• Please log in to reply
1226 replies to this topic

#561 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:01 PM

Legwand was the best center moved. Moulson and Vanek are wingers the Wings would probably have little interest in bringing back. Legwand may have told Holland he would sign an extension, at the very least it seems likely he will. If Jarnkrok ends up being a #1 center Detroit got hosed. If he ends up as a 40 point guy then it's a push. If he flops Detroit wins. Nashville taking Eaves does nothing to hurt us, so you can ignore that. They got a guy who can fill in now at a position of need for a pick and a prospect who is allegedly unhappy. Bottom line.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#562 Huss

Huss

Draftee

• 6 posts

Well this is interesting

Bob Duff @asktheduffer 22m

A year ago, #redwings refused to part with Jarnkrok in a package for Iginla.

Two quick things about this:

1) As someone already mentioned, the Red Wings are far more desperate this time around at the deadline.  With good reason.

2) Jarnkrok's value was much higher last year as well.  He's not the bluechippiest of the bluechippers that some may think.  To each their own, though.

#563 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

All doom and gloom around here.

I think Legwand can be a 50-65 point guy for Detroit, while playing a good two way game. Helm cannot be relied upon anymore it seems so this deal makes sense if he signs another contract with us.

Edited by darkmanx, 05 March 2014 - 07:03 PM.

#564 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

Coming next season: The Wings trade Mantha for Hudler.

Only if Kenny's allowed to throw in a 2nd round pick as well.

#565 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

Well this is interesting

Bob Duff ‏@asktheduffer 22m

A year ago, #redwings refused to part with Jarnkrok in a package for Iginla.

Dude, what in god's name is our obsession over old players? I just don't get it. Between the Modanos, and Alfreddsons and Drakes and Mays.....why do we only seem to go after seasoned vets and not players in their primes? 

Edited by ShanahanMan, 05 March 2014 - 07:05 PM.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#566 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

Remember when Legwand cheated and took the puck to the bench during that playoff game against us? Classic

#567 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

All doom and gloom around here.

I think Legwand can be a 50-65 point guy for Detroit, while playing a good two way game. Helm cannot be relied upon anymore it seems so this deal makes sense if he signs another contract with us.

Helm needs the summer to recover and do more strength training without setbacks and he'll be good to go. He's still very valuable.  I think you're right about Legwand and I believe he'll be more than a rental.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#568 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:07 PM

Legwand was the best center moved. Moulson and Vanek are wingers the Wings would probably have little interest in bringing back. Legwand may have told Holland he would sign an extension, at the very least it seems likely he will. If Jarnkrok ends up being a #1 center Detroit got hosed. If he ends up as a 40 point guy then it's a push. If he flops Detroit wins. Nashville taking Eaves does nothing to hurt us, so you can ignore that. They got a guy who can fill in now at a position of need for a pick and a prospect who is allegedly unhappy. Bottom line.

#1 Holland literally said he would not trade prospects for rentals. 

#2 Saying he's the best center traded right now is like being the prettiest girl at fat camp. It really doesn't mean that much. 

#3 This team is not a better position right now than it was in last night. They were a bubble team last night that would get bounced by Boston or Pittsburgh. After this trade they are now a bubble team that will get bounced by Boston or Pittsburgh. They might have increased their chances of being the 8th place team by a bit, but the inverse of that is they also dropped their drafting position. And all this without increasing their odds of winning a cup.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#569 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:08 PM

This trade gives the team a shot at staying in the hunt until we get players back. If Weiss and helm return sooner rather than later, at least we can ice a good enough roster to win some games while dats is out. If dats can play in three weeks we have a solid forward group to finish off the season and hopefully go into the playoffs with.

Sure on paper we probably overpaid. But hey, I'm sure management knows something that we don't. I'm thankful that they didn't give up on the season and didn't sell the farm to do so.

Its a bummer we didn't get a top four dman, but this defense got the job done in the home stretch last year and I have faith they can do it again with a little luck with the injured players.

We got a center who can contribute on both ends of the ice. It gets a fourth line center off of our top line. Its also a player who wants to be here, and has shown in the past he can be clutch when called upon. Here is to hoping a lot of crow is eaten by seasons end!

#570 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:08 PM

Little heavy on the seasoning there Ken

#571 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

#1 Holland literally said he would not trade prospects for rentals. 

#2 Saying he's the best center traded right now is like being the prettiest girl at fat camp. It really doesn't mean that much. 

#3 This team is not a better position right now than it was in last night. They were a bubble team last night that would get bounced by Boston or Pittsburgh. After this trade they are now a bubble team that will get bounced by Boston or Pittsburgh. They might have increased their chances of being the 8th place team by a bit, but the inverse of that is they also dropped their drafting position. And all this without increasing their odds of winning a cup.

