• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Richdg

Has Blashill finally lost the team?

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

The BEST thing would be Holland going to another team.  That's a dream.

Everytime i hear a Holland to Seattle rumour it makes my day. Time to get Fraud GM out of Detroit. Love to see how he does building a roster from scratch. Damn that would be entertaining. haha

1 hour ago, DickieDunn said:

It all depends on if he's just following orders or if these are his decisions.  I lean towards the latter.

I think its a combo. I think the direction from ownership was to keep the streak alive, but I think the moves themselves (ie. Abby signing for 7 years, Helm signing when we really didn't need him etc.) are his moves. 

Who knows though, its all guess work.  

Other then Vilardi/Ras, I have been pretty happy with his moves since it was apparent the streak was ending.

Edited by kliq

1 hour ago, kliq said:

I think its a combo. I think the direction from ownership was to keep the streak alive, but I think the moves themselves (ie. Abby signing for 7 years, Helm signing when we really didn't need him etc.) are his moves. 

Who knows though, its all guess work.  

Other then Vilardi/Ras, I have been pretty happy with his moves since it was apparent the streak was ending.

I  agree with this. The Legwand and Cole trades I think had more to do with the former. Same with the Weiss and Nielsen signings. I am willing to give him a pass on those. The Abby and Helm deals are on him tho. The Datsyuk-Chychryn-Cholowski thing wasn't any of those things or his fault IMO. Daley and Green were good, smart signings. Sheahan, Wilson, Sproul, Tatar, and Mazek trades all seem to be solid so far. So at this point, the only thing I am putting squarely on Holland is his penchant for overpaying/overextending pending UFAs. I am willing to give him at least one more draft, free agency and TDL to see what he can do before I start looking at replacements next year (YZERMAN).

Ok it seems they won’t fire Blashill until this cluster%[#^ of a season is over, but how about a compromise. Let him keep his job, but shut him the heck up. No more post game interviews with his empty, meaningless, pathetic babbling, tired cliches and excuses. You owe us that much Ilitch family!

On 3/18/2018 at 4:04 PM, chaps80 said:

Everytime i hear a Holland to Seattle rumour it makes my day. Time to get Fraud GM out of Detroit. Love to see how he does building a roster from scratch. Damn that would be entertaining. haha

In his first move as Seattle GM hockey genius Ken Holland has made a bold move by bringing Dan Clearly out of retirement to lead the new team. Meanwhile Holland responded coyly when asked if he had been persuing talks with Mikael Samuelsson who is rumored to be interested in becoming the new teams slap shot accuracy coach. Said Holland whistfully, “Nobody could put the puck dead on the goalies jersey like Sammy.”

9 hours ago, rwing said:

In his first move as Seattle GM hockey genius Ken Holland has made a bold move by bringing Dan Clearly out of retirement to lead the new team. Meanwhile Holland responded coyly when asked if he had been persuing talks with Mikael Samuelsson who is rumored to be interested in becoming the new teams slap shot accuracy coach. Said Holland whistfully, “Nobody could put the puck dead on the goalies jersey like Sammy.”

He can take his love child Howard with him too. No compensation, part of the severance package.

On 3/16/2018 at 6:13 PM, F.Michael said:

To the bold...

Get rid of Blashill - yes!

Get rid of Holland - dunno about that...Keep in mind we could get someone worse that makes numerous mistakes in numerous markets (like Chiarelli in Edmonton).

If we get Stevie Y back, I wouldn't worry too much.  Look at Tampa now. Granted, it would take awhile to get back to where we were unfortunately.

Edited by R-Dizzle

2 hours ago, NerveDamage said:

when you get pimp slapped by Errorson you can say Blash has pretty much lost respect from the team...

Screen-Shot-2018-02-21-at-3.45.09-PM-583

This is amazing :lol:

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Put it in the meme bank

Careful with that language 'round these parts

On a somewhat serious note on topic, I may not know anything, but I strongly suspect that Blashill and his lack of strategy or consistency is hurting the development of our younger players. With a few promising rookies possibly starting this year, my hopes are replaced by bitter cynicism that no matter how well they play, coach will screw it all up with mindless knee jerk line changes and more. I want to believe, but Blashill has certainly lost me. If you want to get a picture on how I see Blashill watch the old Bogart movie The Caine Mutiny. “Old yellow stain” is Blashill. 

1 hour ago, rwing said:

On a somewhat serious note on topic, I may not know anything, but I strongly suspect that Blashill and his lack of strategy or consistency is hurting the development of our younger players. With a few promising rookies possibly starting this year, my hopes are replaced by bitter cynicism that no matter how well they play, coach will screw it all up with mindless knee jerk line changes and more. I want to believe, but Blashill has certainly lost me. If you want to get a picture on how I see Blashill watch the old Bogart movie The Caine Mutiny. “Old yellow stain” is Blashill. 

He seemed to do pretty well in GR developing younger players. He does seem to be in over his head at the NHL level tho.

Here's my question: What solid evidence do we have that strongly suggests Blashill is hurting the development of our younger players?

Larkin's coming off a 63-point season. Mantha's coming off a 48-point season. Athanasiou's coming off a 33-point season (and he sat out the first few weeks). Bertuzzi put up 24 points in 48 games. Frk put up 25 points in 68 games and got more PP time than he deserved. Hicketts put up 3 points in 5 games and got some PP time. Mrazek has revealed himself to be a fringe NHLer. Ouellet is a fringe NHLer. Sproul is an AHLer. Do we think a "better" coach gets significantly better production from these players?

