• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest The Axe

Howard = Average

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, kliq said:

Agreed. I will say though, if we could sign Raanta for cheap (say 2-3 mil) I would do it and then trade Howard at the deadline. Then the following year bring Howard back as the backup (1-2 mil) and we would be set. Raanta/Howard at 5mil total would be nice. Wont happen, I know that lol. I'm sure some team will overpay for Raanta.

I’d be for Raanta, but it sounds like the coyotes want to sign him before he hits free agency and he seems to like it there. Obviously nothing is guaranteed until the contract is signed but I think he’ll end up staying. He’s been solid for them. 

I don't have answers, but I am somewhat concerned about when the Wings can turn things around.  They are probably a couple years away from that (if we're being very optimistic) and if we're talking a couple years from now....who is going to be the goalie?  I don't care how good the rest of the team is, if you don't have a good goalie, you go nowhere (the better the rest of the team, the less you need in goal of course).  Howard isn't good enough now in my opinion and safe to say he won't be any better in a couple years when he's 36 (no guarantee he's still in the league).

28 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I been sick & s***. Effin' influenza effin' me the eff up. Thank God I have winning Red Wings hockey to return to.

Glad to hear you're feeling better.  I can make your re-acclimation back to the Wings much easier with a two word summary:  Piss Poor

51 minutes ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

Glad to hear you're feeling better.  I can make your re-acclimation back to the Wings much easier with a two word summary:  Piss Poor

And yet we're only, like, 7th from the bottom. :unhappy:

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG, WINGS. ALL OF IT. YOU'RE DOING ALL OF IT WRONG.

11 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Who's gonna finish with better stats, Mrazek with Vegas or Howard with the Wings? You know who I'm picking.

Come on Mrazek circle-jerk bois, come out and play, tell me about "da potential" some more

Wait, did Philly waive Petr or something? :lol:

I vote Petr.

On 3/3/2018 at 11:40 AM, marcaractac said:

He's got career AHLer written all over him

Yep.

And no Raanta in the offseason please. Money for nothing. Just roll forward with Jimmy and Jared until Jimmy's deal is up or he can be traded and figure it out then. Need to lose anyways. And when Jimmy is gone Kenny, JUST LET HIM GO!!

4 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Yep.

And no Raanta in the offseason please. Money for nothing. Just roll forward with Jimmy and Jared until Jimmy's deal is up or he can be traded and figure it out then. Need to lose anyways. And when Jimmy is gone Kenny, JUST LET HIM GO!!

I'd be open to signing Howard for another short, two year contract after next year. Why not? Who else are we going to go with? There likely won't be any better options available. Jimmy is a steady veteran that isn't going to win or lose any games on his own. The perfect stop gap before one of the kids (Larsson or Petruzzelli) are ready.

8 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'd be open to signing Howard for another short, two year contract after next year. Why not? Who else are we going to go with? There likely won't be any better options available. Jimmy is a steady veteran that isn't going to win or lose any games on his own. The perfect stop gap before one of the kids (Larsson or Petruzzelli) are ready.

2020 UFA goalies. I could handle a few of them taking over for Jimmy. Bobrovsky, Rinne, Fleury won't hit UFA, but the rest may or will.

1. Sergei Bobrovsky Columbus Blue Jackets   UFA 29 G Left $6,200,000 $7,425,000
2. Pekka Rinne Nashville Predators   UFA 35 G Left $7,000,000 $7,000,000
3. Semyon Varlamov Colorado Avalanche   UFA 29 G Left $5,500,000 $5,900,000
4. Marc-André Fleury Vegas Golden Knights   UFA 33 G Left $5,750,000 $5,750,000
5. Mike Smith Calgary Flames   UFA 35 G Right $5,000,000 $5,666,667
6. Jimmy Howard Detroit Red Wings   UFA 33 G Left $4,250,000 $5,291,667
7. Cam Talbot Edmonton Oilers   UFA 30 G Left $4,200,000 $4,166,667
8. Steve Mason Winnipeg Jets   UFA 29 G Right $4,100,000 $4,100,000
9. Brian Elliott Philadelphia Flyers   UFA 32 G Left $3,000,000 $2,750,000
10. Anders Nilsson Vancouver Canucks   UFA 27 G Left $2,000,000 $2,500,000
11. Michal Neuvirth Philadelphia Flyers   UFA 29 G Left $2,500,000 $2,500,000
12. Ryan Miller Anaheim Ducks   UFA 37 G Left $2,000,000 $2,000,000
13. Keith Kinkaid New Jersey Devils   UFA 28 G Left $1,300,000 $1,250,000
14. Al Montoya Edmonton Oilers   UFA 33 G Left $1,125,000 $1,062,500
15. Peter Budaj Tampa Bay Lightning   UFA 35 G Left $1,025,000 $1,025,000
16. Curtis McElhinney Toronto Maple Leafs   UFA 34 G Left $850,000 $850,000
17. Jean-François Bérubé Chicago Blackhawks   UFA 26 G Left $700,000 $700,000
18. Casey DeSmith Pittsburgh Penguins   UFA 26 G Left $650,000 $675,000
19. Troy Grosenick Nashville Predators   UFA 28 G Left $650,000 $650,000
20. Alex Stalock Minnesota Wild   UFA 30 G Left $650,000 $650,000
21. Pheonix Copley Washington Capitals   UFA 26 G Left $650,000 $650,000

