• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LadyRedWing

Wings Interested In Resigning Green

Rate this topic

Should we resign Green?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, LadyRedWing said:

SO should we resign the one that people wanted to trade off? Wings are still interested, what do you all think?

Yes.

Rumors were prior to the deadline that he may not be traded since he apparently likes being a Red Wing.

Add to the fact that he has a 'neck injury' - his trade value plummeted.

What concerns me most - will this so called 'injury' affect his future performance?

If he's medically clear - no issues with his health - I would not mind seeing him sign a 3 yr deal for a 'reasonable' cap hit of no more than $4 mill per season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, agree with the three year deal, I hope he is willing to take a little bit of a cut to stay.

And on the neck injury it isnt clear, I do know for a fact he skated today and that was per Krupa from the Detroit News.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would definitely take Green back. Love having him on the team and he'd help our younger defensemen as they transition to the NHL. 

I think I read a while back when the trade deadline rumors first got started and he/his agent reiterated a desire to re-sign with the wings, they were saying something along the lines of Green knows that his next contract will be worth less at this point in his career. He seems like a very down to earth guy. I say offer him 4 mill / 3 years or 5 / 2 and go from there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on who is the GM.  Holland is likely to give him a stupid deal, 5 years at $5 mil or something.  A reasonable deal, maybe, depending on if another D can be moved.  If he comes back, they have Green, Daley, Dekeyser, Kronwall, Ericsson, Jensen next year.  There needs to be at least 2 open spots for rookies, and not as a reserve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That spot problem is not going to improve next year, at least not before the deadline. the season after next, '19-'20, with Kronwall of the books and Ouellet (likely) not re-signed, that's the first year with spots possibly available (under condition nobody gets moved out, or comes in, before that, ofc).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

Yes.

Rumors were prior to the deadline that he may not be traded since he apparently likes being a Red Wing.

Add to the fact that he has a 'neck injury' - his trade value plummeted.

What concerns me most - will this so called 'injury' affect his future performance?

If he's medically clear - no issues with his health - I would not mind seeing him sign a 3 yr deal for a 'reasonable' cap hit of no more than $4 mill per season.

Does he realize this isn't 2008?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, we should re-sign our best defenseman... If you're complaining about no roster spots for the kids, you sign Green and trade one of the many mediocre defensemen. There's not a single defensemen on the team that can do what Mike Green does on a nightly basis. Nor is there a kid in the minors that can step in and do it right away. Hronek will hopefully be that guy in another year or two, but Green is the one guy, I'd want him learning from. Re-signing Green is a no-brainer, and after not getting anything for him at the deadline, I'd be pissed to see him walk for nothing...

2 years $10.5M (preferably) or 3 years 12M is around what I'd like to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yes, we should re-sign our best defenseman... If you're complaining about no roster spots for the kids, you sign Green and trade one of the many mediocre defensemen. There's not a single defensemen on the team that can do what Mike Green does on a nightly basis. Nor is there a kid in the minors that can step in and do it right away. Hronek will hopefully be that guy in another year or two, but Green is the one guy, I'd want him learning from. Re-signing Green is a no-brainer, and after not getting anything for him at the deadline, I'd be pissed to see him walk for nothing...

2 years $10.5M (preferably) or 3 years 12M is around what I'd like to see.

Best of a bunch of mediocre guys doesn't make him good.  That's like the tallest person in Munchkin Land, the most honest person in the Senate

Edited by DickieDunn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not interested in re-signing “because he’s going to teach the kids”. No f*** that. We re-sign him and trade him at the next deadline or even the year after that. This guy has to stay and will be a hot commodity for the deadline for a couple more years.

Hanging on to him shows some loyalty; he’ll resign. And we subsequently trade him for a 1st when he isn’t injured hopefully.

The rebuild is a long term project. Hanging onto Green won’t change his value like it potentially could have with Mrazek (who is still young and unpredictable).

Basically I still want us to get a 1st rounder for this guy. Was hoping it would have been this year but obviously no one wanted to give it. So we try again next year (or in 2020- still a strong draft). I’m assuming Holland has the same thought process. 

Hopefully this time around there’s a modified NTC or nothing it all. And if that’s the case, my theory has some subtance to it.

Edited by kickazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Best of a bunch of mediocre guys doesn't make him good.  That's like the tallest person in Munchkin Land, the most honest person in the Senate

He's a top three on any team in this league, top two on most and number one on ours. But yeah, let's let him walk. Our defense sucks, so why not make it worse right?...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kickazz said:

I’m not interested in re-signing “because he’s going to teach the kids”. No f*** that. We re-sign him and trade him at the next deadline or even the year after that. This guy has to stay and will be a hot commodity for the deadline for a couple more years.

Hanging on to him shows some loyalty; he’ll resign. And we subsequently trade him for a 1st when he isn’t injured hopefully.

The rebuild is a long term project. Hanging onto Green won’t change his value like it potentially could have with Mrazek (who is still young and unpredictable)

In the end, the NHL is a business. Sign him for $4M-$5M 1 yr. In hopes of (trying again) flipping him to a contender in 2019. That makes the most business sense. Unless we score JT, he'll be too old by time we are serious contenders again. Stranger things have happened, but we have to flip him for a 1st. If he weren't injured, he would've been dealt. He will have the same value, maybe more TDL again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kickazz said:

I'm 99% positive Holland has intention of keeping Green and  trading him. The problem is Green may want a long term which would make it hard for us. 

Ya, he may just opt to sign with a Cup contender to begin with. Oh well, as stated before, not Kenny's fault he got injured, at least we still got that second 1st round pick!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LadyRedWing said:

SO should we resign the one that people wanted to trade off? Wings are still interested, what do you all think?

Welcome to LGW. Unless of course, you're a retread, than shame on you.:ninja:

 

I voted yes, and I think its likely he's re-signed. He wants to be here, he just started a family, he didn't seem all that enthusiastic about being traded to a contender. 

I believe the reason he wasn't traded is because the return wasn't good enough. I think there were teams interested, I would be shocked if someone wasn't willing to throw at least a lower draft pick out there for him, despite his injury.  I think it was more of Holland not wanting to sour his relationship with Green by accepting a lowball offer for him. The only reason he would do that is if he is interested in bringing Green back. I also think that if Holland got anything from Green that he wasn't serious about re-signing, he would have traded him for the best offer, even if it was lower. (Like Mrazek). Seems like both of them are on the same page.

That said, I am thinking a 3 year/15 million dollar deal. 6.0 year 1, 5.0  year 2, 4.0 year 3. Makes it a 5 mil cap hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holland is still hoping to make the playoffs. IF that happens, then Green may be our TDL addition! :lol: Seriously though, if, for some act of miracle, this team squeaks in, having Green is better than not having him. And if Holland is truly looking 2-3 years in advance, I agree, I can see him giving Green another 3 year deal, hopefully somewhere between $4M-$5M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Does he realize this isn't 2008?  

Do you realize that for some guys it's about where they are happy in terms of their work and family life?  Maybe he see something in this franchise that makes him want to stay. Everyone wants to win but its not everything to everyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this