• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kipwinger

In Praise of Tyler Bertuzzi

Rate this topic

At the time of his draft, Tyler Bertuzzi was considered a reach.  A guy with a name around Detroit and not much more than that going for him. But that this point in his (admittedly short) career he's a point every other game kinda guy.  Beyond just producing, he provides a different offensive dynamic, compliments skill players well, and draws penalties.  So, what lessons can we learn from the case of Tyler Bertuzzi?  Will he maintain his offensive pace or will he regress?  Will he turn out better than Detroit's first rounder that season (Mantha)? 

39 minutes ago, brett said:

what can we learn?

he comes to play every night. he hustles he skates hes not afraid to battle he goes to those gritty spots and not afraid of a little contact. he doesnt sit around and wait for the puck he goes and gets it. hes a pest and doesnt give up. 

And he has above average hockey IQ and underrated hands. 

Edit to add: love this thread

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

6 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

And he has above average hockey IQ and underrated hands. 

Edit to add: love this thread

Came to say this. He constantly surprises me with his vision and quick thinking. I don't know what his upside is, but if he manages to be a middle six guy who maintains an offensive pace like this I'll be pleased. I see him filling the role I wanted Abdelkader to fill. 

1 hour ago, greenrebellion said:

I remember people were upset we drafted him so early.

yeah

On 6/30/2013 at 4:20 PM, Richdg said:

WTF???????

On 6/30/2013 at 4:21 PM, Richdg said:

Terrible pick.

On 6/30/2013 at 4:21 PM, Guest Crymson said:

This was a totally bizarre pick.

On 6/30/2013 at 4:22 PM, Richdg said:

230th by CS. Could have been taken in the 7th freaking round.

On 6/30/2013 at 4:33 PM, Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey said:

waste of a pick.

On 6/30/2013 at 4:38 PM, Richdg said:

He is 5-9/160ish and not a scorer. There are far better prospects at every position still on the board.

On 7/1/2013 at 1:59 PM, Shaman said:

The issue is that the Wings reached their 2 #2 picks and got one player that could be something, and one player that if he makes it in to the AHL his career will be a success.

I love his game and heart.  He has many intangibles.  I'm liking his game a lot more than Mantha this season.  To me, Mantha has become Robert Lang.  Floater.  Waiting around to play offense.  Against the Oil the other night, he was not good.  i saw on multiple occasions him neglecting to engage in a battle for puck possession.  Eye test = uninspired.   

I've always been a big fan of Bertuzzi, but even watching him in Guelph and Grand Rapids, I never really thought he'd be anything more than a bottom six agitator at the NHL level. I thought he might be a 20-30 point player that can play a solid two-way game. He's far exceeded my expectations (and I think everyone elses) thus far. He's currently on pace for 46 points, and the way he plays, that number or higher may be very attainable. He plays hard every single shift, every single game, goes to the dirty areas, and won't back down from anyone. These are all things most of us knew before he ever played a game in Detroit. What most of us have been pleasantly surprised by is the level of skill and hockey IQ he has. Such a smart, cerebral player. At this point, I think he could be a 40-50 point middle six player that can play up and down the lineup in all situations. Great pick at 58th overall, and great trade by Kenny, nabbing Mantha and Bertuzzi for the 18th overall pick (Mueller). Too bad Mantha didn't have the same compete level as Bert, he'd be a perennial 30+ goal scorer for sure...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Yup. Besides, is there any Wings fans out there that didn't love Todd Bertuzzi? If so, f*** them. I loved Big Bert. Now I love Lil' Bert.

Weren't you here during his 2nd stint on the team? It wasn't Cleary level, but the hate was pretty strong.TapNXL.gif

Memories....

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

On 11/5/2018 at 8:28 AM, Learn2LuvIt said:

I love his game and heart.  He has many intangibles.  I'm liking his game a lot more than Mantha this season.  To me, Mantha has become Robert Lang.  Floater.  Waiting around to play offense.  Against the Oil the other night, he was not good.  i saw on multiple occasions him neglecting to engage in a battle for puck possession.  Eye test = uninspired.   

Big goal Bob scored big goals though.

On 11/7/2018 at 7:47 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Weren't you here during his 2nd stint on the team? It wasn't Cleary level, but the hate was pretty strong.TapNXL.gif

Memories....

The moment Todd Bertuzzi's style of play changed forever. He was a beast in Vancouver, hit everything in sight, scored tons of goals. Very passive in comparison after that.

46 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

The moment Todd Bertuzzi's style of play changed forever. He was a beast in Vancouver, hit everything in sight, scored tons of goals. Very passive in comparison after that.

Indeed - Bert was never the same after that.

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

Indeed - Bert was never the same after that.

Same with Steve Moore. Wonder what happened there.