15 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

2020 UFA goalies. I could handle a few of them taking over for Jimmy. Bobrovsky, Rinne, Fleury won't hit UFA, but the rest may or will.

Sure. I could "handle" a few of those guys as well. I'd be okay with trading Howard or letting him walk, but I don't think it's a must like you suggest. Varlamov or Talbot would be decent replacements and would provide much of the same, but neither are going to be significantly better for this team, or come here for cheaper. They may even be a little worse and / or cost a little more.

I'm not saying we must re-sign Jimmy, just that letting him go isn't a must either. Let's see who actually is available and weigh or options when the time comes. A lot can happen in a year and a half.

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Sure. I could "handle" a few of those guys as well. I'd be okay with trading Howard or letting him walk, but I don't think it's a must like you suggest. Varlamov or Talbot would be decent replacements and would provide much of the same, but neither are going to be significantly better for this team, or come here for cheaper. They may even be a little worse and / or cost a little more.

I'm not saying we must re-sign Jimmy, just that letting him go isn't a must either. Let's see who actually is available and weigh or options when the time comes. A lot can happen in a year and a half.

Well if there's any picks available at next seasons deadline for him, that trade has to be made with him being an upcoming UFA. Tank again then look at options in summer. If they decide Howard would be the best option (for WAY cheaper), he can re-sign July 1 if he wants. If not, or he signs with the team he was traded to, so be it.

I'd just prefer to have him gone for good once he's gone. Just like all the vets with big money deals. Time to move on. He may even want to leave Detroit in the past as well. He'll be in his mid-30's, short window to still try to win a Cup for a guy who's been injured a few times. No chance of that in Detroit.

3 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Well if there's any picks available at next seasons deadline for him, that trade has to be made with him being an upcoming UFA. Tank again then look at options in summer. If they decide Howard would be the best option (for WAY cheaper), he can re-sign July 1 if he wants. If not, or he signs with the team he was traded to, so be it.

I'd just prefer to have him gone for good once he's gone. Just like all the vets with big money deals. Time to move on. He may even want to leave Detroit in the past as well. He'll be in his mid-30's, short window to still try to win a Cup for a guy who's been injured a few times. No chance of that in Detroit.

First paragraph bold - I completely agree. I do think / hope he'll be traded at next year's deadline. I just wouldn't rule out the possibiliy of bringing him back as a veteran stop gap. Say what you will about Howard, but he is solid and fairly consistent. Which is all you want from a goaltender during a rebuild.

Second paragraph bold - I don't think Howard is ever going to win a Cup as the starter. If he does end up winning one, it'll likely be in a backup role.

Underlined - Again, a lot can change in a year and a half. We're likely a few years out from being contenders again, but with a little luck in the draft (lottery), free agency, a few key trades, it could be much sooner than that.

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

First paragraph bold - I completely agree. I do think / hope he'll be traded at next year's deadline. I just wouldn't rule out the possibiliy of bringing him back as a veteran stop gap. Say what you will about Howard, but he is solid and fairly consistent. Which is all you want from a goaltender during a rebuild.

Second paragraph bold - I don't think Howard is ever going to win a Cup as the starter. If he does end up winning one, it'll likely be in a backup role.

Underlined - Again, a lot can change in a year and a half. We're likely a few years out from being contenders again, but with a little luck in the draft (lottery), free agency, a few key trades, it could be much sooner than that.

It's always a possibility he could come back. I agree he'll never win a Cup as a starter. He's not a big game guy. Only been to the second round twice in his career, and that's when the Wings were still a contender somewhat. He'd have to play for an absolute powerhouse that just needs him to make stops, not steal games. And those situations don't exist anymore, havent for a long time. But even as a backup, it still beats futility with a team that has no chance of winning anytime soon.

Things could turn around faster in the process of rejoining the contenders if things fall into place, absolutely. But winning a Cup is years away IMO. Howard will be long gone.

17 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Do we re-sign Howard after contract is up?

On 2/6/2013 at 12:30 PM, Guest The Axe said:

I told you all this guy was just average and would struggle without #5. Seems like the Mrazek train is leaving the station and everyone is getting on board. I punched my ticket.

I'm still too busy LOLing at this to answer your question. 

That train left the station all right

Edited by The 91 of Ryans