I don't agree with Blashill on everything, but I'm not convinced he has a harmful effect on our younger Wings.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Here's my question: What solid evidence do we have that strongly suggests Blashill is hurting the development of our younger players?

Larkin's coming off a 63-point season. Mantha's coming off a 48-point season. Athanasiou's coming off a 33-point season (and he sat out the first few weeks). Bertuzzi put up 24 points in 48 games. Frk put up 25 points in 68 games and got more PP time than he deserved. Hicketts put up 3 points in 5 games and got some PP time. Mrazek has revealed himself to be a fringe NHLer. Ouellet is a fringe NHLer. Sproul is an AHLer. Do we think a "better" coach gets significantly better production from these players?

I don't agree with Blashill on everything, but I'm not convinced he has a harmful effect on our younger Wings.

I think Babcock would have done better.

2 minutes ago, kickazz said:

I think Babcock would have done better.

Prob'ly. But I think that's an unfair criticism of Blashill. I also think keeping Babcock means the Wings stay in playoff bubble purgatory longer, which, IMO, would piss off fans just as much as Blashill's perceived flaws do.

53 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Prob'ly. But I think that's an unfair criticism of Blashill. I also think keeping Babcock means the Wings stay in playoff bubble purgatory longer, which, IMO, would piss off fans just as much as Blashill's perceived flaws do.

I agree losing Babcock was actually a good thing for us plus the players were just checked out when it came to him and need to see different coaching styles. When the team captain says it was time for Babcock to go that speaks volumes. 

I think Blash has actually done a good job at this point for some of the young players including AA, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Larkin. I’m not saying he’s done an amazing job but he’s done a pretty good job. A lot of us, including me prematurely reacted to him that 2nd year of coaching. But with more youngsters coming in, and AA’s ice time evolving and now Bertuzzi, we’re seeing that he’s setting up players up for success. Having said all this, I still don’t think Blashill will last for a cup run. I still think he’s like a Dave Lewis type transition guy. But like a better version of Dave Lewis.

But to answer your question you asked. The evidence would have been the dip and Tatar and Nyquist production from the Babcock to Blashill transition. They’re the only players besides the veterans who were part of the transition. All the new players have been only with Blashill.

Edited by kickazz

I often wonder, while rebuilding a team with players who are still developing, if a young coach like Blashill can still be developing during the process as well.  Are coaches expected to be perfect immediately out of the gates?  If the Red Wings had been a contender when Babcock left, then maybe a veteran coach would be preferable.  In five years could Blashill be a cup contending coach?  Or will he remain average indefinitely?  

2 hours ago, Mckinley25 said:

I often wonder, while rebuilding a team with players who are still developing, if a young coach like Blashill can still be developing during the process as well.  Are coaches expected to be perfect immediately out of the gates?  If the Red Wings had been a contender when Babcock left, then maybe a veteran coach would be preferable.  In five years could Blashill be a cup contending coach?  Or will he remain average indefinitely?  

FWIW, I believe we've seen Blashill grow as a coach over the past few years.

26 minutes ago, Dabura said:

FWIW, I believe we've seen Blashill grow as a coach over the past few years.

I agree. He’s done well with USA hockey and getting recognized around the league despite having one of the worst NHL rosters. Obviously their hasn’t been a lot of team success to compare but young players like Larkin and Mantha kind of took over the team pretty seamlessly, which is pretty impressive. At the end of year 2 we weren’t sure if this team had any first line talent in the system at all. How big a difference a year can make

1 hour ago, joesuffP said:

I agree. He’s done well with USA hockey and getting recognized around the league despite having one of the worst NHL rosters. Obviously their hasn’t been a lot of team success to compare but young players like Larkin and Mantha kind of took over the team pretty seamlessly, which is pretty impressive. At the end of year 2 we weren’t sure if this team had any first line talent in the system at all. How big a difference a year can make

It wasn't long ago that I was calling for him to be fired and complaining about how he was ruining the kids. Digging into underlying numbers and watching games a little more closely (and, overall, just trying to see things from a different point of view), I've come to realize he's right about a lot of things and has logical reasons for doing the things he does. And, crucially, he's willing and able to learn and grow and adapt.

So I've done a pretty dramatic 180 regarding Blashill and his perceived competence. TBH, I feel kinda bad for him...

>Be Blashill
>Coach your teams to play aggressive, up-tempo hockey
>Take over for Babcock and realize Babcock was using black magic and duct tape to create the illusion that this team has a pulse
>Team can't play Blashill hockey and can only play Babcock hockey if Babcock is coaching
>Blue line is bad. So, so, so bad
>Team loses Datsyuk
>"Playoffs or rebuild, Kenny? What do?"
>"I dunno, Jeff, lol"
>Kids not top-tier, old guys still best players, old guys still want playoffs
>Kids have potential but play stupid hockey
>Need to coach the stupid out of the kids and ease them into bigger roles while also leaning on veteran core, because we're still trying to win games here
>Try to push the right buttons, sometimes push the wrong buttons
>Blue line is bad. So, so, so, so, so bad
>Mrazek is a drama llama. Go away, Mrazek, you are a drama llama
>Pound head on desk

It's gotta be tough.

55 minutes ago, Dabura said:

It wasn't long ago that I was calling for him to be fired and complaining about how he was ruining the kids. Digging into underlying numbers and watching games a little more closely (and, overall, just trying to see things from a different point of view), I've come to realize...

So you finally dug in for the truth? Looks like you’re no longer lazy nor do you suck.