what he did but Konstantinov was skill + cerebral mixed together. It really does suck because we'll never know what could have been. And like I alluded to earlier, we didn't start seeing Lidstrom in his peak until later in the 90s and early 2000s. Assuming Vladdy was just getting into his prime before the accident, it would have been incredible to see his peak. 

Edited by kickazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

2017 - 25 = 1992.

Sorry, but Yzerman still is the man when compared to anyone else in the Detroit Red Wings.

Stevie  Y was the heart. and soul of this club for 3 Cups.

IMHO - anyone who says otherwise is delusional. 

Go ahead - call me out.....Any fan from the 1980's would be hard pressed to claim Lidstrom was more instrumental to this teams overall success.

Except, this thread is supposed to disregard the 1980's.  At the start of the 90's, Yzerman was indeed Detroit's best player, but by the late 90's, through the time he retired, Lidstrom was Detroit's most important player.  If we're talking all time importance to the franchise, then yes, Yzerman would be ahead of Lidstrom.  That's not quite what the thread is about, though.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this