Photo
- - - - -

Samuelsson signs new contract....... with Djurgarden.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 germanwing

germanwing

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 576 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

Chris Johnston @reporterchris 

Mikael Samuelsson is returning home to Sweden this season after signing with Djurgarden. Veteran winger played 699 NHL games.

http://kuklaskorner....-djurgardens-if

Bye Sammy!

Edited by germanwing, 29 July 2014 - 11:02 AM.

#2 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

Where's the loyalty, Kenny?

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#3 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Pragmatic Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

at his age...good move

playing at home and not Russia for an extra buck

My wish: A healthy roster

#4 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

Now the glass and boards at the JLA can sleep easy knowing that Sammy won't be around to hurt them anymore.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#5 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

Now the glass and boards at the JLA can sleep easy knowing that Sammy won't be around to hurt them anymore.  

Opposition logos have never felt so safe. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#6 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:48 AM

Bauers stock dips after record lows in shin pad orders this summer

#7 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

The right point on the PP will never be the same again...

#8 Namingway

Namingway

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

As fun as it is to bash on Sammy, I'll never forget him for starting and finishing this play:

Also the two opening goals in Game 1 of the 2008 Finals against the Pens.

And the hundreds of logo shots.

Edited by Namingway, 29 July 2014 - 01:05 PM.

#9 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:34 PM

Sammy had some good moments earlier in his career, but this is a great signing. I hope he does well, but I'm darn glad he is no longer in Detroit.

Edited by TheXym, 29 July 2014 - 02:34 PM.

It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#10 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:46 PM

Sweden's national hero returns home!

#11 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

As fun as it is to bash on Sammy, I'll never forget him for starting and finishing this play:

Also the two opening goals in Game 1 of the 2008 Finals against the Pens.

And the hundreds of logo shots.

Agreed.

All shin pad assassin jokes aside, Sammy was a bargain during his first stay here in Detroit.   He had good size, was irritating to play against, and put up good numbers for his salary. 

It's just unfortunate that Holland keeps repeating the mistake of bringing back former players, but I hold no ill will for Sammy. 

#12 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

Agreed.

All shin pad assassin jokes aside, Sammy was a bargain during his first stay here in Detroit.   He had good size, was irritating to play against, and put up good numbers for his salary. 

It's just unfortunate that Holland keeps repeating the mistake of bringing back former players, but I hold no ill will for Sammy. 

Well said!

#13 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,909 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:24 PM

Exactly, HS.  I liked the guy a lot.  Quite frankly, if someone offered me big money to return to an old job that I liked but couldn't do as well as I once did it, and I knew they knew all about my physical state, I'd sure give it a go, especially if I was unemployed and looking for work.

I just wish he could have played one more game (not necessarily for us) to hit the 700 mark.

Best wishes, Sammy!

2176-MikaelSamuelsson.jpg

#14 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

Will never forget that great goal I remember jumping out of chair and screaming my parents got REALLY pissed at me (game ended at around 4 am here *g*) and I lived at home back then.

Edited by frankgrimes, 29 July 2014 - 03:54 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#15 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,262 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:17 PM

or shin guards or team logos.

#16 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

I agree with most people on here

Sammy was the perfect whipping boy especially since he was clutch in the playoffs

He was a good role player when we had such a stacked team, and was one of the few players willing to shoot. 

Its too bad Holland decided to bring him back because now he'll always be placed into williams territory.

His playoff goal against the pens, for me is still one of my favorite goals. Something about that celly as he skated around the net pumping his fist after the wraparound just stuck in my head forever. 

Forgot about the Chicago goal, although i completely remember it now. Classic Huds / Fil refusing to shoot the puck lol

Edited by WingsallTheway, 29 July 2014 - 06:23 PM.

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing.  The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#17 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:26 PM

I agree with most people on here

Sammy was the perfect whipping boy especially since he was clutch in the playoffs

He was a good role player when we had such a stacked team, and was one of the few players willing to shoot. 

Its too bad Holland decided to bring him back because now he'll always be placed into williams territory.

His playoff goal against the pens, for me is still one of my favorite goals. Something about that celly as he skated around the net pumping his fist after the wraparound just stuck in my head forever. 

Forgot about the Chicago goal, although i completely remember it now. Classic Huds / Fil refusing to shoot the puck lol

Great recap of those goals. Nice memories to bring back. I was definitely down on Sammy at the end in a big way, but I can't put him in Jason F***ing Williams territory simply because I agree he was good in his first stint. I think Williams was worse than Sammy period during both his tenures with the Wings.

Great point about him being willing to shoot at least. Didn't people call him Shotgun Sammy at some point?

Edited by TheXym, 29 July 2014 - 09:28 PM.

#18 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:52 PM

Great recap of those goals. Nice memories to bring back. I was definitely down on Sammy at the end in a big way, but I can't put him in Jason F***ing Williams territory simply because I agree he was good in his first stint. I think Williams was worse than Sammy period during both his tenures with the Wings.

Great point about him being willing to shoot at least. Didn't people call him Shotgun Sammy at some point?

Probably lol, there was also logo hunter and shinpad assassin.

Of course Sammy isn't AS bad as Williams, who IMO was the worst forward ive seen play for the DRW since the lockout. That said, Sammy was a whole different breed of bad this season. His poor play even translated into GR, where he managed -4 in 2 games.

Edited by WingsallTheway, 29 July 2014 - 10:12 PM.

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing.  The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#19 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:48 AM

Don't forget he also had those two goals in 07 to clinch the series in San Jose.

Bye Sammy, I'm pretty sure you don't care how you tarnished your lasting reputation with Wings fans by coming back - in fact I can think of 6 million reasons why you won't care.

Edited by Nev, 30 July 2014 - 01:49 AM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#20 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:21 AM

Holland's the idiot for bringing him back when he did. You can't really blame Sammy for signing. It was frustrating and I absolutely couldn't stand that we had him the last two years given the circumstances, but I'll be damned if I throw his whole career under the bus because Holland can't find a way to make good signings anymore. He had some great moments for us during that first stint and it truly is a shame the memory is going to be sullied for many because Holland was dumb enough to bring him back when he was clearly washed up. He always had a way about him that made him a bit frustrating, but some of those huge playoff goals more than made up for it.
-Elliot...does not panic.