• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Richdg

Has Blashill finally lost the team?

Rate this topic

Okay so do you continue this situation or do you pull the ripcord?

Did Blasbabs get a crap roster sure but IMHO you then coach to whatever you have as a strength. If its up tempo all 60 minutes then you do it. If your talent forces you to play a trap then you do it until you have pieces to turn it another way. Either way if you can't make players buy in then maybe you ain't right for the job. Right now it seems we have no clue what to do and that starts from Chris I down to Blasbabs to the players who get a crap ton of OUR money via sales to perform at their best. 

Ping Bylsma or Tippett see if there is interest and blow things up mid year?  Bylsma is only 47 plus a pretty decent resume and from MI so maybe he has always wanted to be the coach of the team. Tippett is 56 and has a great resume have getting a lot of nothing in AZ. 

Would either of these choices get us out of the ashes of this season? What if they do and we magically get a playoff spot thus potentially screwing us out of a great draft pick how bad will this place blow up?

I lived through the Dead Wings era and it wasn't fun but I will continue to root for this team and hope these last 2 seasons were simply the bounce for upward movement.  

My .02

10 hours ago, kliq said:

meh hindsight. 75% of this board would have lost their s*** if the Wings didn't go with Blashill. 

I agree that we should have interviewed more candidates, and of course I agree that it didnt work out, but at the time it made sense. Every coach has to have their first coaching job somewhere, you can't critisize a team for going with a new coach.

Absolutely agree on some level. I was one of very few peoole on fence to be certain, though I didn’t say it would be bad nor did I expect it to be this bad. I thought we were being foolish to assume his success would translate to NHL succh as. 

My thought is and was that when you want to walk around like you’re the class of the league and an elite franchise, you need to be bringing in top people. When we brought in Babcock, he was THE guy to bring in. Solid NHL track record already; young and hungry coach still too. Someone like Blash should’ve gone to a lower-tier team to cut his teeth and the Wings bring in someone proven in 2015 if you want to keep up what seems like more of a facade than anything at this point. We’re clearly not an elite team anymore, and we don’t conduct business like one either. We haven’t in a long time.

It may be hindsight for some, but this is the same sort of bad strategic thinking that I’ve had issues with since before this decade began, and we’re now nearing the end of it. Unless something dramatic happens this year, it’s time for a new GM. 

19 hours ago, kliq said:

meh hindsight. 75% of this board would have lost their s*** if the Wings didn't go with Blashill. 

I agree that we should have interviewed more candidates, and of course I agree that it didnt work out, but at the time it made sense. Every coach has to have their first coaching job somewhere, you can't critisize a team for going with a new coach.

he's won EVERYWHERE HE'S BEEN HE'S A FER SURE GOOD NHL HEAD COACH WAY BETTER THAN DAT BUM BABCOCK!!!!!11!!1  At least according to the people who went all in on him.  I had concerns.

Yeah, winning at the lower levels is a prerequisite for getting a chance at the NHL, not a reason to keep a guy around when he's floundering.  Consider him, sure, but you have to do due diligence.  Holland didn't.  It blew up.

On 12/4/2017 at 6:47 PM, kliq said:

I'm not going to say you are wrong, but I think that's a bit simplistic. Sure most cup winners fit this mould, but most good teams in general fit this mould. What makes an elite team elite is usually "this" with very good secondary players and good to great goaltending. Even with Malkin/Crosby, if you put mediocrity around them, they still arent winning a cup. Lets not dismiss Kessel (who could be argued as being an elite winger) Fleury/Murray, Bonino, Haglin etc. 

Then there is coaching. Take Quenneville off Chicago, and I dont think they have 3 cups. Then again, they dont have 2 elite forwards ;) @Jonas Mahonas

It's not a guarantee, but how often does a team win the Cup without that triumvirate?  And when the Hawks were winning Cups, Toews was one of the best in the league, plus they had Hossa helping out Kane and Toews.

