• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

Tatar, Athanasiou, and XO's new deals

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2017/07/red_wings_tomas_tatar_says_rel.html#incart_river_index

Kenny Holland got me and my agent and excellent relationship," Tatar said in a roughly translated story. "Detroit gave me a chance to start in the NHL. I hope I can (wear a Red Wings) jersey continued and enhanced. Detroit is a great organization full of great people.

feel better about him now kickazz?

14 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2017/07/red_wings_tomas_tatar_says_rel.html#incart_river_index

Kenny Holland got me and my agent and excellent relationship," Tatar said in a roughly translated story. "Detroit gave me a chance to start in the NHL. I hope I can (wear a Red Wings) jersey continued and enhanced. Detroit is a great organization full of great people.

I like this. Lock this kid in long-term.

1 hour ago, DickieDunn said:

Not if he's asking for $6 million. I've already said $5 million is the max. The real question is, now that he's clarified his relationship with Holland is good, how do YOU feel about that? Sounds to me like Holland is putting the best deal for the team and Tatar wants more $$ than he deserves. 

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I like this. Lock this kid in long-term.

What words would you expect Tatar's agent put in Tatar's mouth while they are hoping for a contract?
I think Tatar genuinely wants to stay in Detroit. He just doesn't know what he likes more $6mil a year for the next whatever years or stay in Detroit.

If he insists, I'd say trade him; he's small, he's been pushed around all season long, that's not going to improve in this league. He ain't 6mil multi-year NHL player, no way.

Edited by ami

5 hours ago, F.Michael said:

How would Tatar be worthless?

Wouldn't you think that he's got a lot to prove with that 1 year?

If anything - once a guy gets his $$$, and term - he's more likely to take it easy.

An expiring RFA about to hit UFA status and could walk or ask for a fortune. He's way more valuable to trade with some term attached or else he is just Vanek at the deadline

51 minutes ago, ami said:

What words would you expect Tatar's agent put in Tatar's mouth while they are hoping for a contract?
I think Tatar genuinely wants to stay in Detroit. He just doesn't know what he likes more $6mil a year for the next whatever years or stay in Detroit.

If he insists, I'd say trade him; he's small, he's been pushed around all season long, that's not going to improve in this league. He ain't 6mil multi-year NHL player, no way.

Yes, but Dickie says he has a great attitude and relationship with the team, so he deserves it

18 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Yes, but Dickie says he has a great attitude and relationship with the team, so he deserves it

Dickie the boy with rose colored glasses for Tatar? 

If we had $20M in cap space, then sure,  give him more than $5M, but we only have just over $6M in total cap. Now if Holland would dump about $12-$14M in salary, we can negotiate a bit more salary for him.

14 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

When will he realize that these big/long contracts to players like Tatar/Abdelkader/Helm/Dekeyser/Nielsen are killing this team? 

I know, if Holland gives Tatar (a 2nd line one-dimensional winger) that much money he's an idiot. 

Not if he's asking for $6 million. I've already said $5 million is the max. The real question is, now that he's clarified his relationship with Holland is good, how do YOU feel about that? Sounds to me like Holland is putting the best deal for the team and Tatar wants more $$ than he deserves. 

$6il is too much, and I've heard he wants $5 mil for 7 years and the term is the issue and I've heard the sticking point is he wants $6 mil or more.

Sent by my minions via telepathy

23 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

$6il is too much, and I've heard he wants $5 mil for 7 years and the term is the issue and I've heard the sticking point is he wants $6 mil or more.

Starting to wonder if that's too long of a contract for someone who just scores goals (at an above average rate). I mean he doesn't really bring much else to the team, and if his scoring rate drops he'll be worthless for us. I'd rather sign him for 4 years. 

It would be one thing if he was a two-way forward or an excellent playmaker that was versatile. 

Edited by kickazz

I don't really want him. He scores some goals once-in-a-while but he's not a game-changer by any stretch. I'd rather see someone cheap from GR in his place. Face it, nobody here is going to be happy next year if we come close to making the playoffs, and I can't imagine anybody at this point thinking we have a chance at getting past the 1st round if we do get in. He's certainly not going to carry us. We need a high draft pick next year. Why pay that much money for somebody (nearly the same amount of money that Z gets) to score a goal now and then to get us that much closer to the ninth seed and a lower draft pick?