He also said that when Datsyuk was day to day and Helm was not injured.

If Weiss cannot allow us to play D and Z together, Legwand will while providing us with good defense and offense.

#572 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:10 PM

Well better start drafting centers.

#573 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

I can see it now .... Draft day deal .... Sedins and edler for our 1st rounder jurco mantha mrazek sproul pulkkinen marchenko and Tatar

Edited by nyqvististhefuture, 05 March 2014 - 07:11 PM.

#574 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

Don't have any will to watch,but for those who wants...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gVjFlUFn-z8

#575 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:12 PM

This trade gives the team a shot at staying in the hunt until we get players back. If Weiss and helm return sooner rather than later, at least we can ice a good enough roster to win some games while dats is out. If dats can play in three weeks we have a solid forward group to finish off the season and hopefully go into the playoffs with.

Sure on paper we probably overpaid. But hey, I'm sure management knows something that we don't. I'm thankful that they didn't give up on the season and didn't sell the farm to do so.

Its a bummer we didn't get a top four dman, but this defense got the job done in the home stretch last year and I have faith they can do it again with a little luck with the injured players.

We got a center who can contribute on both ends of the ice. It gets a fourth line center off of our top line. Its also a player who wants to be here, and has shown in the past he can be clutch when called upon. Here is to hoping a lot of crow is eaten by seasons end!

This. Legwand currently has the 2nd most points on the Wings, and I know the injuries doesn't help with that but he's a good player. Also 30 points in 47 Playoff games isn't too bad either.

#576 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:12 PM

He also said that when Datsyuk was day to day and Helm was not injured.

If Weiss cannot allow us to play D and Z together, Legwand will while providing us with good defense and offense.

Again, what does he gain by doing this?

Short term: The Wings are in a marginally better position to lock up the 8th seed. And again as I keep saying, get bounced by one of the top seeds.

Long term: The prospect pool is weaker by a factor of 2. First they lose a top prospect, and second they lose a chance at the highest draft pick since Marty Lapointe. 

Seems like a bad deal no matter how you spin it.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#577 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:14 PM

Ok, well I think I may be the ONLY person here that feels like this trade is solid. in fact, I think it was necessary.
First off, we are stacked with young guys. Nobody would have predicted the success of Tats, Sheahan and Jerks for this years. We have a lot of young talent in the system but the truth is, I have to believe that the organization saw something in Calle that they werent comfortable with. With all of the injuries, if they had faith in the kid, he would have been here by now. That's the truth

Secondly, we are anemic down the middle. The game in NJ exposed Andersson. If we have ANY prayer of making the playoffs, we had to address the issue right now. July is too late. Legwand is a good hockey player that has consistently performed under pressure. The guy is a defensive forward who can help our issues with D. he also hasnt had a lot if offensive help in Nashville and he's a Michigan boy so I imagine he will be highly motivated to perform.

With the re-injury to Helm, DATSYUK out 3 weeks, Weiss's setback and Zetty gone until the playoffs, I honestly believe that we don't make the playoffs unless we get a solid 2 way guy. Perhaps before the news about Dats and Helm, we didn't need to address the issue but I don't feel the team had a choice.

I'm sure that a lot if you you are wishing that the " thumbs down" button was still available but I'm saying that although I don't like loosing Calle, I do like the trade, even if it is a bit steep. IMO, without it, we don't make the playoffs....with it, we have a great good chance.
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#578 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:15 PM

What if Helm gets bought out? What's his contract like?

#579 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:15 PM

Won't matter if we make it In the playoffs and get outed first round .... We paid a high price for legwand ... No offence to him .... He's the guy I wanted today .... But the reason I wanted him was I didn't wanna give up too much , was thinking someone like Ferraro almquist Callahan + a pick .... Janrkrok was a big price to pay

Like I said before he better retire from hockey and go dance

#580 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,199 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

Look, I'm happy that we got Legwand. But, IMHO, this whole thing with Jarnkrok smells...

https://twitter.com/...332158477520896

Regarding Jarnkrok reportedly thinking of heading back to Sweden after this season, it was news to Wings Asst GM Ryan Martin.

Jarnkrok projects as a top-six center, and a good one. He's struggled, but hey, first-year NA pros are allowed to struggle. Andersson isn't going to be a top-six center, Sheahan will probably settle in as a good third-line center, and Helm is a third-line center. None of the centers in Grand Rapids project as top-sixers. Speaking of Sheahan, remember when he was supposed to be a career fourth-liner in the NHL? Remember when the DUI incident made us really wonder if he'd pan out? Remember when Tatar threatened to bolt for the KHL?

meh

Edited by Dabura, 05 March 2014 - 07:18 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!