• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
adam_in_the_d

Mantha Still Hopes to Play in Detroit This Season

Rate this topic

Can't see it; unless we have 3 or 4 guys go down and even then I would think Callahan or Ferraro is ahead of him development wise. I would say patience is prudent with him. Coming off an injury, adapting to a league of men rather than boys, and his first real taste of pro hockey. Lots of adjustments; let's just leave him alone to find his game and when he starts leading his team/league in a couple years like Teemu has done then we can bring him up for a taste. This method has worked well for us in the past, (Tatar, Nyquist, Sheehan) so let's not break the mold or rush this kid. We need him to develop into a 1st line scorer, not a 3rd liner.

If he knew, he'd probably had pulled a Lindros

HAHAHAHA

I'm actually surprised more top picks don't hold out when a s***ty team drafts them, Like Kane with the Hawks, Crosby with the Pens, Hall with the Oilers, etc. I know two of those players ended up winning cups with their teams, but at the time they were drafted, it was'nt exactly the best place to play.

Probably a good problem to have at this point in time, having all the young guys eager, but like others I don't see him playing any time soon, and I hope he doesn't get disgruntled/overanxious in GR

1. Mantha needs to earn it first - guys like Nyquist, Tatar, Pulks worked very hard and produced before being called up - shouldn't be any different for this guy unless Holland magically decides he gets special treatment

2. There are so many guys ahead of Mantha if there is an injury - right now we have Franzen and Jurco on the sideline and Pulks is clearly ahead of Mantha on the call-up so its not likely that we see him up over those 3 unless we have a string of injuries somehow.

3. The wings will want him to spend time developing properly rather than player lower minutes in Detroit and bouncing around between teams.

1. Mantha needs to earn it first - guys like Nyquist, Tatar, Pulks worked very hard and produced before being called up - shouldn't be any different for this guy unless Holland magically decides he gets special treatment

2. There are so many guys ahead of Mantha if there is an injury - right now we have Franzen and Jurco on the sideline and Pulks is clearly ahead of Mantha on the call-up so its not likely that we see him up over those 3 unless we have a string of injuries somehow.

3. The wings will want him to spend time developing properly rather than player lower minutes in Detroit and bouncing around between teams.

Umm so the "3" guys ahead of mantha are, 1. A roster player currently out with a concussion. 2. A (recently added) roster player currently out with a back injury, and 3. The one guy who actually may be ahead of him in call ups. Is datsyuk and nyquist ahead of him too?

I think the point is that chances are Mantha isn't likely to get called up this season, and if he does, maybe for just a game or two at the end of the season. We have 14 forwards on our roster, who will all likely be healthy shortly after the all-star break, and a first call-up in Pulkkinen. So unless injuried rack up, he's not likely to play much if at all this season...

I think he will get a cup of coffee or two before the end of the season. 1 more injury and he will get his chance. While Ferraro and Challahan have more experience and are playing well at GR neither is a NHL caliber player. Both were on waivers-everyone had a chance to get them for free and everyone passed. mantha just needs to keep working. he will be fine. In the long run and in an odd way, his broken leg will be a good thing. It forced him to start and play in GR all year. The plan was heading into camp that he was going to detroit. Kaser had a nice chat about all of this on the Huge show this week.

Mantha was going to get every chance to make the team out of training camp, but that's not to say he would have made the cut. I honestly don't believe that without the injury he would have been on the team, I think in the end, Nestrasil would have still made it over him. Fact is, Holland always says that such and such player will have a chance to make the team, but in reality, said player needs to be Crosby-good to make the cut over the vets, especially a 20 year old kid, coming right out of junior. Mantha was not ready, and I'm glad he's down in Grand Rapids developing his game, but I think the injury just made an easier decision for Holland.

Also, while Ferraro may be a borderline NHL player, I think Callahan will definitely be a quality 4th line agitator that is capable of chipping in on the offense at the NHL level. Just because these guys were waived and went unclaimed at the beginning of the season means absolutely nothing. I guarantee they would not go unclaimed if they were waived at this point of the year. Before every season starts, every team is up against the roster limit, and if they are short on a forward, they will likely fill it internally before they go looking for outside help. As the season progresses and injuries start piling up, these guys become much more valuable, hence why Nestrasil was claimed by the Hurricanes. Callahan is better than Nestrasil at virtually every facet of the game, in my opinion. He will make the NHL at some point, the only question is if the Red Wings will make room for him...

Mantha was going to get every chance to make the team out of training camp, but that's not to say he would have made the cut. I honestly don't believe that without the injury he would have been on the team, I think in the end, Nestrasil would have still made it over him. Fact is, Holland always says that such and such player will have a chance to make the team, but in reality, said player needs to be Crosby-good to make the cut over the vets, especially a 20 year old kid, coming right out of junior. Mantha was not ready, and I'm glad he's down in Grand Rapids developing his game, but I think the injury just made an easier decision for Holland.

Also, while Ferraro may be a borderline NHL player, I think Callahan will definitely be a quality 4th line agitator that is capable of chipping in on the offense at the NHL level. Just because these guys were waived and went unclaimed at the beginning of the season means absolutely nothing. I guarantee they would not go unclaimed if they were waived at this point of the year. Before every season starts, every team is up against the roster limit, and if they are short on a forward, they will likely fill it internally before they go looking for outside help. As the season progresses and injuries start piling up, these guys become much more valuable, hence why Nestrasil was claimed by the Hurricanes. Callahan is better than Nestrasil at virtually every facet of the game, in my opinion. He will make the NHL at some point, the only question is if the Red Wings will make room for him...

Except Callahan's not as big, or imo, anywhere near as good on the boards as nestrasil.

I mean I can't really compare who Cally plays against/played against in preseason but still...

Nestrasil is better at protecting the puck because of his reach, but Callahan is great along the boards. He wins a lot of puck battles, he is very tenacious, and provides a ton of grit, some things Nestrasil has never been known for. Nestrasil could be a decent 3rd liner, whereas Callahan probably tops out at a 4th liner, but is the exact type of player teams need to win games. Mitch is a much better skater, hits, blocks shots, kills penalties and can chip in on the offense. You're right on one thing, Nestrasil certainly does have the size advantage, but despite that, Callahan still plays a much bigger game. He's 6'0", 190lbs, which isn't exactly small, but he plays even much bigger than that... Callahan > Nestrasil every time.

HAHAHAHA

I'm actually surprised more top picks don't hold out when a s***ty team drafts them, Like Kane with the Hawks, Crosby with the Pens, Hall with the Oilers, etc. I know two of those players ended up winning cups with their teams, but at the time they were drafted, it was'nt exactly the best place to play.

...Yzerman...