Ya, I agree, just trade him. Even $5M for 5 years isn't going to make a difference for us, it'll just be another overpaid guy scoring 20 goals...maybe. Sign Vanek for cheaper and much less term, then use the money for Larkin and Mantha...we're going to need it!

2 hours ago, joesuffP said:

An expiring RFA about to hit UFA status and could walk or ask for a fortune. He's way more valuable to trade with some term attached or else he is just Vanek at the deadline

Tatar needs to earn a future contract as it stands right now.

A 1 year deal means he needs to bust his balls to show that he's worth what he feels he's worth, and frankly - he really isn't worth that much.

8 minutes ago, sputman said:

I don't really want him. He scores some goals once-in-a-while but he's not a game-changer by any stretch. I'd rather see someone cheap from GR in his place. Face it, nobody here is going to be happy next year if we come close to making the playoffs, and I can't imagine anybody at this point thinking we have a chance at getting past the 1st round if we do get in. He's certainly not going to carry us. We need a high draft pick next year. Why pay that much money for somebody (nearly the same amount of money that Z gets) to score a goal now and then to get us that much closer to the ninth seed and a lower draft pick?

Agreed.

Tatar  is a glorified 2nd line winger on a average to below average team like Detroit.

39 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Tatar is not much better than Filppula or Hudler during their tenure here. If they can walk, he can walk.

This.

Tatar has been, and always will be painfully average - just like Nyquist.

Neither have the scoring prowess, or the creativity that will see them in the upper echelons of the league.

Once again - no loss if these guys are traded when considering the Wings are in need of a rebuild, and are a few years away from making the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, joesuffP said:

Tatar is very good secondary scorer. Pretty much the exact same player and impact as Hudler

Hudler played on, and excelled on a very good Wings team.

Nothing against Hudler, or Tatar, but IMHO - neither are/were instrumental to this teams success.

Guys like Ray Sheppard, and Paul Ysebaert probably had more of an impact on the Red Wings.

I agree. Tatar is not a game changer for this team. He scores goals, usually off of amazing Zetterberg (and previously Datsyuk) assists. I'm not sure if making him close to the highest paid player on the team is the right thing to do. 

AA scored 18 goals in 20 less games than Tatar. Except AA can also kill penalties and is super fast. Of course AA gets sheltered minutes too but his linemates aren't as good as Tatar's. 

I just don't think losing Tatar is going to hurt us as much as others might think, we have plenty of young guys coming through that will more than make up for his 25 goals.

Additionally, last season Tatar wasn't really that much better than others at goal scoring. All of AA, Mantha and Tatar scored at about the same rate. The only difference is Tatar got to play 20+ more games than both of them. 

The year before last year, Larkin outscored Tatar. And he's supposed to be more of a set-up guy. 

I think people see the "25 goal" mark from last season and are automatically assuming "great" goal scorer. But if you look at the full context, all of AA, Mantha, Tatar, Larkin, Vanek are one in the same in the goals department. AA and Mantha are probably better actually and they're not even close to their primes yet, while Tatar probably is in his prime. 

So why give him 7 years when you have younger players already producing at the same rate? I say Holland sticks to his offer and if Tatar doesn't want it then flip him for a nice trade. This is a win-win situation for Holland and the Red Wings imo. If Tatar takes the cheaper offer, great, if not, then we get something back and we have plenty of players to replace him. 

I can see a nice Mantha - Zetterberg - AA line after this season. 

Edited by kickazz

6 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Consistent 30 goal guys get a lot more than $5 mil. Look what Parise got, although that was in part to and Suter

What DD said.

1 hour ago, DickieDunn said:

Consistent 30 goal guys get a lot more than $5 mil. Look what Parise got, although that was in part to and Suter

All the more reason to tell Tatar peace out if he wants more. 

Edited by kickazz