Edited by DickieDunn

Listening to Holland on the pregame tonight..... Blashill is doing a great job with the roster he has! That statement speaks VOLUMNS about our issues.

Another nugget: up until 2 years ago or so I was trying to make the playoffs every year. Is/was Holland that blind? Even if we made it everyone knew we were not going anyway. Not enough talent, aging talent, and a lack of young talent in the pipeline.

4 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

he's won EVERYWHERE HE'S BEEN HE'S A FER SURE GOOD NHL HEAD COACH WAY BETTER THAN DAT BUM BABCOCK!!!!!11!!1  At least according to the people who went all in on him.  I had concerns.

Yeah, winning at the lower levels is a prerequisite for getting a chance at the NHL, not a reason to keep a guy around when he's floundering.  Consider him, sure, but you have to do due diligence.  Holland didn't.  It blew up.

It's not a guarantee, but how often does a team win the Cup without that triumvirate?  And when the Hawks were winning Cups, Toews was one of the best in the league, plus they had Hossa helping out Kane and Toews.

I had no opinion on Blashill when he came here, I knew nothing about him. I was one of the posters hoping that Babs stayed as I knew him leaving was going to hurt us. I agree with you that he should be fired, unless the plan is to tank this which I doubt. If the plan at this point is to tank, keep him until the end of the season. Personally I would like to see Tippett. 

That's true about Hossa, forgot about him. Toews is a good player, but I wouldnt go as far as to call him elite but I dont want to get in to that again. 

4 hours ago, Richdg said:

Listening to Holland on the pregame tonight..... Blashill is doing a great job with the roster he has! That statement speaks VOLUMNS about our issues.

Not really, what coaches/GM's say in pressers/interviews is simply media management and keeping the peace. Take EVERYTHING you hear with a grain of salt. 

19 hours ago, kliq said:

I had no opinion on Blashill when he came here, I knew nothing about him. I was one of the posters hoping that Babs stayed as I knew him leaving was going to hurt us. I agree with you that he should be fired, unless the plan is to tank this which I doubt. If the plan at this point is to tank, keep him until the end of the season. Personally I would like to see Tippett. 

That's true about Hossa, forgot about him. Toews is a good player, but I wouldnt go as far as to call him elite but I dont want to get in to that again. 

Not really, what coaches/GM's say in pressers/interviews is simply media management and keeping the peace. Take EVERYTHING you hear with a grain of salt. 

There are only 2 answers: We are trying to win the Stanley Cup OR we are trying to build our team. That is all that matters. Notice he didn't say he was trying to win the cup.

He also taked about the Jets being an example to follow. Then he pointed out that they started their build/rebuild in 2008/ That was 9 years ago. They are just now becoming good. Does this mean we have to wait for 9 years before we are good? 9 years.......

9 minutes ago, Richdg said:

There are only 2 answers: We are trying to win the Stanley Cup OR we are trying to build our team. That is all that matters. Notice he didn't say he was trying to win the cup.

He also taked about the Jets being an example to follow. Then he pointed out that they started their build/rebuild in 2008/ That was 9 years ago. They are just now becoming good. Does this mean we have to wait for 9 years before we are good? 9 years.......

My point was to take what is said in a press conference/interview with a grain of salt. This can be said for most GM's/Coaches.

Countering that with more things he said does not change anything.......

3 hours ago, Richdg said:

He also said that with Larkin and Mantha they're a couple years into it.  I disagree that it necessarily takes that long every time though.  At least not if the GM is worth a damn.  If by some miracle they get Doughty, Karlsson, or another elite D and Mantha and L:arkin develop into a potent 1-2 punch at forward, all the Wings will need is a decent supporting cast.  They have part of that now.  The issue will be if they have the cap room with the albatross contracts Holland handed out like candy on Halloween.

7 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

He also said that with Larkin and Mantha they're a couple years into it.  I disagree that it necessarily takes that long every time though.  At least not if the GM is worth a damn.  If by some miracle they get Doughty, Karlsson, or another elite D and Mantha and L:arkin develop into a potent 1-2 punch at forward, all the Wings will need is a decent supporting cast.  They have part of that now.  The issue will be if they have the cap room with the albatross contracts Holland handed out like candy on Halloween.

Like Rasmus Dahlin, who has the *potential* to be better than either of those guys... I'm not too confident in us landing Dahlin, but I think we have a much better shot at him, than we do Doughty Karlsson, or any other established elite defenseman. We just need the lottery balls to fall our way. We were ONE number off both the 1st and 2nd overall picks this past draft lottery, but still ended up dropping back two spots. Hopefully we get a little luckier this time around...

On 12/6/2017 at 11:52 PM, DickieDunn said:

On 12/7/2017 at 7:24 AM, krsmith17 said:

Like Rasmus Dahlin, who has the *potential* to be better than either of those guys... I'm not too confident in us landing Dahlin, but I think we have a much better shot at him, than we do Doughty Karlsson, or any other established elite defenseman. We just need the lottery balls to fall our way. We were ONE number off both the 1st and 2nd overall picks this past draft lottery, but still ended up dropping back two spots. Hopefully we get a little luckier this time around...

Can I be honest with you, LGW.com fam?

I'm feeling optimistic about the Wings' future.

The 2018 draft class. The 2019 UFA class. I see possibilities and they excite me.

How can Blashill really lose the team though? The team is a mix of different salaries, ages, cultures, ethnicities and perspectives on life.

For most of the kids it's about getting ahead, more playtime, more bright light, praise. For the veterans it's about steadying the ship, no turnovers, nice and tight, systematic play. Yes there are exceptions, I am just pointing out general trends. Add to that all the quirks mentioned above.

In the end all of the players are governed by one simple invention - money. They play for it, they do interviews for it, they listen to the coach for it. Right or wrong.

As long as that is in effect, Blashill is in effect. With that said, the core veterans, namely Zetterberg and Kronwall have probably already discussed when and how to retire. So sure, you might feel a downish mood in the locker room. But above capital laws hold. Until money is void.

Edited by Jacksoni

1 hour ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Part of that video says Edmonton is looking at Mrazek of Detroit. Interesting...

Not sure what he would demand if he were traded.

Someone, can't remember who, reported a few days ago that Chiarelli has talked to Holland about both Mrazek and Green. For what it's worth.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Someone, can't remember who, reported a few days ago that Chiarelli has talked to Holland about both Mrazek and Green. For what it's worth.

Those two players should easily get us Pulujarvi, Nurse and their 2019 first round draft pick...

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Ah, good to know. I guess they're looking for something to put the playoffs back on their radar? That would make sense for Green. Mrazek would be more for future years, though Talbot has some pretty bad numbers this years so maybe not.

It's a good thing for our situation that there has been interest in our castaways (yes, this is a Wilson joke). Smith, Jurco, Vanek, Sheahan, WIlson... soon we will have all the picks (insert evil laugh).

Still don't know how I'd feel about losing Mrazek, though (cue goalie flame war).

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

They are looking at cheaper options than Mrazek as well though. 

Johnson

Hutchinson

Neuvirth

Pickard

Also in talks with Sabres.

If Mrazek is traded, he’s traded. I’d just hate to see him go to Edmonton, because they will actually give him a solid chance to regain form. Talbot hasn’t been there very long, and isn’t having a good season. They don’t “owe”him anything. I’m sure McLelland wouldn’t have an issue running with Mrazek. Unlike Detroit, where he can’t seem to escape Howard’s shadow because of multiple factors. Be even worse if he ends up being the goalie that gets the Oilers a Cup within a couple years, although it would be funny seeing him stick it to Holland, if he’s still around. They aren’t that far off, just need a few pieces. And they have the assets to get them.

Edited by chaps80